Thumb up
1 Posts

BattleLore» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Scenario #7: A Complex Web: Charge of the Light Brigade rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
Scenario #7: A Complex Web: Charge of the Light Brigade.

(Score will be giving in italics Standard/Pennant 0/0

We set up the scenario…

We found our forces in Navarre in the Autumn of 1369…

We were led by Edward of Woodstock, the Black Prince. Opposing us was Owain the Red Hand, Prince of Gwynned. His forces were waiting, bolstered by Dwarves and a Giant Spider…

We had Goblins on our right flank and some archers and knights on our left. The battle began…

The Goblins moved their archers up to begin pecking at the Owain’s ranks, but they countered with a great charge pushing back our Goblin allies. But the slippery goblins, despite taking numerous casualties kept formation.

Owain sent his spider charging alone up the middle, and it smashed into one of our Medium Infantry units. Scattered and demoralized, they were easy pickings for the the Dwarven Crossbowmen who were safe on their distant hill. 1/0

I ordered a mounted charge up our left flank, sending two medium cavalry and a heavy cavalry forward. They encountered a group of Owain’s light archers were trampled under hoof. 1/1. Meanwhile I sent the Goblin Raiders forward to harry Owain’s men on our right.

The spider continued its relentless attack and spread it’s poison amongst another medium foot unit.

I ordered with a second mounted charge and our assault continued with the medium and heavy cavalry pushing back Owain’s horses and the Goblin Raider’s taking down some medium footmen 1/2

Owain counter-attacked our charge, but his own Medium Cavalry were routed off the field while our cavalry battled back 1/3.

This was a perfect time for me to counter-attack Owain’s own counter-attack and my cavalry continued their prolonged mounted charge. The Goblin Raiders killed another Medium infantry and our heavy cavalry defeated Owain’s remaining Medium Cavalry. 1/5

Our horses were getting tired, and one of our medium cavalry foundered and fell against the Dwarven footmen 2/5.

But, in a clash of heavy cavalry, our experienced riders were victorious and the last of Owain’s mounted units fell and his forces fled the battle field. 2/6

Three consecutive Mounted Charges was insanely powerful. Nevertheless, the game was fun and enjoyable by both parties. I ignored the Giant Spider and the Dwarves for the most part and focused on the squishy humans. Owain could have played better by using orders to create the ‘support triangle’, as the Mounted Charges lose much of their effectiveness against bold units which do not retreat and battle back. A lesson learned I think.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.