5 Posts

Thunderstone Quest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fighting Guardian using Lantern or similar effects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maciej Dawidowicz
msg tools
Hello,

last game we had disagreement regarding last turn and whether we can go to Village and use Lantern / Boots of Speed to fight Guardian afterwards.
Rulebook states (page 14):
"During this turn, the players may battle the Guardian in The Wilderness, or they may take a normal turn."

This led us to two interpretations:
1. Natural. The Guardian resides in The Wilderness like a normal monster, so you can go to Village, use Lantern / Boots of Speed to go to Dungeon and fight him.
2. Literal. Fighting Guardian is a third choice of destination instead of taking normal turn and going to Village / Dungeon. So you cannot use any ability to fight Guardian after choosing Village/Dungeon.

2nd interpretation seems like a real stretch to me, but I'd like a confirmation on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with #1 myself.
But, hopefully AEG will be around soon to answer.

(Regardless, there's always house ruling. AEG seems to go out of their way in the rulebook to tell us to 'make it your game'.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had just assumed that the Guardian is in the Wilderness, and you can fight him if you'd like. Other than that, play as normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Elathril wrote:
Hello,

last game we had disagreement regarding last turn and whether we can go to Village and use Lantern / Boots of Speed to fight Guardian afterwards.
Rulebook states (page 14):
"During this turn, the players may battle the Guardian in The Wilderness, or they may take a normal turn."

This led us to two interpretations:
1. Natural. The Guardian resides in The Wilderness like a normal monster, so you can go to Village, use Lantern / Boots of Speed to go to Dungeon and fight him.
2. Literal. Fighting Guardian is a third choice of destination instead of taking normal turn and going to Village / Dungeon. So you cannot use any ability to fight Guardian after choosing Village/Dungeon.

2nd interpretation seems like a real stretch to me, but I'd like a confirmation on this.

Number 1. The cards are not trying to fool you 😉

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually see it like this:
In the final turn you have 3 options:

1: Fight the guardian (directly put your champion to the wilderness and start the fight without having to move to the wilderness and eventually paying light and resolving alert abilities)
2: Do a normal village turn (and eventually use a lantern or similar card to do a dungeon phase afterwards and fight the guardian - or even another monster when you got a card allowing you to leave the wilderness)
3: Do a normal dungeon turn (moving around and fighting the guardian or any other monster like normal)

And when you got the Stormland Mirror, you could even do a complete extra turn and eventually fight the guardian once more.

The slight difference to your interpretation is that you do not need to move though the dungeon rooms to fight the guardian when you ended your previous turn somewhere deep down in the dungeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.