Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Morton
United States
Republic
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't even played the game yet, but I've overheard a couple of guys at the FLGS expressing annoyance with certain cards that are only available with certain warbands, but would be useful with other warbands, so you need to buy all the warbands to stay comptetitive.

I've heard of a problem like this with FFG's Xwing also, that some cards only come with certain ships but most players need those cards, even though they may not want to play that ship.

Is this a problem Shadespire has, or not really?
thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s only a problem if you’re wanting to have several competitive decks prebuilt.

If you’re playing casually it’s not really an issue.

I play this pretty much exclusively with my wife, & there are times when she’ll beat me to a card we only have 1 copy of. I find following battle over the card to be part of the fun. Also, it’s a good excuse if you lose 😛

“I would have won if I had that card”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That being said, I’d would be extreamly happy if GW would release the cards by themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The comparison is both apt and inapt. If you're building a deck super competitively, and there's a specific generic card you want, you will have to buy its associated warband.
That said, most warbands are only half generic cards anyway (the rest are faction-specific), and to compare it to the X-Wing situation where you might have to buy several copies of a ship you don't want just for cards is an exaggeration. X-Wing has had several cards considered essential that were only available in specific ships. Shadespire's workhorse cards are already included in duplicate in the core box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
ovresmot wrote:
I haven't even played the game yet, but I've overheard a couple of guys at the FLGS expressing annoyance with certain cards that are only available with certain warbands, but would be useful with other warbands, so you need to buy all the warbands to stay comptetitive.

I've heard of a problem like this with FFG's Xwing also, that some cards only come with certain ships but most players need those cards, even though they may not want to play that ship.

Is this a problem Shadespire has, or not really?
thanks

Each expansion contains everything for a specific warband (miniatures, unit cards, and faction-specific cards), plus 31 "universal" cards that any faction can use. Each expansion is completely unique, with no duplicate cards (note: you can only have one of each card in a deck, so you never need duplicates unless you want to pre-construct several decks). That means, if you want at least one copy of every universal card, you need to buy every expansion.

I would normally take issue with this distribution model, but there are several reasons why I'm okay with it here. The factions are pretty cheap (in the UK, it's less than £15), you get miniatures that you can use in other games or just to paint (and the miniatures are lovely), and you get the other faction cards so you can plan counter-strategies based on what you might face.

Furthermore, Shadespire is a fast game, and while you'll probably stick with one band most of the time, having a chance to switch bands for a few games is really great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
Just be glad the cards aren't random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United States
Mullica Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In X-Wing you had situations where you might want to buy a fighter out of faction for a neutral upgrade card. So for $15+ you'd have a piece of plastic you don't want and maybe a card or two you do. That one ship isn't likely to be very useful on its own.

In Shadespire, you pay $30 for an expansion to get 30 or so neutral cards and a fully playable new warband. You might not want it, but compared to a single piece in X-Wing you have a ready to go team. In the future you might want to try them out.

It is nice that the core set gives you two of each neutral card so two players have everything. It would be nice if they did the same in the expansions but I can't fault them much for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.