Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we had a weird case come up, and I think I know the unfortunate answer. On a turn, a person used an attack that left the final monster wounded. Which means on the next turn, with one health left, the monster would have died (barring any heal, which I don't think this monster has). But on this same round, the last remaining character would not have had two cards left to play, and would be exhausted. The rule book says if all enemies are defeated we win, the rule book also says if all characters become exhausted, we lose. Which one is checked first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the FAQ

What happens if we meet the scenario's goals but then the entire party gets exhausted during the round?
You lose the scenario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j ribs
msg tools
mb
Yeah technically you would lose.

Although I would fudge it as a win. It wouldn't be fun to replay a scenario because of a loss like that. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does that character have 2 cards in discard pile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bubblepipemedia wrote:
On a turn, a person used an attack that left the final monster wounded. Which means on the next turn, with one health left, the monster would have died (barring any heal, which I don't think this monster has).

even if they did have a heal, it wouldn't help. The wound does its one damage at the very start of that figure's turn, before they are able to do any abilities.

As for your main question, in order to win a scenario, you have to survive until the end of the round in which you accomplished the scenario goals.

So even if you accomplished the goals, but then died before the end of that round (say, from a wound of your own perhaps), it is a loss.

And regarding exhaustion, if at the start of the round and you don't have at least 2 cards in hand or 2 cards in your discard pile, then you become exhausted at the very start of the round, since you can't declare your actions for that round.

if you have two cards in discard, you can declare a long rest.
if you have two cards in hand, you can take a normal turn.
but if you have neither, then you're exhausted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook V9 wrote:

A character can become exhausted in one of two ways:
• If a character ever drops below one hit point on the hit point tracker, or…
• If, at the beginning of a round, a player cannot play two cards from his or her hand (because they have
one card or no cards in his or her hand) and also cannot rest (because they have one card or no cards
in their discard pile). Exhauston due to insufcient cards does not affect a character’s current hit point
total.

In your case the monster would only die at the start of their turn, which is after your character is exhausted at the start of the round so it's a fail I'm afraid.

Should have used a Minor Power Potion for that one extra damage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very Stout
United States
Back and to the Left-
Up a Bit, Perfect
flag msg tools
An old liberal optimist
badge
An Elf, a Human, and a Dwarf walk into a bar...
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
if you have two cards in discard, you can declare a long rest.
if you have two cards in hand, you can take a normal turn.
but if you have neither, then you're exhausted.

This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
r0t1prata wrote:

They would have 2 in their discard pile, since they took a turn the previous round. The two cards used that around would be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, unless the last turn used one or both cards for their loss abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
bubblepipemedia wrote:
r0t1prata wrote:

They would have 2 in their discard pile, since they took an turn the previous round. The two cards used that around would be there.

The cards they just played might not have gone to the discard pile. They could have gone to the lost pile.

He could have cards in the Active are that are destined for the discard pile that he could choose to put there too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bubblepipemedia wrote:
r0t1prata wrote:

They would have 2 in their discard pile, since they took a turn the previous round. The two cards used that around would be there.

Just realized this means they technically could have long rested as a turn ya? Even if it means exhausting the next turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaqery wrote:
bubblepipemedia wrote:
r0t1prata wrote:

They would have 2 in their discard pile, since they took an turn the previous round. The two cards used that around would be there.

The cards they just played might not have gone to the discard pile. They could have gone to the lost pile.

He could have cards in the Active are that are destined for the discard pile that he could choose to put there too.

Good point! I don't think the cards they played were discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure this is an easy rule to look up, but I'm not near my copy at the moment... do you need 2 cards in your discard to take a long rest? What if you have just one? Wouldn't you just lose the single card and then have a hand of zero cards and then exhaust at the start of the following turn? Functionally have 2 cards left in your discard vs. 1 card left are identical... in neither scenario will you have 2 cards to choose at the start of the following round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bubblepipemedia wrote:

Good point! I don't think the cards they played were discarded.

Were they playing the Scoundrel with the card Open Wound (lvl 2)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
zjhomrighaus wrote:
do you need 2 cards in your discard to take a long rest?

Yes. If you don't have at least 2 cards in your discard, you cannot rest. If you don't have at least 2 cards in your hand, you cannot perform actions. If both of the above, you are exhausted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
zjhomrighaus wrote:
I'm sure this is an easy rule to look up, but I'm not near my copy at the moment... do you need 2 cards in your discard to take a long rest? What if you have just one? Wouldn't you just lose the single card and then have a hand of zero cards and then exhaust at the start of the following turn? Functionally have 2 cards left in your discard vs. 1 card left are identical... in neither scenario will you have 2 cards to choose at the start of the following round.

You have to have at least 2 cards in your discard pile to take a rest. Either long or short.

EDIT - Freaking Darren : --- )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaqery wrote:
EDIT - Freaking Darren : --- )

I'm going to lunch soon. Y'all can answer rules questions while I'm gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked with my friend, apparently 0 cards in discard, I missed that they were both cards that were 'lost' after their action. Oh well! That really stinks lol. It's funny, I'm mad because we were so close and lost because of a two misses, but my friend is mad because it's 'not thematic'. I am considering cheating for the sake of sanity lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bubblepipemedia wrote:
I am considering cheating for the sake of sanity lol.

That argument doesn't hold up in divorce court

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.