1 , 2  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Tracking Monster Health rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Schoaff
msg tools
mbmbmb
I know this is trivial, but it's a slow day at work ;-)

I got tired of players asking me "How much health does that guy have left? Who has the most/least health?" So, instead of counting damage done to monsters starting at zero I now put out dice* with their full health when they spawn and count down to zero as damage is done.

Was wondering if there were other players in the "count down" camp?

* We use two dice for each monster using the "base 7" method. I.e. Health = black die * 7 + white die. It works all the way up to 48 health and it's good arithmetic practice for my 9 year old who is currently playing a very appropriate scoundrel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Merfeld
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
We just use the HP tracker app that updates to every mobile device and it solves all the problems. It also cuts down on table space, which is a huge concern for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
schoaff wrote:
I know this is trivial, but it's a slow day at work ;-)

I got tired of players asking me "How much health does that guy have left? Who has the most/least health?" So, instead of counting damage done to monsters starting at zero I now put out dice* with their full health when they spawn and count down to zero as damage is done.

Was wondering if there were other players in the "count down" camp?

Many of us. There are Standees the hold the two dice also.

EDIT: https://www.etsy.com/listing/568581026/gloomhaven-standee-he...

They are a life changer. They let the players moderate their own damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vannoy
United States
Shreve
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seen on a Facebook post to use these counters and they will be delivered tomorrow. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076J7LPXM/ref=oh_aui_deta...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
schoaff wrote:
* We use two dice for each monster using the "base 7" method. I.e. Health = black die * 7 + white die. It works all the way up to 48 health and it's good arithmetic practice for my 9 year old who is currently playing a very appropriate scoundrel.

Nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
We do exactly what you do.

I started putting chits and counting down. Then we switched to using aps to manage stuff.

But lately I really like using the cardboard instead of the ap and I just use Dice to count down to zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I weren't using an online app, I'd definitely use dice. I much prefer seeing how much health is left on an enemy over seeing how much damage I've done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
Just remember this. If you are supposed to reduce a monster total health, with your method you should reduce current health.

I have seen in a previous post someone that got confused by this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schoaff
msg tools
mbmbmb
mhl7 wrote:
Just remember this. If you are supposed to reduce a monster total health, with your method you should reduce current health.

I have seen in a previous post someone that got confused by this.

Thank you! We're only about 10 scenarios in and we haven't yet run across an instance of reducing monster total health. You probably saved me a headache there when we run into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We use 3D printed bases for the monsters holding a small dice showing their current health. Dice type depends on max HP. Sometimes D20, other times D4, etc..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We use an online app, it tracks everything for monsters (health/damage/move/attack/any conditions they have), except their current turns ability card. It also tracks elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc M
msg tools
It amazes me that people are still using the chits or dice for this in 2018. There is a wonderfully simple app that does all of this for you. Everyone has a phone/ tablet right?

This makes it extremely easy for everyone to see all monsters, their current HP, normal elite status, status effects etc in real time.

I guess if you're a hippy Apple lover, you're out of luck though as I think the app is Android only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
alcovitch wrote:
It amazes me that people are still using the chits or dice for this in 2018. There is a wonderfully simple app that does all of this for you. Everyone has a phone/ tablet right?

This makes it extremely easy for everyone to see all monsters, their current HP, normal elite status, status effects etc in real time.

I guess if you're a hippy Apple lover, you're out of luck though as I think the app is Android only.

it amazes me that people are still playing board games in 2018. There are wonderful video and computer games....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
alcovitch wrote:

Era has little to do with it. Not everyone likes the use of apps. I'm all for apps, and their integration to games, however, I do like tokens in this case.

I'm in favor of dice as it keeps everyone's eyes on the action rather than their phones/tablets. Besides, you still have to know which number is which monster, right? I'm going to use dice (and the above mentioned bases) so the numbers become irrelevant.

Besides, it's not like using tokens is some huge burden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vannoy
United States
Shreve
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alcovitch wrote:

So what is this app called
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wright
United States
des plaines
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Standees with health tracking have the distinct advantage of having the info directly on the playfield.

Also I designed this
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2802623
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
alcovitch wrote:

Era has little to do with it. Not everyone likes the use of apps. I'm all for apps, and their integration to games, however, I do like tokens in this case.

I'm in favor of dice as it keeps everyone's eyes on the action rather than their phones/tablets. Besides, you still have to know which number is which monster, right? I'm going to use dice (and the above mentioned bases) so the numbers become irrelevant.

Besides, it's not like using tokens is some huge burden.

We put ours up on the TV screen, along with a second tab for the pdf of the rules. That way it's 1 easy display away, instead of everyone on an individual device.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
alcovitch wrote:

We tried apps it was not better.

You still had to set it all up. You have to tell the app where you are how many monsters you have et cetera. Its not faster than sliding a stat card in a sleeve.

When the monster takes damage you have to reach over, find the monster on the app and press a button. Same with dice. You reach over find the monster and massage the dice.

When I was using an app with a Boss for a while I forgot that boss are immune to stuff that was not apparent with the app. We were cheating! So even with the App we needed to dig out the Stat card.

Plus doing it old school has some amount of charm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Olp

Manitowoc
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alcovitch wrote:

I prefer to not look at a screen as much as possible, especially when playing board games. That said I have friends you have used apps for tracking in various different games, and it doesn't bother me if they do. Nothing amazing about it. I'd also always rather read a real physical book than a kindle or online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Manning
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jayvir wrote:
We just use the HP tracker app that updates to every mobile device and it solves all the problems. It also cuts down on table space, which is a huge concern for us.

Which app is that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Laessig
msg tools
For me, this website was a blessing. It auto-populates the first room of each scenario. Tracks health, status effects, and will generate the monster's attack card.
https://www.gloomhavenguild.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got some 3D printed monster standee bases from Etsy that hold 2 10mm dice and 2 condition tokens. Haven't had a chance to play with them yet, but should help with the "how much health do they have?" question. And help us remember conditions too.

I've looked at the various apps, and I haven't used them for 2 reasons

1) We don't have a TV at our usual play location (though next week we will, so I might give one a try then)

2) One of my favorite things about board games is getting away from screens. I work in IT, so I'm on a computer all day. So unless the app is absolutely necessary for the game's mechanics (ie: XCOM, First Martians, Mansions of Madness 2E, etc) or enables a gameplay type not available without the app (ie: Descent 2E & Imperial Assault apps for pure co-op play), I'd rather play without and enjoy my time without screens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alcovitch wrote:

I struggle to believe that my 14" phone screen is anywhere near as easy to see each and every monster's health for 4 people sitting around a table as dice on the monster stat sleeve.

I love when apps integrate into board games and have nothing against them. But in this case, tracking them on a phone means that not all monsters stats are going to be on screen at once and also that you will probably have to pass the phone around if people want to look at it/have one person constantly reading out information from it.

Dice on the stat sleeve are so obvious at a glance, they are definitely better than a phone. Dice on the standees are yet another step up in terms of visibility, but I don't like the look of them, as it would feel slightly less immersive and for the smaller standees the dice are too big.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jjdelanoche wrote:
alcovitch wrote:

I struggle to believe that my 14" phone screen is anywhere near as easy to see each and every monster's health for 4 people sitting around a table as dice on the monster stat sleeve.

I love when apps integrate into board games and have nothing against them. But in this case, tracking them on a phone means that not all monsters stats are going to be on screen at once and also that you will probably have to pass the phone around if people want to look at it/have one person constantly reading out information from it.

Dice on the stat sleeve are so obvious at a glance, they are definitely better than a phone. Dice on the standees are yet another step up in terms of visibility, but I don't like the look of them, as it would feel slightly less immersive and for the smaller standees the dice are too big.

Is there no larger screeen nearby? Either one of the apps with web integration, or even just an android emulator? As mentioned above, we have it up on my tv screen. 55" should be enough for most people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squegeeboo wrote:
Jjdelanoche wrote:
alcovitch wrote:

Is there no larger screeen nearby? Either one of the apps with web integration, or even just an android emulator? As mentioned above, we have it up on my tv screen. 55" should be enough for most people.

My group plays at a brewery, and we don't have access to any of the few TVs there. So it's either use a tablet screen, or the monster sleeves, both would be about the same viewing size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.