Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting. What am I seeing here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
He scanned in stuff to Excel, then he set up a board using cells and then did stuff. I don't know how much is scripted though.

It's also probably enough of a format for people to play by forum on google docs if they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertjan Davies
Netherlands
Enschede
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The title of this topic is "Gaia _solitair_".

I assume - besides finding it fun to 'program' it in Excel by the author - it's to mitigate the hassle of setting up and tearing down, which is a common problem with solo-play (but in particular with games rich in components like Gaia Project)

It would be a bonus if the 'automata-part' is automated.

It would be a bigger bonus if you can use it for a multiplayer (registration) tool.

The latter makes me think, it will not be a feature, but i don't mind being wrong laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Egel
Germany
Solingen
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mb
Squares instead of hexagons? How is that supposed to work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yonek wrote:
Squares instead of hexagons? How is that supposed to work?

squares assigned like this have 6 neighbors like hex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Peters
Netherlands
Brunssum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DJStudley wrote:

I translated the solo variant to Excel.
Complete setup is automated
Placement of buildings is automated
Adjustment of the faction board is automated
Action selection is automated
Automa card selection is automated

What not (yet) is automated:
Scoring
Going up the tech board
Choosing your boosters
Choosing the federation tiles
Choosing the tech tiles and advanced tech tiles
Movement of power
Movement of resources (including QIC)

A complete solitaire game can be played in about 90 minutes. Due to the size of the thing it takes some calculation time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Baker
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Wow! I am really interested in this. Looks like you are doing a great job. I have played solo a bunch of times on TTS, but this seems to have the potential to be much more streamlined. Can't wait to see your final product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Peters
Netherlands
Brunssum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GRDavies wrote:
The title of this topic is "Gaia _solitair_".

I assume - besides finding it fun to 'program' it in Excel by the author - it's to mitigate the hassle of setting up and tearing down, which is a common problem with solo-play (but in particular with games rich in components like Gaia Project)

It would be a bonus if the 'automata-part' is automated.

It would be a bigger bonus if you can use it for a multiplayer (registration) tool.

The latter makes me think, it will not be a feature, but i don't mind being wrong laugh

It can be made available for multiplayer games.
2-players obviously asking less "programming" than more players as I have to add the extra tiles. The only real problem is the available screen space to put all the faction boards and the player area on one screen. It would be possible to minimize and enlarge them switching turns of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oedipussy Rex
msg tools
Maccit wrote:
A complete solitaire game can be played in about 90 minutes. Due to the size of the thing it takes some calculation time.

Yeah, it takes a lot of computation time. I made a character spreadsheet for HackMaster 4.0 (an Advanced Dungeons & Dragons variant) that didn't use any scripts, just table lookups and named variables, and there were noticeable delays. I can just imagine the wait time for this thing.

(Oddly enough, when I dropped Windows for Linux and converted the spreadsheet to Open/Libre Office, the file size dropped significantly and the delays disappeared.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Peters
Netherlands
Brunssum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OedipussyRex wrote:
Maccit wrote:

Yeah, it takes a lot of computation time. I made a character spreadsheet for HackMaster 4.0 (an Advanced Dungeons & Dragons variant) that didn't use any scripts, just table lookups and named variables, and there were noticeable delays. I can just imagine the wait time for this thing.

(Oddly enough, when I dropped Windows for Linux and converted the spreadsheet to Open/Libre Office, the file size dropped significantly and the delays disappeared.)

I have been thinking about this. The real goal for writing this application was to have the faction board graphically updated. However if I strip all the fancy stuff it should become quicker and suitable for more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maccit wrote:
DJStudley wrote:

I translated the solo variant to Excel.
Complete setup is automated
Placement of buildings is automated
Adjustment of the faction board is automated
Action selection is automated
Automa card selection is automated

Very cool! Thanks for the explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.