Subject: Really the end of the line? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Ball
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know there are rumours that this is the end of the line for EH since all the investigators are done and that is 4 big box and 4 small box expansions...

Personally I wouldn't mind that, but I know there are like a dozen other ancient ones in Arkham Horror.

I've never played that game but do people who have feel the others would work in Eldritch? From what I can see if them I don't see any reason why they couldn't.

So I'm wondering if there may still be a few small box expansions in the future

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Crane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's done when it stops selling, and i'm still buying everything. And forget the small box, I want a big box with an Arkham side board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Ball
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That is a fair point 😂

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To continue with expansions, they will have to change the structure from what has come before. They are out of investigators to toss in. Forsaken Lore does not come with investigators, but it added a lot of extra cards for the base set Ancient Ones. I think they could still do small box expansions, they just need to come with 2 Ancient Ones. I imagine they are working on new investigators, but it will be a while before they are ready to start adding to new expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious if this will eventually get an app treatment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It'd be cool to create new Ancient Ones/Preludes/Adventures that use the existing sideboards. Expansions that rely on other expansions are tough sellers though.

Other World encounters are the ones that seem to repeat the most, so I wouldn't mind some more of those.

They could also create a smaller small box style expansion for $10-15 that add in existing mechanics like, Focus, Resources, Mystic Ruins, Corruption style Conditions/Assets and each could come with the tokens, reference cards, rules, and 30ish encounters for the mechanic added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Devonmouse wrote:
It's done when it stops selling
Arkham Horror is still selling yet it's been a while since we got an expansion for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Crane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but it still sells but it's never the best selling game or expansion of the year type selling. I mean I guess I should of clarified, as long it sells at a decent amount to justify expanding the game and not just to hit reprint button for the game from time to time it will keep getting more. Better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
DorkPassenger wrote:
It'd be cool to create new Ancient Ones/Preludes/Adventures that use the existing sideboards. Expansions that rely on other expansions are tough sellers though.

FF could do this idea as print-on-demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hattori hanzo
Spain
flag msg tools
Devonmouse wrote:
It's done when it stops selling, and i'm still buying everything. And forget the small box, I want a big box with an Arkham side board

yeaaah i'm waiting a big box with arkham sideboard too and see dunwich,innsmoth,arkham and the near towns and cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Shrugs
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I'd like to see a 'Caverns' sideboard featuring K'n-yan, Yoth and N'kai.

The caverns are meant to have entrances everywhere in the world (they might not technically be in our dimension) so they would suit the global nature of EH more than an Arkham board.

The AO for the sideboard would be Tsathoggua and there would be plenty of Formless Spawn monsters slithering about.

As far as small box expansions go, I don't think we'd see two AOs per box--I gather they take the most work to create--but we might get extra cards instead of new investigators. I agree Other World cards are the most needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zenshrugs wrote:
I'd like to see a 'Caverns' sideboard featuring K'n-yan, Yoth and N'kai.

The caverns are meant to have entrances everywhere in the world (they might not technically be in our dimension) so they would suit the global nature of EH more than an Arkham board.

The AO for the sideboard would be Tsathoggua and there would be plenty of Formless Spawn monsters slithering about.

I love these ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure we won't see any new (official!) expansions for Eldritch Horror. It's a fact that expansion sales are always declining over the years, i.e. the first one or two expansions will sell well, but only hardcore fans and completionists will continue buying them.

The majority of buyers will turn to other, new board games instead.

However, I am also quite sure that we'll soon see an announcement for a new board game in the Arkham Files line. Quite possibly a new edition of the Arkham Horror board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
It's a fact that expansion sales are always declining over the years, i.e. the first one or two expansions will sell well, but only hardcore fans and completionists will continue buying them.
I don't have precise sales data but as an approximation I have some BGG ownership data gathered since October 2016. Here's a chart. Overall the growth seems to be slow but steady.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyndam22 wrote:
They are out of investigators to toss in.

They've been making new Investigators all the time, with only the names recycled. Look at your own avatar - that's not the Ashcan Pete art from Arkham Horror or Mansions of Madness 1, all that's left is the concept of a hobo with a dog (the mechanics of what the dog does, for example, vary widely from game to game). Making new art and new mechanics is 90% of making a new Investigator, so there's no barrier to the next Expansion having four or eight more.

Having said all that, I agree with the general idea that EH is winding down, primarily because of the way this Expansion reminds me of Miskatonic Horror, and the sheer age of this game. It's not that the next Expansion wouldn't sell, but putting that work into an Arkham Horror 3 or Eldritch Horror 2 might be even more profitable at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hengst II
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think smaller expansions that include cards for the other sideboards would be a splendid idea! Helping to really add more heft to them and create reasons for folks to go back to them as well. They can certainly keep going, but it certainly feels like they are done for now. Only time will tell...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Luis Rodriguez Mena
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game hasn't R'lyeh encounters yet in the Other Worlds deck, so my guess is that we'll see another expansion...

Rise of the Deep Ones with an Arkham sideboard would be great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bühler
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Yeah, but it has R'lyeh as an actual location that can be visited if playing against Cthulhu. Honestly, R'lyeh never made that much sense as another world, it's right here on Earth. That's like saying the Pyramids are another world, or the Arkham Woods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misha Nosiara
Australia
Como
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to an app in the future...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Wang
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Procurer of rare and exclusive titles.
badge
I'm blue daba dee daba die daba deeeeeee daba die
mbmbmbmbmb
Who needs new investigators?

I'd be happy with a big box expansion with 3 ancient ones and a side board. The extra ancient one is to compensate for no investigators. You don't even have to introduce any more new mechanics. But throw in some more prelude/city/gate/mythos cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I'd be interested in new expansions for Eldritch Horror, whatever may be in it. They probably don't need new investigators, but more of the other stuff is always a good thing, I guess. That especially counts for the Ancient Ones; I also feel I'm missing several of them. Even Elder Sign has a few of them that we don't see here.

I'd also like to see a 3rd Edition of Arkham Horror. I've considered buying the 2nd Edition and its expansions, but I have to admit I'm the type of guy who wants to have everything for it. The problem is that only a few expansions are still available; well, in Europe anyway. Starting from scratch with a 3rd Edition would be welcome to me, because it really becomes the time for me to get, know and play that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.