Tom Lopresti
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Our favorite fantasy game is Legends of Andor, because we enjoy the different quests you have to complete across the big map. We like planning out how we are going to complete each quest.

We don't enjoy the games as much where you move and attack repeatedly.

We are asking for a recommendation on which might be a better fit for us - Descent (coop) or Gloomhaven?

Thank you very much for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
TomandJonna wrote:
Our favorite fantasy game is Legends of Andor, because we enjoy the different quests you have to complete across the big map. We like planning out how we are going to complete each quest.

We are asking for a recommendation on which might be a better fit for us - Descent (coop) or Gloomhaven?

Thank you very much for your help.

I would say neither of those as they are primarily attack driven. Maybe something more like Legacy of Dragonholt?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven certainly requires some grinding on early levels with lots of fighting. It still is probably sort of puzzly to sort out how to take out all of the monsters with your limited resources.

Another suggestion:
Mage Knight Board Game also requires good planning and is highly replayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your previous, I would go w/ Gloomhaven which isn't dice-driven as Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
warrenfitz45 wrote:
Based on your previous, I would go w/ Gloomhaven which isn't dice-driven as Descent.

This, although Gloomhaven still is very different from Andor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, Legends of Andor is one of my two favorites in the cooperative genre. The other is Thunderbirds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andor was my favourite coop game until Gloomhaven came along. It is more random and not as deterministic as Andor, but still quite puzzly and optimization-heavy. And keep in mind that Gloomhaven is basically 100% fighting, so if you don't like that on principle, you won't like Gloomhaven (nor Descent).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you all very much for your help.

We appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Movement is precious in Gloomhaven so you don't do much of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TomandJonna wrote:

Definitely avoid either of these if you aren't a fan of (tactical) combat.

Mage Knight Board Game has been mentioned, and I agree it requires a lot of careful planning, however, it's a lot heavier than Legends of Andor and takes a long time to play with many players. If you don't mind that it's an excellent suggestion.

You may also want to have a look at Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. It has quite varied scenarios similar to the Legends in Legends of Andor and shares the closeness to Euro-style gameplay. It features more randomness introduced by event cards and weather dice, but that's where the importance of planning comes in: It's all about mitigating (bad) luck and deciding which actions are so important that you spend the resources to guarantee their success.
It also plays well and reasonably quickly at every player-count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.