Xia: Legends of a Drift System» Forums » Rules

Subject: NPCS and the updated rule on death rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the new rules in Embers, players no longer skip a turn when killed, but instead respawn with unblockable damage. Does the same rule apply to NPCs?

I ask because I'm playing a solo game right now where the Enforcer is taking his turn before the Scoundrel, and both are in close proximity to my ship. If the new death rule applies to NPCs, then even if the Enforcer kills the Scoundrel, the Scoundrel immediately respawns nearby and attacks me (with up to 2d12 damage, twice).

To lay it out for those interested, here's exactly what happened:

1) I ended my turn undamaged in the Kiln.
2) System expanse was Loath and caused the Scoundrel to spawn right next to the Kiln.
3) The Enforcer flew over close enough to shoot the Scoundrel with missiles, killing him.

If the new rule applies to NPCs, then the Scoundrel respawns right where he just died immediately and then comes and attacks me in the Kiln. Which, hey, that's life in these dangerous starlanes, I get it, but it's pretty rough for this game where my Goal is the Architect one where you need to Sift a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imaginary Thomas
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, NPCs spawn back at their spawn points (Loath and Kempler). Unless you mean those spaces are nearby.

And there's an optional rule in solo that they change behaviour when killed. That might make a difference in their actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loath is adjacent to The Kiln in my game.

NPCs only (optionally) change behavior when killed by a player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 16 of the base game rulebook, under NPC Deatils - Death and Respawn

"...Otherwise, the Death and Respawn of an NPC follow the same rules as those for players (see pg. 9)."

Since players roll a die to respawn, the NPC would as well, so he likely wouldn't be next to you.

Funny thing is I had this exact situation just now myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert van Bruggen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as far as i know, he will not respawn right away but at the start of his turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the question, Fed, and it seems like you've read the rules carefully.

Yes, the NPCs are intended to respawn at the beginning of their turns, without delay. They also do start with damage on them, based on their tier (1 damage for Merchant/Scoundrel, 2 damage for Enforcer).

Also, just to remind you, when an NPC is first discovered, you get to pick where they "sit" at the table. It sounds like you made the best choice possible, to have the Scoundrel sit after the Enforcer, so the Enforcer went first, destroyed the Scoundrel, and then maybe the Scoundrel would respawn far away. Note: When NPCs respawn, they appear at a random spawn point (roll d20 just like player ship respawns).

One other thing to consider is that you know the top of the sector stack has Loathe in it (within the top 6-7 at the beginning of the game, and if the Enforcer was already out, then top 6, minimum). So, if you know that System Expanse is coming up and the Scoundrel would kill you if Loathe appears, you're taking that risk by being nearby. Also, if you explore strategically, you can control where System Expanse will occur, so if you're worried about the Scoundrel you can deal with it that way too.

I hope you're having fun with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the quick replies, and I'm especially happy to see Ira's response showing me that I played it correctly (except the I should have respawned the Scoundrel randomly, not at Loath).

The Scoundrel never actually killed me during this game, just did 11 damage to my Tier 2 ship which kept me from doing much on my next turn.

I was playing on Hard, which is recommended in the Campaign Mode instructions, but perhaps I'm not ready for Hard yet, with this being only my second game ever. XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FreakGIB wrote:
as far as i know, he will not respawn right away but at the start of his turn.

In this game, as it happens, his turn was immediately after the Enforcer's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Fedaykin98 wrote:
I was playing on Hard, which is recommended in the Campaign Mode instructions, but perhaps I'm not ready for Hard yet, with this being only my second game ever. XD
Obviously you should feel free to play on whatever difficulty maximizes your fun! Hard is indeed hard. I'm a very experienced Xia player, and I lost the first two games of my most recent solo campaign! But personally, I find that challenge fun, because it makes the victory that much sweeter. Also, the campaign has a natural balancing mechanic since you get a campaign reward after each game, win or lose, so eventually you should be able to get a victory.

Out of curiosity, what campaign rewards have you picked so far?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:
Obviously you should feel free to play on whatever difficulty maximizes your fun! Hard is indeed hard. I'm a very experienced Xia player, and I lost the first two games of my most recent solo campaign! But personally, I find that challenge fun, because it makes the victory that much sweeter. Also, the campaign has a natural balancing mechanic since you get a campaign reward after each game, win or lose, so eventually you should be able to get a victory.

Out of curiosity, what campaign rewards have you picked so far?

That's a good point about the natural balancing mechanic of the rewards.

This was my first campaign game, and only my second Xia game ever. The first was a 10 point solo game that I might have won had we (I was letting my six year-old son roll the dice towards the end) not rolled a one and had a Wormhole collapse around the ship on the final, fateful turn.

So I probably need more Xia practice in general before trying Hard mode. I'm hoping to get some multiplayer games ASAP, and perhaps I'll scrap this campaign attempt and try one on Normal for now. Part of the challenge with Hard is that, with only 2000 credits to spend, you can't really afford to buy any of the mods that reduce the randomness.

In this game I set up with Swamp Rat using a d6 engine and d6 shields. I had drawn two dead worlds for the beginning, so I was going after the Archaeologist goal - I'd placed them both adjacent to Nyr. You would think that this would have led to super fast fame or riches, but it took a couple of turns before I rolled anything high enough to Excavate a Relic.

Once I successfully salvaged and sifted two Relics, I bought a Tier 2 ship (the one that lets you roll to heal damage seemed good for this usage case), and then drew Loath, leading to my question about Scoundrel behavior.

By the way, when the Scoundrel flees to Loath, I assume he flees to the planet itself, probably just inside the shield gate. Is that how everyone else plays it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Fedaykin98 wrote:
By the way, when the Scoundrel flees to Loath, I assume he flees to the planet itself, probably just inside the shield gate. Is that how everyone else plays it?

I may be confusing planets, but I think the mission point for Loathe is inside the planet, isn't it? If so, I have the Scoundrel go to the mission point (or towards it at least).

If I'm misremembering and the mission point is outside, then I just have the Scoundrel go as far into the planet as he can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Fedaykin98 wrote:
Correct - just inside the planetary gate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohannas Mamamas
United States
Laie
Hawaii
flag msg tools
Can NPCs repair damage?
Might be a rule I missed somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
No they cannot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.