Mr. Underhill
msg tools
I'm looking for some recommendations for some games, my criteria:

1. Designed for solo play and I don't mean games with solo variants, I want a true solo game experience.

2. I have a very busy work schedule so I am hoping for a game that is in the 45-60 minute range.

3. I prefer fantasy, medieval, and sci-fi genres (emphasis on fantasy).

4. Although this isn't a must, I'd prefer a game that doesn't need a lot of setting up and breaking down.

Currently, I've been playing a lot of Arkham Horror TCG, Eldritch Horror, First Martians, Zombicide, and Pandemic.

I hope that us enough to go off of. This is my first time creating a forum so go easy on me if I didn't follow correct protocol. If you need any more info just ask. Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1 player guild is a great place to ask about this.

https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/1303
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll first echo what Bernard said about using the one player guild as a great resource. Based on your criteria I would recommend One Deck Dungeon. It can play two players, but you can technically just play both players if you want, though I exclusively play it solo. The footprint is small and a game will run between 20 and 40 minutes. It has a fantasy theme and a campaign mode that rewards repeat plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Arkham Noir series
States of Siege series - one, Legions of Darkness, is fantasy
Mythos Tales
Barbarian Prince

1p, minimal setup, fantasy/horror, playable under an hour or saveable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game scores strongly on all four of your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Mr_Underhill_1368 wrote:
1. Designed for solo play and I don't mean games with solo variants, I want a true solo game experience.
This is a common qualifier, and I understand why, but the emphasis should be on "good" -- not the "variant" label. For example, you're playing Pandemic, which isn't listed as a one player game. I'm not criticizing you -- it's the resulting debates about which games are intended for solitaire that are crazy.

Friday and Onirim have had solid followings among soloists.

I like The Lost Expedition for its story, and I think Ablaze! is under-appreciated. (It has 3+ variants, all solo-able. I like On the Run.) 30 Rails is a good no hassle print-and-play.

Welcome to BGG! See you in the guild!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG. I'll echo previous responders and recommend the 1PG. As for a solo game, check out Nemo's War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Austin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sylvion
Utopia Engine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Pulp Detective. If it seems like one you'd like, it's on kickstarter right now (to be delivered in December).

http://kck.st/2nqak6P

+1 Friday

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing as how your title is Mr Underhill, I think it would be appropriate to mention Lord of the Rings: The Card Game - I'm really enjoying this as a solo experience. I'm using two hands in order to get the most out of the decks, but that's working fine (I think it would be very difficult with only one hand!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Unbroken.

Gritty, dark fantasy, solo player only. You survived an attack from monsters but your partners died. Now you're trying to avenge them in a dungeon crawler-style game.
First you journey, gather resource, craft your weapon, and scout your enemy. Then you fight, you and the monster taking a turn. Roll a dice for the monster to see what it does. If you kill it you eat.
There are 4 levels each game and the game is tough.

Free print and play was (is?) available. Game should hit KS end of March.

Should meet your criterias perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Stipetic
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Friday (solo play only)
+1 The Lost Expedition (great solo play)
+1 LOTR LCG (not necessarily designed for solo play, but good nonetheless). Most LOTR LCG quests can be played under an hour, IMO (albeit, I've only played the first cycle).

I can also pop out a solo game of Agricola in under an hour; though it was not designed for solo play.

7th Continent, which should arrive in the next month or two, has a great save system that allows you go play for however long you wish and, I hear, great for solo play.

Greenland and Neanderthal, though designed for multiplayer play, have decent solo options.

I played a solo game of Pax Porfiriana on TTS last night, which was quite a fun experience. However, it was not designed for solo play (it has a fan made variant).

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.