Mare Nostrum» Forums » General

Subject: is this edition worth buying ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
frida lavassani
Azerbaijan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been reading sessions for this game and really like to buy it (and its expansion) i just like to ask some of you veteran of this game, would you suggest i buy the 1st edition or the empires edition ?
both seems to give endless hours of fun but the 1st edition seem to be better price as far as the cost concern.
I am not crazy about component and quality of the pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a fan of the original, but Empires is so improved that I will never play the original again. Most of the rules improvements could be ported to the original, but if you don’t own it yet, I would highly recommend just getting Empires instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
The first edition needs quite a lot of tinkering to become playable in addition to remaining quite brittle in the hands of inexperienced players, but the wooden components are better to play with than those horrible minis of the reedition. And although the artwork has its share of problems, it's better in the first edition.

Still my suggestion is to go with the reedition. A lot of thought has gone into it, and for good reasons. I didn't go with the Kickstarter, but I'll probably splurge on a copy (with perhaps the expansion) at my French FLGS when I'm there in the summer later this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree - I much prefer the original in I think all ways. I was disappointed with 2nd edition - I think it's great for people who don't have 1st, and more people being able to play the game is better, but I think 1st edition (with the expansion - very important) is actually just about perfect.

The components (both wood and cards for trade) are so much better than the new edition. I don't believe it needs any tinkering whatsoever as long as you play with 6p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the new edition, but my group finds the old version to still hold up. We've played it a lot, and certainly haven't found it unplayable or brittle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the old game has a fault, it's that it's not forgiving of changing player numbers. That and the expansion is a necessity.

I only play these kind of games at maximum numbers anyway, and rarely have less than 6, so it fits in well.

At 6p 1st Ed is an amazing game, and any other player count we'd play something else. 2nd might have fixed that, but I really don't think it is - it's a factor circular geometry and aggression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
I should add that I think a session of MN with 6 stretches the game far beyond its breaking point (time commitment plus what you get out of that session); and that the expansion turns Mare Nostrum into Mare: The Gathering too much. Consequently I never use it and 'make do' with the base game. Then the re-edition is an interesting alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough, I have a number of games of this approximate type, and always play at 6-8. But we like really long games. We usually find ways to artificially extend games not long enough...

Geography makes MN poor at less than 6 in my view. Atlantis fixes that. Also Vulcan and Baal are requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Holliday
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also do prefer the design and artwork of the old edition. Map, cards, markers and wooden units look better and more "ancient", which adds to atmosphere.
5 player w/o the expansion map is just fine, putting the 13th resource on Crete. Implementing some house rules is necessary though. I also think it's a must to play with the expansion addons (gods, creatures etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.