Germany
Goettingen
flag msg tools
Brettspielblog.net
badge
Visit my blog: www.brettspielblog.net
mbmbmbmbmb
We want to start charterstone with 6 players
everyone wants to play it, nobody wants to retreat.
The Problem with six players is, that there will always be someone who isn't available. Real lifer matter, exams, work, etc will make it nearly impossible to get together all the six of us at least once every week.

So I wonder if it is a good idea to start the game with 6 players and play it every week. If in the second week only 5 us are available we play with 5, if there will be another person is missing next week we play with this group and if the next week there will be only four of us, we will play with 4, maybe playing next week with 6.

do you think this is a good idea?
or will the people who are not present miss to much?

This is the only way I see us finishing the game, but I don't want to rob somebody a major piece of the charterstone experience.

if we leave out somebody, should we just leave him out? automa him?
any ideas?
thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game is by far the best with 6.

What I did was have all 6 people commit to days when they would be free for several hours at least, and thus we have been able to play multiple games per session. It has taken us 4 sessions to play through 9 games, and I'm currently trying to schedule what may be our concluding session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Pufky
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speak with everyone first, see what they are comfortable with.

Two ideas:
- Have an automata run the player (might be too strong)
- Give the player that missed the same VP as the lowest scoring player (and equivalent end of game winnings). Leave the stuff that was in their charter box as it was.

Consider using the inactive charter rules for setting up the next game if no automata is used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomás Pellón
Spain
flag msg tools
You could always use modified automa (building from hand if possible and giving cards from crates to their hand). Then, once they get back, give them the average amount of resources from other players, make them spend glory earnt and capacity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Auken
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Changing player counts within the same group? (possible game 1-2 spoilers)
We just use Automa for missing player per printed rules. The only exceptions are:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
We have them only start with minions they have carried over (not 1 of each)

#2 When assigning acquired glory we add to row(s) they have already started (if multiple we just ask where they would like to apply).

#3 We award any set-up bonuses they have acquired that apply i.e. 3 points etc.

We leave any other resources/cards that they carried over in their charter box and they start with these for the next game they attend. NOTE: We are only on game 5 and have only had to cover 1 player for 1 game, but this seemed to work pretty well. We are also playing tonight and will be using 1 Automa for a different player - So we'll see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Chris, we used the automa with some house rules:

#1: We took 1 of each for the automa game only, but reset the charter box to the components from the previous game.

#2: We just recorded stars/capacity and let the player assign it on return.

#4: When building/crating, we used the cards the player already had first, and only used the advancement board as described in the automa rules if the player had none of the card in question. Unlocked cards went to the player, discarding down at random at the end of the game as necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd strongly recommend having a core group of at least 4 of the initial 6 players. Five would be even better. IMHO, there needs to be aq feeling that the group has really worked together to build the map together. We have six players as well, and with the right players this number **definitely** seems best to me as well.

However, it was clear from the outset that four members could meet each week at the same time, but that two of the players might have occasional other conflicts. With this in mind, we played the first two games with five, the sixth player became available, and now we're playing with six. Last week two of the core players were sick so we skipped a week. However, if one or both of the non-core players can't come, we'll still play without them - either with Automata or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.