26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Campaign game with *extremley* low footprint rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Hill
msg tools
I will spend March abroad and I need this probably non-existant game that gives me a huge continous Campaign with an exceptionally small footprint. I need it to be small enough to allow me to have it set up in some small shitty table in a hotel room and just allows me to sit down and play for half an hour at any given time. I Think it needs to be some form of card game since I can not Think of any standard board game that can pack a full Campaign into the kind of size both luggage wise and on-table wise that I have to work with. Mage Knight is too big, Mice is too big, Pandemic legacy is too big, ...

So, is there such a game? It can be maybe a Magic booster box in size, perhaps a Little bigger and needs to be pretty darn small when layed out on the table, it needs to be solitare and it needs to be pretty darn cool!

Impossible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dequoi Jmemele
France
Paris
flag msg tools
I'll write something interesting here some day
badge
These are my dice, go and find your own !
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe One Deck Dungeon ?
It has a campaign mode but I can't say whether it's good or not (I haven't tried it yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Parker
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
How about Oh My Goods! which has 2 expansions which are campaigns.

One Deck Dungeon is a good game and well worth playing multiple times however I'm not sure it's campaign is what you are looking for.

Or how about one of the LCG's e.g. Arkham Horror
I guess you could pack several expansions into one box.

Other thoughts are
Robinson Crusoe
Nemo's War
but I'm not sure if Robinson Crusoe has a campaign or how available Nemo's war is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom B.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A possibility could be Shadowrun Crossfire without the box (several bggers have posted images of portable versions.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
(Your Name Here) and the Argonauts is a game that is free, consists of 15 tokesn, a deck, some dice and there will be at most 5 cards in play at the same time.
Depending on what you did challenges will be tougher and you will gain more options for subsequent plays. As such it's a Legacy/campaign game that's very interesting and guite difficult by the end of the campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vaelern wrote:

Other thoughts are
Robinson Crusoe
Nemo's War

No idea about Nemo's War, but the footprint of Robinson Crusoe is huge. I can barely fit everything on a 120x90 cm table for two players.
Plus Robinson Crusoe only has a campaign mode if you play with the Beagle expansion, which increases the footprint some more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Si Fei wrote:
Vaelern wrote:

No idea about Nemo's War, but the footprint of Robinson Crusoe is huge. I can barely fit everything on a 120x90 cm table for two players.
Plus Robinson Crusoe only has a campaign mode if you play with the Beagle expansion, which increases the footprint some more.

Nemo's War has a humongous board as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Defense with the expansion Fantasy Defense: The Stone King. Not sure if it available in retail just yet though.

After The Virus doesn't really have a campaign but a bunch of scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago de Arana
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Hero realms has a campaign mode now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Treparcs wrote:
Hero realms has a campaign mode now

And it's terrible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hill
msg tools
Thanks for the feedback all!

I have One deck dungeon and have looked at the Campaign a bit but it feels a bit on the light-ish side but I may well be wrong.

Arkham Horror LCG looks real interesting! My google-fu is a bit weak though, has anyone played any Campaign and want to share some experiences or know of a link to some tutorial or similar?

Shadowrun Crossfire had totaly slipped under my radar. Looks real interesting, is it any good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Shaw
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Too many games, too little time
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Oh My Goods! with either of the expansions Oh My Goods!: Longsdale in Revolt / Oh My Goods!: Escape to Canyon Brook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baldyr wrote:

I have One deck dungeon and have looked at the Campaign a bit but it feels a bit on the light-ish side but I may well be wrong.

Arkham Horror LCG looks real interesting! My google-fu is a bit weak though, has anyone played any Campaign and want to share some experiences or know of a link to some tutorial or similar?

Experience: the rules are a nightmare and needlessly complicate what is a rather streamlined experience. Plays very well solo or with two, with pre-made decks or decks you've constructed yourself.
Core box comes with a 3 scenario campaign and 5 different investigators, but if you really want to construct your deck you need two.
The Dunwhich cycle develops the concept really well and gives you an 8 to 10 scenario campaign (if you get the print on demand expansions.)
I really like how encounter decks are constructed and the agenda/act decks. Some scenarios will have several locations, making the footprint bigger than others, though. And there's really no way to avoid that.
That would be the case for two of the core game scenarios.

It's a very nice game that costs an arm but is worth delving into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baldyr wrote:

Shadowrun Crossfire had totaly slipped under my radar. Looks real interesting, is it any good?

There is a solid tutorial by FFG which gives a pretty good impression of how the game plays:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

The package is pretty small, the replayability extremely high and after your trip you will have a sci-fi story to tell!

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Arkham Horror: The Card Game
Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game (OOP)
Mistfall
Dragonfire (it's a new implementation of Shadowrun: Crossfire)

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. "I pity the fool" T
United States
Jefferson County (close enough)
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for One Deck Dungeon in campaign mode. Small box game, plenty of variety, small amount of table space, and if you get One Deck Dungeon: Forest of Shadows and mix it in, more variety and plays up to 4!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you are probably looking for cardboard versions, but in case you consider other possibilities, here are a couple. In each case you have a character with stats and stuff that persist from encounter to encounter, which could be seen as a campaign of sorts.

Lone Wolf gamebooks are available online free. You would just need a printout of the random number table, a pencil, and a piece of paper to keep track of your stats and stuff. (This would also require something to get you access to the website -- I know a laptop would work, and I suspect a tablet with internet access would work too.) Here's the BGG entry for the series:
https://rpggeek.com/rpg/418/lone-wolf-gamebooks
and the website where the books can be accessed:
https://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home

Java Fabled Lands is another set of gamebooks that are available free. I am less familiar with this set.
BGG entry: https://boardgamegeek.com/rpg/3764/fabled-lands-gamebooks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baldyr wrote:
I will spend March abroad and I need this probably non-existant game that gives me a huge continous Campaign with an exceptionally small footprint. I need it to be small enough to allow me to have it set up in some small shitty table in a hotel room and just allows me to sit down and play for half an hour at any given time. I Think it needs to be some form of card game since I can not Think of any standard board game that can pack a full Campaign into the kind of size both luggage wise and on-table wise that I have to work with. Mage Knight is too big, Mice is too big, Pandemic legacy is too big, ...

So, is there such a game? It can be maybe a Magic booster box in size, perhaps a Little bigger and needs to be pretty darn small when layed out on the table, it needs to be solitare and it needs to be pretty darn cool!

Impossible?
\

If you like Lord of the Rings the Card Game, you could pack your player cards and get OCTGN for a laptop. I use OCTGN to play the shadow deck, while I play the player cards in person. This cuts down greatly on the amount of cards you need to lug around, gives the insane amount of campaigns and quests available through LotR LCG, and works really well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baldyr wrote:

I found Arkham Horror LCG too random when it came to drawing tokens from the bag for your skill checks/etc.

Lord of the Rings LCG seems more measured in this regard, although I suspect the footprint (keeping it in the box) is too big. That being said, I have used the box to store the base game and all 6 cycles of Mirkwood, so you could pack plenty of game into it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not need to carry around all your cards. Two or three M:tG deckboxes full of cards and a bag of tokens or a few dice are plenty to go with.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror LCG is portable (especially if using an app for the setup and chaos bag, eliminating the need to carry the manuals and some of the tokens) but I don't know about small footprint. I had problems playing on a smallish table (approx. 90cm x 70cm) and have since moved to the dining room table.

LotR LCG is even worse in this regard (and there's no "campaign" to speak of, except maybe for the Saga expansions but I haven't played those).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Harry Potter card games are campaign-based, and while in a medium sized box, you could probably de-box them very easily to fit it in a small footprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Henley
United States
Hopkinton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Consider throwing in Fast Forward: Flee as well. It's the only solo-able game using the Fable Game line, which are all campaign-oriented. I suspect it won't sustain a month's worth of play on its own, and I haven't played it, so YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
Mythos Tales
Ambush! (OoP hard to find)
Barbarian Prince (PnP)

Solo campaigns that basically require no table space, minimal luggage space, and can be cleaned up and “saved” at any point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.