Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Cleverley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really intrigued by the marathon mode of play, whereby you have to complete at least 10 quests and defeat all the bosses. My only issue with it is, would this this even be possible?

I mean, even at best chance the Dead King doesn't appear until the sixth turn and his movement essentially 1 hex slower than standard play, would you have the time to do so many quests and/or defeat the 9 other bosses before he caught you? And if/when he does - what if you've only defeated say, 6 of the other bosses. You might beat the DK but have still "lost" marathon mode because you didn't achieve the prior goals.

Or have I just mis-read the rulebook...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro
msg tools
I still have to try it, but I think it might involve:
- a smart use of luck stones to cycle quests
- freeing fallen cities every now and then to further slow the king down (you even get a 5th talisman fighting one of the bosses)
- trying to distract him from his goal with the ruin event that makes you his target for 3 turns leading him astray (probably harder to get, but should give you a few more turns if it works and, since you are already chasing down all other bosses, trying the ruins should be a must anyway in order to hope for the double rewards)

Probably a different map disposition to make the cities more distant from one another should help as well ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Loos

Wisconsin
msg tools
designer
A few hints: Look at getting Teleportation Runes and the Stave of Dragons to help in outrunning the Dead King. Even in normal mode, completing the amount of quests and bosses required in marathon is possible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cleverley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shiden wrote:
A few hints: Look at getting Teleportation Runes and the Stave of Dragons to help in outrunning the Dead King. Even in normal mode, completing the amount of quests and bosses required in marathon is possible!

Yea, I'm sure it is possible. I just wasn't sure if I was overlooking a rule or two to ensure you are able to achieve everything before encountering the Dead King.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
paperparachute games! http://games.suspended-chord.info/
mbmbmbmbmb
So, to clarify, in Marathon play, if the Dead King attacks you before you’ve done all the stuff, you lose regardless of whether you kill him or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Mariucci

Wisconsin
msg tools
designer
mbmb
A good strategy to have with this game style is to change your map up a bit and try to make the Dead King work hard for his cities. Also, get some Luck Stones ready at your disposal to re-roll those terrible situations where he rolls the closest city for his target. That very first target can make your game a bit more difficult. Another way to do it is to stock up on Teleportation Runes in order to kite the king.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
paperparachute games! http://games.suspended-chord.info/
mbmbmbmbmb
That’s a good strategy tip, but it doesn’t answer the question... what happens if the Dead King attacks you before you do all the things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Mariucci

Wisconsin
msg tools
designer
mbmb
THe way the rulebook is currently written, you'd defeat the Dead King but also lose the game. However, that wasn't the exact intent. We'll likely add this to the errata. The Marathon play was meant to allow folks to get through more content.

If you find he still moves too quickly for this style of play, you can choose to move him a bit slower, or simply see how much of the content you can get through before he targets and attempts to destroy you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.