Neon Dawn» Forums » Crowdfunding

Subject: News on KS date (also new title)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news on a possible date for the KS launch?

Also, the name has been changed from Aftermath to Neon Dawn. I am just curious to know the reasons behind this change. New arts direction? New thematic? Still post-apocalyptic but now with dashes of cyberpunk?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Caldwell
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the interest in Neon Dawn!

I am approaching the finish line, but essentially have a never ending "to do" list (I'm sure other designers can relate!). As this is a one man outfit, I can tell you that I would like to launch the KS within the next few months. However, I can really only commit to "when it's ready", but as soon as possible. I know that's kind of a weak answer, but it will lead to the best possible entertainment experience that I can provide. Essentially, I'd rather do it right than fast! Right AND fast would be even better though.

Regarding the name change from Aftermath to Neon Dawn, it was completely to avoid potential legal issues. There is an RPG from the 80's that owns the "Aftermath!" trademark. I reached out to the trademark owner and was educated on the fact that they are currently involved in legal action with another company over the AFTERMATH! trademark and would have to take action to not weaken their claim. I was strongly encouraged to select a new title or license the usage from them if my game was based in the AFTERMATH! world, but it isn't.

At the end of the day, I want nothing to do with lawsuits. I changed the name to Neon Dawn, which is not trademarked (or really used for much else). Interestingly enough, Neon Dawn really fits the world even better than Aftermath. I suppose things work out the way they do for a reason!

That said, I'm always happy to answer any questions you may have prior to the KS launch. I've also been putting more effort into getting pictures of the current prototype out. At this moment, I am working on putting 10 professional prototype copies together, and I will soon be seeking reviewers to send them out to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the info. Good call for the name change, launching an indie game is difficult enough, no need to add an extra layer of challenges.

I am looking forward for reviews and let’s play video!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Favazza
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed playing this game on Tabletopia last September. I think I like the name change! Actually seems more unique.

Have any significant rule changes been made since last September?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Caldwell
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been refinement and rules tweaks, only keeping the ones that make the play experience better, of course. I'm in the middle of a design pass on the rule book right now, but I should be able to upload it this evening so that you can see the rule set that will be included in the professional prototypes sent out to reviewers.

The physical game experience definitely blows away the Tabletopia version!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Caldwell
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The new rule book upload was approved and is now available in the Files section, or you can follow this link: Neon Dawn Rule Book

I have written out a script for a 5 minute "How to Play" video that should explain everything someone needs to know to jump into a game of Neon Dawn. Ideally, it will be something that can be played on a iPad or computer that everyone can watch before playing. I'm debating whether to do the video "in character" and go all out cosplay style, or just to do a standard how to play video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Favazza
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this on Tabletopia again. Very fun. I think I'm definitely going to back it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.