Rune Ørum
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmb
This has to be the shadiest and condescending move i have seen in all my experience of poor communication strategies on kickstarter.

What do you guys think of this move? Why not keep communication open to all backers? Why hide behind an email?

Think what you will about the status of the production, but in terms of communication, this a joke.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sodapopminiatures/super...
"Hey everyone!

We'd like to remind you that we are available for questions and customer support at: info@sodapopminiatures.com

-The SPM Team"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure they share news publicly when they have something new to tell us. Currently there really aren't any publicly or privately available about a confirmed production date. Above message suggests that they're not that interested in following and reacting to Kickstarter comments. That's fine with me. There isn't anything majorly important going on at the moment: Talks about delays, refund requests and other rumors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this shady? Or any different than asking questions to millions of other companies? It's not like they are ignoring you. They probably have more resources to manage the slew of questions through their normal customer support line. You're always free to post your question and their response on KSer comment section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as the email address isn't "fuckyou@goaway.com" I, too, fail to see the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
xavierjackson wrote:
This has to be the shadiest and condescending move i have seen in all my experience of poor communication strategies on kickstarter.

What do you guys think of this move? Why not keep communication open to all backers? Why hide behind an email?

Think what you will about the status of the production, but in terms of communication, this a joke.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sodapopminiatures/super...
"Hey everyone!

We'd like to remind you that we are available for questions and customer support at: info@sodapopminiatures.com

-The SPM Team"

Its easier to ignore inconvenient questions if nobody see them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's called efficiency. They obviously have better systems to receive, read, and respond to customer concerns via email. You know, a system that has been in use for decades now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always find it a royal pain to locate any info in the KS comments. Most active projects have comments roll along so quickly.... If I have a quick question that I think the community has an answer for, I'll ask in the comments and most likely have an answer fairly quickly. If I have a question for the company, I will email them. Just makes sense as it would be far more efficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune Ørum
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmb
darthhugo wrote:
It's called efficiency. They obviously have better systems to receive, read, and respond to customer concerns via email. You know, a system that has been in use for decades now.

The number one complaint that backers have is that that email adress only gives copy pasted replies at best. Most of the time there is no answer at all.

Quote:
As long as the email address isn't "fuckyou@goaway.com" I, too, fail to see the problem.

That is my point actually. It might as well be called that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarter's messaging system (and worse yet, the comments section) is super janky. CMON has been directing people to their company email for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Kickstarter comments sections are a terrible way to hold any kind of communication more substantial than "WoooOOOOOooOOOOOooooo we're $2,294 away from stretch goal #45!!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune Ørum
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmb
sirgalin wrote:
Kickstarter's messaging system (and worse yet, the comments section) is super janky. CMON has been directing people to their company email for years.

I completely agree. Which is why Soda Pop should issue actual kickstarter updates answering the questions of their backers. It is really simple. Not hard. CMON does kickstarter communication well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xavierjackson wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

The number one complaint that backers have is that that email adress only gives copy pasted replies at best. Most of the time there is no answer at all.

Quote:

That is my point actually. It might as well be called that.

I have emailed SPM in the past and always received a reply to my question. The automated response just lets you know they have received the email. It can sometimes take a day or two (or longer if they are inundated with emails), but they will get back to you. Patience grasshopper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune Ørum
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmb
Brian T wrote:

I have emailed SPM in the past and always received a reply to my question. The automated response just lets you know they have received the email. It can sometimes take a day or two (or longer if they are inundated with emails), but they will get back to you. Patience grasshopper.

I am aware of the automated reply you get from the system, that is not what I am referring to.

Take a quick scroll through the kickstarter comments you will se that not getting a real answer is a common experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune Ørum
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here is a KS comment that very well states the current state of the project. I agree with this sentiment, which is why I find SP's communication strategy "interesting" at best. But hey, they do seem to have very forgiving backers. That's cool

Brushforhire about 4 hours ago
Honestly, I want this to succeed. I just wish there was more honestly, and openness about what is actually happening. Feels like I have been in the dark for over a year on this. I don't need every dirty detail, but timelines stated come and go, with no real explanation. What I have been able to piece together comes from random comments, and facebook posts. I get that kickstarter is not a "preorder" but it is supposed to be a platform where the creators can be open with the backers. The backers deserve it. I have no problems with delays and issues, but I would like to know about them. At a certain point SPM is doing more damage to their reputation with silence, than they would have just simply stating what went wrong. When detail are left to the backers imaginations, it gets ugly quick. Then again, I backed Midora, and that was a project that the creator started with a fake name, and knew the goal was about 70k to short to make the project happen. At least with SPM I know I will get my product, some day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xavierjackson wrote:
Brian T wrote:

I am aware of the automated reply you get from the system, that is not what I am referring to.

Take a quick scroll through the kickstarter comments you will se that not getting a real answer is a common experience.

I emailed SPM a few months back with a question. I had my answer two or three days later. I have to question how long is too long according to people complaining. Considering all the flak SPM has been taking for some of their poor decisions of late, it does not surprise me if they are trying to wade through a mountain of email, so expect a reply to take a little longer than normal. I have decided to stay away from the comments section of the KS pages of most projects. Way to toxic for my taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune Ørum
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmb
Brian T wrote:
I have decided to stay away from the comments section of the KS pages of most projects. Way to toxic for my taste.

Right, which is exactly why clear communication is so important, so that the backers don't degenerate to guessing and complaining. I actually don't think this KS is that "toxic" even.

Brian T wrote:
I emailed SPM a few months back with a question. I had my answer two or three days later. I have to question how long is too long according to people complaining.

I have yet to receive an answer from a question i asked them in December 2017

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xavierjackson wrote:
sirgalin wrote:

I completely agree. Which is why Soda Pop should issue actual kickstarter updates answering the questions of their backers. It is really simple. Not hard. CMON does kickstarter communication well.

So, now its not about the email address for comms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune Ørum
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmb
darthhugo wrote:
xavierjackson wrote:
sirgalin wrote:

So, now its not about the email address for comms?

Um, yes. They should issue updates instead of asking backers individually to ask questions through email. Customer service regarding individual pledges etc. is handled fine through email, but not kickstarter communication regarding the status of the project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Didn't SP do a mea culpa email not long ago?
I'm not sure what exactly it is that people are after?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xavierjackson wrote:
sirgalin wrote:

I don't want an update every time any one of the backers wants a question answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rvinyard wrote:
xavierjackson wrote:
sirgalin wrote:

I don't want an update every time any one of the backers wants a question answered.

or lodges a complaint for a mis-cut card, bent mini leg, or other low-level issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.