Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fight question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordy Rousse
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Ok so let’s say I have 6 strikes in my hand and there is a villain that takes 6 strikes to kill. The Fight on the card says KO one of your heroes. The rules state to resolve fight before dealing damage. Does this mean you can not kill the villain? Just making sure I’ve been playing this correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a card effect says to KO one of your heroes, that hero is not KOed until the end of the turn, so you can still use their fight/recruit power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jroussecbc wrote:
Ok so let’s say I have 6 strikes in my hand and there is a villain that takes 6 strikes to kill. The Fight on the card says KO one of your heroes. The rules state to resolve fight before dealing damage. Does this mean you can not kill the villain? Just making sure I’ve been playing this correctly.

You can still fight the Villain. All your attack damage goes into a pool that you can use whenever. The rules say you can KO Heroes that you've played that turn, so the play order would go as follows:

1. Play your cards, total attack generated = 6
2. Fight Villain with an attack value of >= 6
3. Apply Villain's Fight effect, which requires you to KO a Hero
4. KO one of the Heroes you played that turn, or someone else still in your Hand

EDIT: ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that the Fight rules timing in the core rulebook is wrong, and has never been updated. The rules mistake didn't matter when the core was released, but it matters now with the many expansions with unusual Fight effects.

Here's the corrected version posted by the designer:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/10584472#10584472
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyndam22 wrote:
When a card effect says to KO one of your heroes, that hero is not KOed until the end of the turn, so you can still use their fight/recruit power.

This is definitely incorrect. The hero is KO'ed immediately when resolving the Fight effect.

Jroussecbc wrote:

"Strikes" is a confusing colloquialism since the game also has Master Strike cards. The proper term is Attack, fwiw.

"One of your heroes" means a hero you have in hand or a hero you've already played this turn. (This is defined in the rulebook.)

Played cards accumulate Attack and Recruit points (as indicated on the cards) into pools: an Attack pool and a Recruit pool. Once a card is played, you're done with it. It's out of your hand, just sitting on the table, and it can be KO'ed without affecting your total Attack or total Recruit in your pools. You then spend Attack points from those pools to fight Villains and the Mastermind.

The timing doesn't really matter in this case, but you're also touching on an erratum for the rulebook which has sadly never been corrected in any subsequent printings. Technically, Fight effects are resolved after defeating the Villain, not before. Check out the FAQ here for a link to a post by the designer, Devin Low, for details:

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Legendary_Marvel_FAQ#toc...

Welcome to the Legendary BGG forums community!

Hoping this helps,
Ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than just applying the rule (as corrected) and all the other good ways of looking at it, I look at it this way from the beginning, and it avoids confusion:

"Fight" in this game is never an attempt. It's a kill. If you didn't have enough strike points for a villain, you didn't fight him. So the KO has to be resolved after the villain is killed. Any other way and it's a contradiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls