6 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Voluntary Corruption rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus Meier
Austria
flag msg tools
Last time I played Brimstone one of my Players wanted to get corruption Points resulting in lots of Mutations. He argued that his char passes his willpower saves since he didn't want to resist the voices/evil influence/inner daemons, etc..devil shake and therefore doesnt't have to roll.

Is there an official ruling about allowing this? It fells kind of cheating to me, but I would prefer having an official ruling instead of just making a new house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo LeBlanc
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alchemiker wrote:
Last time I played Brimstone one of my Players wanted to get corruption Points resulting in lots of Mutations. He argued that his char passes his willpower saves since he didn't want to resist the voices/evil influence/inner daemons, etc..devil shake and therefore doesnt't have to roll.

Is there an official ruling about allowing this? It fells kind of cheating to me, but I would prefer having an official ruling instead of just making a new house rule.

Imho there is an official rule: The one that tells you to roll a willpower save for a corruption hit. You cannot forfeit this, as it is part of the mechanics. (e.g: Not rolling would heavily influence the use of items like the rusty badge. Imagine you keep a way to intentionally trigger corruption (by not saving) to gain extra shots afterwards)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FloLeBlanc wrote:
Alchemiker wrote:
Last time I played Brimstone one of my Players wanted to get corruption Points resulting in lots of Mutations. He argued that his char passes his willpower saves since he didn't want to resist the voices/evil influence/inner daemons, etc..:devil: :shake: and therefore doesnt't have to roll.

Imho there is an official rule: The one that tells you to roll a willpower save for a corruption hit. You cannot forfeit this, as it is part of the mechanics. (e.g: Not rolling would heavily influence the use of items like the rusty badge. Imagine you keep a way to intentionally trigger corruption (by not saving) to gain extra shots afterwards)

I agree, but a player could use Grit to re-roll his saves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Vening
Australia
flag msg tools
I thought differently, but it appears he can, with the rules as written.

From page 15 of the rulebook.

Quote:
Anytime a Hero takes one or more Hits, they may make a Defense roll against each, needing to roll equal to or higher than their Defense value to prevent the Hit.
{snip}
Willpower works exactly the same way, but is used for incoming Horror Hits and Corruption Hits instead.

I'm assuming he's a US Marshal with No Nonsense? Yeah, I really don't like that ability. A reroll (like the belt buckle) should be sufficient. Or a KO until such time as the duplicate mutation is removed. Or something beyond "This important aspect of the game no longer applies to you".

Though I'd be interpreting "has no effect on you now" to be complete, and not just in the favorable manner. ie, he can't avoid the death, but still get a duplication of the Prehensile Tale. So he can eventually rack up the 36 mutations (though a lot aren't beneficial), but he can't get multiples of the same one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morgan Vening wrote:
I thought differently, but it appears he can, with the rules as written.

From page 15 of the rulebook.

Quote:
Anytime a Hero takes one or more Hits, they may make a Defense roll against each, needing to roll equal to or higher than their Defense value to prevent the Hit.
{snip}
Willpower works exactly the same way, but is used for incoming Horror Hits and Corruption Hits instead.

I'm assuming he's a US Marshal with No Nonsense? Yeah, I really don't like that ability. A reroll (like the belt buckle) should be sufficient. Or a KO until such time as the duplicate mutation is removed. Or something beyond "This important aspect of the game no longer applies to you".

Though I'd be interpreting "has no effect on you now" to be complete, and not just in the favorable manner. ie, he can't avoid the death, but still get a duplication of the Prehensile Tale. So he can eventually rack up the 36 mutations (though a lot aren't beneficial), but he can't get multiples of the same one.

That's how we've always done it. My husband has a level 8 Marshal with that ability. If he rolls a mutation he already has, he doesn't write anything down. And there are absolutely still mutations he doesn't want, as they are detrimental to him, so still sees the Doc for surgery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Meier
Austria
flag msg tools
Thanks for the infos.
I think I'll try to rule it the following way:
I'll make the saves vs corruption hits voluntary, but use the "Unwanted attention - Optional Ruling" from flying frog official faq's.

"When Trouble Comes a Callin’
While a Hero has 1 or more Unwanted Attention markers, any time they roll a 7 on a Location Event Chart or at the end of ANY Location Visit where the Hero won at least $500 from Gambling, they must roll to see if they are attacked!
Roll a D6 for each Unwanted Attention marker you currently have. If ANY of the dice roll a 1, you are attacked from behind by a cowardly but dangerous individual, with murder on the mind!
Roll 2D6 on the following chart, adding +1 to the total if your Luck is 4 or higher, or +2 to the total instead if your Luck is 6 - 2D6 Result
4 or less: You are shot in the back and Killed!
5: Lose 1 Health permanently
6: Lose 1 Sanity permanently
7: Robbed! Lose 2D6 x $100
8-9: You avoid the attack, but are shaken by the experience. Your
Town stay ends immediately.
10+: You slip down a side alley to avoid the would-be assassin! For the rest of this Town Stay, you are an extra -2 to rolls on this chart
(this may stack)."

I hope that that will make it dangerous enough to visit towns between adventures to prevent players from over-abusing this whole mutation-farming. Time will tell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.