Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Eig
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So with the first edition, the iconography on the Ancient Ships, Cruisers, and GCDS themselves give you their stats - hitpoints, dice used, shields, etc.

With second edition, according to the summary, they are replacing them with minis. That kind of kills the ability to print the icons on the ship itself.

So how will that work? Will they have the Ancients and GCDS on a separate printed cardboard insert? A "player" board type sheet where you can upgrade/modify the NPC ships? Something else?

Having an NPC player board might be an interesting way to progress/modify the core game NPC ships, but makes the Ancient Cruisers from the expansion- where each one has unique abilities - much more complicated to implement if they make everything a mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patience young one.... all will be revealed in time.

For my money, yes, I agree. A reference board at least would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
A reference board at least would be nice.
Because the game didn't take up enough space already.

Still, interested to see what they come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Eig
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
Patience young one.... all will be revealed in time.

For my money, yes, I agree. A reference board at least would be nice.

More than nice - a requirement. No way they're having people flip back to the manual to recall what the strength of an NPC ship is. It has to be printed somewhere out in the playing field for people to easily reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
You could put it on the mini's base. Plastic can be molded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe something like Spirit Island minis?

In that, there are three enemy minis.
Explorer: 1 life, 1 damage, just a single upright dude.
Town: 2 life, 2 damage, represented by two upright buildings. When it takes damage, lay it on its side so that only one building is now on the top 'face' of it.
City: 3 life, 3 damage, represented by three upright buildings in a certain method that it can be laid down one way to show 2 buildings, and another way to show 1 building on their faces, to represent their remaining life.

So, they can incorporate the stats into the mini itself. X guns modeled on, X engines, X shields, X computers, all as 3d iconography on the mini.

Maybe?

Or maybe they'll just have a slight ring on the edge of the mini with the stats.
Or maybe the underside will be flat and the stats will be there. Flip them over as a reminder.
Who knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
You could put it on the mini's base. Plastic can be molded.

And painted. If it's just molded then it's impossible to read. That's why I had to use a Sharpie white paint pen on the new Acquire I picked up on clearance.

I'm sure it'll be a separate reference, the same way all our ships now work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think keeping the ancient and Guardian stats separate from the mini's could be really cool. If you want to provide additional variants to the game you can simply print new abilities for NPC units on a new tile/board/whatever to effect the whole game. One of my favorite tiles currently are the alien homeworlds. I think its always fun to figure out the best ship configuration to take down the different NPC cruisers that pop up on them. Fighting different ancients from game to game would make it fun to play around with different ship configurations earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
ZackStack wrote:
I think keeping the ancient and Guardian stats separate from the mini's could be really cool. If you want to provide additional variants to the game you can simply print new abilities for NPC units on a new tile/board/whatever to effect the whole game. One of my favorite tiles currently are the alien homeworlds. I think its always fun to figure out the best ship configuration to take down the different NPC cruisers that pop up on them. Fighting different ancients from game to game would make it fun to play around with different ship configurations earlier.

This, having the ancients in a separate board opens the game to ever evolving ancient power keeping up with the advances on the player ships... that could be cool!

Or at least levels of difficulty like the new GCDS in the expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They could have a base where you could fit a cardboard tile with the info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the good thing about the old system was, that it was easily visible right there on the board.

having to reference a NPC board on the side of the table might be a solution, but is still less convenient than the old system. so imo, even though minis look better, having it all printed and visible on the board is a better system, than a reference sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Williams
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know that spot on the board where you stack all the enemy ships? Well you put one or two ships on there and now everybody knows the stats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.