Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Javier Avilés
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We really had a blast with this game! We are at heart "euro gamers" and for me, the organizer of our gaming nights, worker placement is the mechanic to go. So, simple question for the BGG community. This is our first game by Mathias Cramer. What's the consensus? Is this his best game by Mr. Cramer? Or, what's his best game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also love, love, love me some Cramer. It's hard to choose between his titles, personally, but Helvetia, Kraftwagen, and Dynasties are fantastic. They're definitely my favs. Helvetia and Dynasties have mechanics that are cousins of worker placements, but really, Lancaster sounds like it was perfect for ya fellows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikomakhos
msg tools
Rococo has both a slightly higher average rating and ranking here in BGG, for what it's worth. Glen More I believe is his biggest hit. One that's flown way too low under the radar (because it's not published in the US) is Dynasties, a really nice mix of area control, "I split you choose" and multiple use cards.

I've really enjoyed all the games of his that I've tried. Great designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tylinski
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also played Glen More, which is a terrific game. I had to import the German language version of the game through a Canadian store. Glen More is mostly language independent, but there are also several good player aids which have the English translations for the tile names.

Cramer has mentioned that he is working on a new version of Glen More with specific intentions of releasing in North America. However, no specific time frame right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kendrick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
E pluribus unum
badge
mb
I have not played Helvetia or Glen More (yet), but I love all the other games mentioned, including Lancaster. I think of all of them Dynasties: Heirate & Herrsche is my favorite. After that, for me I'd say Rococo > Lancaster > Kraftwagen in that order. I really like all of them almost equally, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Bugger this. I want a better world.”
badge
"Do not offend the Chair Leg of Truth; it is wise and terrible."
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancaster is my favorite Cramer game but Glen More is very close behind and Rococo is a very solid and enjoyable game too. I also played Helvetia but was disapointed (Mr. Cramer has made my expectations very high =).

I own Kraftwagen but have yet to play it. Dynasty is on the list too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
One thing to note about all these games is that they're not "more of the same". If you know they're by the same designer, you can recognize certain... sensibilities in their design, but it's not like subsequent Uwe Rosenberg, Mac Gerdts or Stefan Feld games.
That means that there's a lot of variance between these games, and not all might appeal equally. For example Helvetia is incredibly harsh, and not at all what it appears to be at first glance.

My personal favorite is Glen More (#6 overall for all games I've played). Lancaster comes right behind (#9 overall), and Rococo trails a ways back (outside my top 20, though it's still an excellent game, which I rate 8.2)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a_traveler wrote:
One thing to note about all these games is that they're not "more of the same". If you know they're by the same designer, you can recognize certain... sensibilities in their design, but it's not like subsequent Uwe Rosenberg, Mac Gerdts or Stefan Feld games.
That means that there's a lot of variance between these games, and not all might appeal equally.

Personally, I feel like Cramer's games all have a high degree of interactivity inside a euro-engine box.

(And Helvetia is brutal and beautiful)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No particular Cramer attachment here, but that doesn't leave me without a story. I was shown Glen More once and didn't enjoy it, although I found the turn order rondel interesting.

Not knowing the connection I spotted the turn order rondel in Kraftwagen and bought it on the basis of a rules reading alone, even without first playing. Satisfying result. Only later learned the relationship with Glen More and was caught off guard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
No particular Cramer attachment here, but that doesn't leave me without a story. I was shown Glen More once and didn't enjoy it, although I found the turn order rondel interesting.

Not knowing the connection I spotted the turn order rondel in Kraftwagen and bought it on the basis of a rules reading alone, even without first playing. Satisfying result. Only later learned the relationship with Glen More and was caught off guard.

I love Kraftwagen, but I'll be the first to admit that the rules are atrocious. You're a better man than I, Gunga Din.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.