Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Clark
United Kingdom
Bath
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Hello, I was just having a jolly old time with a solo playthrough when a new combination of events cropped up.

So, one of my characters became "Marked For Death" earlier in the game by drawing the curse card of the same name.
The character was now below half their starting HP, so the CULT DICE was in play instead of their character die.
The next CHAPTER CARD was the one where each character is confronted by their own doppelganger which they have to defeat before being able to rest or help any one else.
First round of combat, and my MARKED FOR DEATH character rolls a black cunning.

This is where it started to get a bit unclear as to what I should do.

So, I added the black cunning on the cult die to the chapter dice of that character's doppelganger.
In this situation the cult die doesn't work against the other characters immediately because they are still fighting their own doppelgangers. Is that correct... and while the other characters are fighting their own doppelgangers the MARKED FOR DEATH character just does nothing and receives no damage either. Is that correct?

Of course, once another character has defeated their own doppelganger they can choose to help another character by declaring who they're helping when they roll.
In this weird situation, if there are more than two characters playing, a player would clearly choose to help any character OTHER than the MARKED FOR DEATH character, because the MARKED FOR DEATH character is inactive and safe from damage for the duration of the combat (perhaps they're having a chat with their doppelganger?! ha).

That's how I think the situation would work given all the rules available, but does it really make narrative sense?

I guess the situation arose because I am mixing the CURSE CARDS with CHAPTER CARDS from both this expansion and the base game. There are a few cards that dish out similar situations.

Well, I'm worn out now after trying to explain myself! ha. Anyone else have any ideas as to how to work with this situation in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Pike
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hi Dave,

Thanks for a great question. Here is the solution, and we'll be adding it to our FAQ shortly:

NOTE - This entry concerns how the Curse card 'Marked for Death' interacts with chapter DCSE-CH30, but also applies to chapters DCSE-CH19 and DCSE-CH23.

For shorthand, let’s call the character who has been marked for death ‘the Cultist’. Remember, all players continue to roll simultaneously, but each round you must resolve the roll of the Cultist before that of any other player.

After rolling the black-sided result, the Cultist should immediately add the Cult die (as rolled) to the row of Chapter dice representing their doppelganger - just as they would in combat against a single enemy. The Cultist scores no hits against their doppleganger for this roll, and will not roll again this chapter.

Next, resolve the attacks the other players rolled (in any order the player's choose, as normal) and then resolve damage as normal to end the round (the Cultist takes no damage this round, or for the remainder of the chapter).

However, at the beginning of the next round the Cultist and their doppelganger move to attack the character with the lowest health! Before the round begins (before attacks are rolled) place the Cult die (and any remaining Chapter dice composing the Cultist’s doppelganger) in front of the character with the lowest health. If the chosen character has not yet defeated their own doppelganger, these dice are added to the ones already in front of them - their battle has just intensified significantly!

When checking which character has the lowest health, the Cultist is excluded, and if there is a tie between two other characters then the Cultist must choose.

The rules concerning resting and aiding another player are not affected.

Very nasty!

I hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Clark
United Kingdom
Bath
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the official ruling!

Here's hoping this brutal scenario doesn't come up again soon! haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Corbally
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't call it Marked for Death for nothing... (bad situation there...) hehe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.