Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Woll
United States
Warsaw
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got some ideas floating around and could use some input.

Let's say you, the player, take on the role of an adviser of the Dark Lord. You have just won the epic battle against the forces of good and now you need to efficiently run an empire. You send minions (workers) out each turn.

What are those minions doing?

I think each adviser is a sorcerer of some type (such as a Necromancer that controls zombies). Probably one action will be getting magic to allow other actions?

I have other ideas, but mainly in interested in what expectations the players would have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete McPherson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting premise. Have you read Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy? The first book might lend some inspiration.

I would expect the minions to be doing things like controlling populations, suppressing rebellions, establishing infrastructure, and hunting down potential "heroes."

It sounds like you there would be a bit of an engine-building component as well, with magic being a resource that allows for other actions. What sort of magic are you imagining?

Maybe players would vie to be appointed as "mayors" of various cities. It would be fun if uprisings were possible and players would have to temporarily cooperate to put an end to them (with a potential for earning prestige points of some kind for participating).

So I may have gotten a bit sidetracked from the original question, but you could definitely take this in many different directions. I'm intrigued!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nswoll wrote:
I've got some ideas floating around and could use some input.

Let's say you, the player, take on the role of an adviser of the Dark Lord. You have just won the epic battle against the forces of good and now you need to efficiently run an empire. You send minions (workers) out each turn.

I think each adviser is a sorcerer of some type (such as a Necromancer that controls zombies). Probably one action will be getting magic to allow other actions?

I have other ideas, but mainly in interested in what expectations the players would have?

Don't they go buy food, steal gold, hire monsters and oversee the digging of the tunnel system?

Dungeon Lords
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Woll
United States
Warsaw
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete McPherson wrote:
Interesting premise. Have you read Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy? The first book might lend some inspiration.

Yes, great series.
Pete McPherson wrote:

I would expect the minions to be doing things like controlling populations, suppressing rebellions, establishing infrastructure, and hunting down potential "heroes."

Ok, those are great ideas especially hunting heroes!
Pete McPherson wrote:

It sounds like you there would be a bit of an engine-building component as well, with magic being a resource that allows for other actions. What sort of magic are you imagining?

I'm thinking mana or magic or something to trigger unique abilities to make each player different.

Pete McPherson wrote:

Maybe players would vie to be appointed as "mayors" of various cities. It would be fun if uprisings were possible and players would have to temporarily cooperate to put an end to them (with a potential for earning prestige points of some kind for participating).

Yep. This is my main idea right now - having some area control and cooperating to suppress rebellions.
Pete McPherson wrote:

So I may have gotten a bit sidetracked from the original question, but you could definitely take this in many different directions. I'm intrigued!

Awesome, your thinking kind of paralleled mine. Thanks for some good ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacqlyn Kennelly
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
crossroads demon.
Get someone to sell you their soul. Could be a delay. Pay xx now, receive XXXX in one round.

EDIT- also, maybe searching for lost artifacts of historical and magical significant.
like in Supernatural, things touched by the hand of god.

oohhh. something to do with cursed objects....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Kleinhenz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
You should also check out "After the Last Elf is Dead" by Harry Turtledove. It's a short story that deals with the same kind of ideas you want your game to. You can find it in his short story collection "Counting Up, Counting down."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
While tongue-in-cheek, it might be good to check out the Dark Lord of Derkholm, by Dianna Wynne Jones, since in the book someone has to step up and play the position of Dark Lord for an interdimensional tourist industry... complete with all the trappings of assembling massive armies and other stereotypical tasks.

If I was playing such a game and it wasn't solo, I'd expect my dark empire to be superior to the other empires around me. How it is superior would probably come down to various metrics.

There would be meters for how happy/subdued the citizens are (and possibly a meter to track how likely they are to rebel if their happiness drops below a certain point).

I'd expect a "the stars are aligned" sort of prophecy, which could be good or bad depending on if the stars call for a hero to arise.

A propaganda machine would also be good - to convince the citizens this is for their best interest, or the good of all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taxes, taxes, taxes. The minions are collecting taxes, because all the magic in the world isn't worth much if you can't buy your components and pay your army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bananas!

Along those lines... I could see a forced failure action, cause no matter how much you chastise him, Dave's going to screw something up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Woll
United States
Warsaw
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
While tongue-in-cheek, it might be good to check out the Dark Lord of Derkholm, by Dianna Wynne Jones, since in the book someone has to step up and play the position of Dark Lord for an interdimensional tourist industry... complete with all the trappings of assembling massive armies and other stereotypical tasks.

If I was playing such a game and it wasn't solo, I'm expect my dark empire to be superior to the other empires around me. How it is superior would probably come down to various metrics.

There would be meters for how happy/subdued the citizens are (and possibly a meter to track how likely they are to rebel if their happiness drops below a certain point).

I'd expect a "the stars are aligned" sort of prophecy, which could be good or bad depending on if the stars call for a hero to arise.

A propaganda machine would also be good - to convince the citizens this is for their best interested, or the good of all.

I love Dark Lord of Derkholm . I've even read the sequel Year of the Griffin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rensberger
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nswoll wrote:

Taking slaves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
murjani1 wrote:
Taxes, taxes, taxes. The minions are collecting taxes, because all the magic in the world isn't worth much if you can't buy your components and pay your army.

My thoughts too. To be thematic with your game they could be collecting some resource. Didn't the orcs in LOTR cut down a bunch of trees or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.