Hide
18 Posts

Gaia Project» Forums » General

Subject: Post ideas for cool 'first player token' alternative rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GJ Davies
msg tools
I think the token in box is really, really bad. This is a good complaint to have about a game, I think, given that it is the worst I can say.

We currently use a small plastic figure of Tom Baker as The Doctor, who happens to have a dark blue hexagonal base, instead of the criss-crossed standee supplied with the game. Don't ask what he's doing in the Gaia universe. It seems plausible.

But it has sparked an urge to find the 'perfect' first player token now. Some sort of vessel or station, perhaps? The hexagonal pedestal is good for keeping it in theme.

Any more suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps my group has missed something, but we're not sure why there is a first player token to begin with. Is this a tie-breaker or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff0 wrote:
Perhaps my group has missed something, but we're not sure why there is a first player token to begin with. Is this a tie-breaker or something?

It's only really needed when you aren't using the advanced turn order rules. You probably don't NEED it, but it helps you remember who the first player was in each round, for those groups that may need it. "Wait, who's first again?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, right. I forgot that the turn order track was optional. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jeff0 wrote:

Actually, the first player token is for decoration and the turn order track is mandatory. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If not using the turn order track, then whoever passes first in a round takes the marker to show that they are first in the next round. Since we always use the turn order track, we never use the 1P marker.

I suppose a Doctor Who figure or TARDIS is as good as any other idea. You could also find some kind of globe or planet on a pedestal, a Flash Gordon ray gun, or a mini light saber. Any knick knack from your favorite sci-fi universe would be appropriate.

Or grab the giant orange 1P pawn from Terra Mystica, now that you won't be playing that anymore. laugh (After Fire & Ice came along, our TM pawn was relocated to Bruges, which also has a poor cardboard standee for 1P.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
Or grab the giant orange 1P pawn from Terra Mystica, now that you won't be playing that anymore. laugh

I wouldn't say that... the coming expansions for Terra Mystica are all different kinds of awesome. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Clock-wise game order is so last-millenium - if you play Terra Mystica and Gaia Project with variable turn order both are significantly better (sorry Jens )).

Nevertheless, Altiplano comes with the most highly visible first player token I've seen yet in a game.

Not easy to beat that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dragon from Helios? There are even 2 in the game, just because one wasn’t wasting enough space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GJ Davies
msg tools
jeff0 wrote:

For two player games, passing a token is easier than reordering on a track. I play a lot of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GJ Davies
msg tools
DrumPhil wrote:

Or grab the giant orange 1P pawn from Terra Mystica, now that you won't be playing that anymore. laugh (After Fire & Ice came along, our TM pawn was relocated to Bruges, which also has a poor cardboard standee for 1P.)

Never bothered with Fire and Ice. I like the new board, of course, and having a few new tokens is cool, but the races feel really shoe-horned in. The terraforming wheel, so pivotal to mechanics and theme in TM, seems broken by that. Only the variable end game scoring tempted me, and it didn't seem enough to justify buying the whole set.

So far, I think Gaia is a *very* different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The fire and ice factions actually make 5p work better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
GJDavies wrote:
jeff0 wrote:

For two player games, passing a token is easier than reordering on a track. I play a lot of these.
Indeed, with 2p it's the smoother approach to just pass/retain the start player token.

How about using a rocket from Starfarers of Catan?

Or one of the alien figures from Starfarers (if you happen to own them)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GJ Davies
msg tools
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
The fire and ice factions actually make 5p work better.

I am sure you are right. I just feel that if new races were really going to be fitted into the game, a new terrain type would have to be added to the wheel in sequence, which I appreciate would take immense work. I don't really like the 'bolted-on' feeling of them. Circumventing the core mechanic.

What I'd have liked to see instead would have been alternatively sided boards of the old colours, perhaps to replace races deemed less powerful. e.g. a yellow board with Nomads on one side and some new race on the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Egel
Germany
Solingen
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mb
DrumPhil wrote:

Or grab the giant orange 1P pawn from Terra Mystica, now that you won't be playing that anymore. laugh

Thats exactly what i thought. whistledevil

But joke aside. I really use the orange-pawn as a turnmarker or startplayertoken in many games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
I don't know if it's just my copy but the first player marker that comes with the game doesn't sit flat on a table and if you force it to sit flat it falls apart. Pretty terrible.

In addition to being one of the best looking inserts I've seen for ANY game, Tower Rex's GP insert has a really fantastic looking first player marker: https://www.etsy.com/listing/590260437/gaia-project-board-ga...

I really want this insert but for price and the fact that GP doesn't take a crazy amount of time to setup and put away I am waiting to see how much play time it really gets with my group and solo. It's not like Gloomhaven where an insert really affects how much I'll get to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Weaver
United States
Denver
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GJDavies wrote:
jeff0 wrote:

If you can't keep track of start player in a 2p game without a marker of some sort, then you probably shouldn't be playing GP haha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a planet first player marker:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.