BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: What's going on in Israel with Netanyahu? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lola Granola
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've seen various articles about a corruption case involving the Israeli Prime Minister, but I am having trouble following what it all is, and I also don't know if the paper I am seeing all of the articles on (Haaretz) is well regarded.

As a selfish American, I am really mostly interested in whether the corruption might link back to the US and Bibi's ties to Jared Kushner, because I would love to see anyone connected to Trump go down, but if there is true corruption there aside from that, it is always good to be caught. Many governments of the world certainly seem to need a good cleansing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/13/middleeast/netanyahu-corrupti...

Israeli police said Tuesday there was "sufficient evidence" to indict Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on criminal charges in two corruption cases.

Neither case (two) have connections to the U.S.A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isreal has been influenced elections for over 60 years, but so have several other countries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tama
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Justice Minister: Israel Must Keep Jewish Majority Even at the Expense of Human Rights
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/justice-minister-israel-...

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-israel-jails-fi...

This is more concerning to me. Eritrea is probably the most oppressive country that you haven't heard about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not surprising that a rank populist who feeds on peoples basest emotions might be corrupt. Just look at Huey ("the Kingfish") Long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric_Tama wrote:
Justice Minister: Israel Must Keep Jewish Majority Even at the Expense of Human Rights

This is more concerning to me. Eritrea is probably the most oppressive country that you haven't heard about.

Haaretz has an ax to grind. Never believe Haaretz without confirmation. They've been denouncing the state as a bad idea since 1948.

To the OP:

Israeli politics is rife with corruption. In the last dozen years or so, every PM but one (it seems like) fell to a corruption scandal and that one went into a coma. Bibi was always said to be one of the less corrupt politicians although no one at that level has clean hands.

I tend to agree with those who think that his opposition is trying to clear a path for whoever is next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only heard of corruption inside Israel.
And of the 20-something son of a billionaire who bragged about exchanges of money and services between his father and the prime minister.

whac3 wrote:
In the last dozen years or so, every PM but one (it seems like) fell to a corruption scandal and that one went into a coma.

But this one is accused (not officially by the justice though) of war crimes, right ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tama
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Eric_Tama wrote:

Haaretz has an ax to grind. Never believe Haaretz without confirmation. They've been denouncing the state as a bad idea since 1948.

I heard about this originally on Democracy Now! Are you saying Bill no. P/1989/20, dated 29 July 2015 which would demote Arabic as an official language of Israel and explicitly makes the Jewish character of Israel more important than its democratic character, isn't a thing? If you really want me to, I probably could pull it up since I've taken some classes on international legal research and it might be an interesting exercise of those skills. Israel isn't good at publishing official English translations so I'll probably have to get an unofficial one from an advocacy group though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
…But this one is accused (not officially by the justice though) of war crimes, right ?

Only by people who don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric_Tama wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Eric_Tama wrote:

I heard about this originally on Democracy Now! Are you saying Bill no. P/1989/20, dated 29 July 2015 which would demote Arabic as an official language of Israel and explicitly makes the Jewish character of Israel more important than its democratic character, isn't a thing? If you really want me to, I probably could pull it up since I've taken some classes on international legal research and it might be an interesting exercise of those skills. Israel isn't good at publishing official English translations so I'll probably have to get an unofficial one from an advocacy group though.

Idiots propose bills as a political stunt all the time. No one with any sense wants to make Arabic no longer an official language. Actualy there's a stronger push to make it mandatory rather than optional in schools.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tama
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill no. P/1989/20, dated 29 July 2015 has passed 2 votes, has the support of the current government and was defended by the justice minister is rather explicitly racist terms. It is ok to admit that people in government can be racist. Jeff Sessions is racist. I just did it. I'm ok. Restricting the right of Americans to live where they want is one of the big sins in the US of the 20th century. It greatly contributed to ongoing income inequality for people of color here.
Quote:
Shaked then referred to the Ka’adan ruling and said that if such a case were to come up again or “the argument over whether it’s all right for a Jewish community to, by definition, be only Jewish, I want the answer to be ‘yes, it’s all right.’”
Are you ok with that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Lineal
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mb
Xahendir wrote:
But this one is accused (not officially by the justice though) of war crimes, right ?

Yes, Ariel Sharon was held personally responsible for the massacre of an undetermined number of Palestinian and Lebanese refugees in Sabra and Shatila in 1982 by the Kahan Commission set up by the Israeli government. The Israeli armed forces surrounded Sabra and Shatila (a neighbourhood and a camp), closed the perimeter setting up checkpoints and observation points, and "invited" the Lebanese militia into the camps, where they executed about 2000-3000 people for a day and a half without any intervention by the Israeli armed forces. Ariel Sharon, Minister of Defence, jointly with Chief of Staff, Rafael Eitan, personally gave the orders to the Lebanese militia in a meeting hours before the massacre started. It was a planned and executed war crime. Sharon paid essentially no political price for it (he was forced to resign as Minister of Defence but was retained as minister without portfolio) - and of course went on to decisively boycott peace talks after the failed Camp David summit, triggering the Second Intifada in the process, which propelled him to the position of Prime Minister.

Sharon was involved in corruption affairs, too; it's just that he escaped justice by dying. His son, also a member of Knesset, was indeed sentenced for corrupt activities involving illegal fundraising and real state favours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric_Tama wrote:
Bill no. P/1989/20, dated 29 July 2015 has passed 2 votes, has the support of the current government and was defended by the justice minister is rather explicitly racist terms. It is ok to admit that people in government can be racist. Jeff Sessions is racist. I just did it. I'm ok. Restricting the right of Americans to live where they want is one of the big sins in the US of the 20th century. It greatly contributed to ongoing income inequality for people of color here.
Quote:
Shaked then referred to the Ka’adan ruling and said that if such a case were to come up again or “the argument over whether it’s all right for a Jewish community to, by definition, be only Jewish, I want the answer to be ‘yes, it’s all right.’”
Are you ok with that?

Of course there are racists in gov't. I'll have to look into this but last I heard it was not expected to pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understood they found rather that he had not invited them in bu could not stop them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tama
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill no. P/1989/20, dated 29 July 2015 appears to be the equivalent of a U.S. constitutional amendment which explains the multiple rounds of voting and makes it even more alarming. It would be like taking the 1935 redlining regulations and adding them to the U.S. constitution in 2018, along with some other nasty stuff, including removing Arabic as an official language. The Netanyahu government is pushing this along. This has more long term implications than corruption in government officials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again I've been busy and am horrified to hear your claim it passed after all but I'd understood that it was expected to not come close to actually passing.

Still our High Cort will surely strike it down if it does pass. Such a law goes against everything this country stands for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tama
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Again I've been busy and am horrified to hear your claim it passed after all but I'd understood that it was expected to not come close to actually passing.

Still our High Cort will surely strike it down if it does pass. Such a law goes against everything this country stands for.

I don't think it has finally passed. If it is basic law, doesn't that constrain the High Court? From the little research I've done, Israel doesn't have a codified constitution yet. It just has a series of basic laws which act as a constitution and the nation-state basic law would be added to these. I really do want to be wrong about this. I know that I can come off as overly critical of Israel, but that is just because I hold democracies to higher standards than I do dictatorships or monarchies. The shit the US pulls infuriates me more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.