5 Posts

This War of Mine: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fate Cards Confusion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Kitchen
Canada
flag msg tools
I have now played through twice, once solo and once with friends. The only mechanic that still eludes me is the die at the bottom of the fate cards. I looked through the threads and never saw an answer for below. When you draw a fate card in the Dawn phase. Example: HEAD SHOT "The target suffers 3 wounds." How do you determine the following:

A. Which character is the target?

B. Are you then after determining the target to roll the die listed on the bottom of the card, if it is a hit that character takes 3 wounds and if the roll result is a miss nothing happens?

C. Does this card and the weapons jam card effect listed below the title of the card only take effect if you draw the fate card while scavenging and ignore that portion of all cards if drawn in the Dawn phase?

Does anyone have a clear understanding of this as any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Bergenstråle
Sweden
Luleå
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This portion of the card is only used when resolving combat and you roll the side with the little thing on it. You do not care about it during the "draw fate card"-phase

Edit: And if you roll the thing, you draw a fate card and check what it says happened in this section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not having the journal in front of md I believe it is under combat.

In combat if you roll a combat die thst comes uo blank but with the little fate symbol on it then you *may* choose to flip a fate card for it. If you do and the die color on the card matches the die color you just tolled then you MUST apply the effect on the card, otherwise you treat it as a normal miss.

Edit:ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kitchen
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What they said. The fate cards have two different purposes:

- You solve everything except the bottom once every dawn phase.

- The bottom of the fate card can be (I think it is not mandatory) when in combat any of the combatants (be it players or the AI) rolls one of those "inverted S" symbols. In that case, you may choose to draw a fate card, and if the die rolled has the same color as the one in the cards, apply the effect, which can be good or bad. Thematically, the roll has a possible narrative outcome instead of being just a miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.