Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks. My wife and I are looking to buy into Talisman online, but have some questions:

- We will need 2 accounts to play together?

- Can an Android account log into a laptop or desktop?

- What do we need to run Talisman on Linux? Apparently there is a Linux version, but my wife was struggling to install it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope someone can answer your questions soon. I have it on my Ipad and love it and it does allow for multiple real players as well as AIs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crimhead wrote:
Hi folks. My wife and I are looking to buy into Talisman online, but have some questions:

- We will need 2 accounts to play together?

If you want to play online, yes. There is no option to play against yourself (if there were 4 of you online, how would you know which you is you?). If you want to play locally, you don't need two accounts: it has a "hotseat" option, where you pass the device from player to player (or not, in the case of a desktop computer).

crimhead wrote:
- Can an Android account log into a laptop or desktop?

To the best of my knowledge they have no way to link Android, iOS, and PC (Steam) accounts, BUT i recently saw some snippet of text in a Talisman-for-Android update there they mentioned "cross-platform collections" (where "collection" is your collection of IAPs (In-App Purchases: expansions, characters)). i don't know whether "cross-platform" here only includes the mobile platforms or also includes Steam.

crimhead wrote:
- What do we need to run Talisman on Linux? Apparently there is a Linux version, but my wife was struggling to install it.

There is no linux version (if i were aware of the contrary, i'd be playing Talisman right now instead of browsing BGG). The one available on Steam only runs on Windows/McOs:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/247000/Talisman_Digital_Ed...

i have never gotten Steam for Windows running reliably on Linux (using wine). For that matter, i've never gotten anything running reliably on wine (it will work one version, then break the next, then work the next, then break for the next 3... ad nauseam).

Edits: typos, disambiguation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are Android emulators for Windows. I can play Talisman on Win 7 using Andy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.playonlinux.com/en/app-2173-Talisman_Digital_Edi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crimhead wrote:

Play on Linux is based on wine, though. As someone who's used wine off and on since 1996, i can't recommend it as a stable gaming platform (oh, how i wish that were not so!). Many native Windows apps are, simply put, flaky under wine (even if they're listed as "supported" in the wine app database). It may work today and not tomorrow, then work on Wednesdays when the temperature is over 20C, then not work on Thursdays unless the temperature is above 10C, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - my wife confirms she is having trouble installing WINE.

If we need an emulator either way, perhaps we might as well run it on Andy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Clarke
England
Dursley
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a product for windows called BlueStacks which runs Android apps.
I bought Terra Mystica, Mysterium, Tokaido to name a few and they happily run in the BlueStacks environment.

https://www.bluestacks.com/#gref
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crimhead wrote:
Thanks - my wife confirms she is having trouble installing WINE.

If we need an emulator either way, perhaps we might as well run it on Andy?

The "most comfortable" option, i think, would be that you each have a copy running on separate tablets (preferably 10-inch) using your own Google Play logins (or the equivalent on that other OS). Unless i'm sorely mistaken (which i might be), only the host of an online match requires any add-ons used in the game. i.e., (unless i'm mistaken) only one of you would need to purchase any expansions.

i have played Talisman DE on an embedded Android device connected to a television set and an mouse (and it looks great that way), but for a multi-player hotseat game players would need to take turns averting their eyes from the screen so that they don't see each others' cards. You can hypothetically use ChromeCast (or similar) to beam it to the TV screen, but in my experience that's kind of annoying because you need to keep your eyes on the mobile device so that you know where to tap. (That's where a mouse-capable device comes in handy.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add to the multiple tablet possiblility, a few nuggets of info you might find of interest...

1. You can put multiple tablets in "Family Mode" (meaning one identical credit card for the payment option, across multiple Google accounts. This means that ANY app that is Family Mode friendly (this includes pretty much ALL digital board games), then you only have to buy the game ONCE, and all Google/Android accounts will have access to it. Of course, you still need multiple tablets (or phones).

2. Walmart actually has a halfway decent low cost RCA tablet with a 7" screen, which I'm using for Talisman (and it's space cousin, Talisman: Horus Heresy) right now. $50 at last check, and my friend and I both snagged one. Comes with a removable hardware keyboard/lid too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Rankine
msg tools
In response to having the full game on different platforms.

I have Talisman DE with all the expansions on Android, and received a steam key when I purchased the new physical expansions from GW.

I used the key to get talisman through steam on my laptop. In order to activate the expansions you simply need to sign into your asmodee account and all it to share purchases across devices.

I hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone. Thanks for the replies.

I put Talisman on my tablet, but my wife needs a laptop version because a let's give her headaches. So far no luck installing Wine or Andy over Linux. I think we are going to try to reinstalled Windows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Beijer
msg tools
Quote:
only the host of an online match requires any add-ons used in the game. i.e., (unless i'm mistaken) only one of you would need to purchase any expansions.

You can host with no expansions bought, if someone who owns them joins your game they are available for the host to pick and choose from. Which is really nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.