Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Music/Sound Companion App rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernhard Scheuringer
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've come up with an idea for a music/sound companion app for Arkham Horror LCG. As i can't implement the idea myself i want to share it with you. Maybe someone, or Fantasy Flight Games can pick it up. Would be cool! cool

General Idea:
On startup of the app you first choose a campaign and then a scenario which you are going play. Then a scenario specific music starts to play. Whenever the Act or Agenda Deck advances, you also press an according button in the app. The music/sound then changes accordingly to the storyline of the scenario. So the number of the current Act or Agenda is also displayed in the app.

Possible Features:
- Most important Feature: The audio should be ambience sounds that emphasize the environment (think of a town setting, forest at night etc.)
- It would also be nice when some music is mixed in (like 1920s music), but not too much (even better if this could be configured in the app)
- If the Act/Scenario text does not alter too much of the setting, at least the music/sound could add more and more disturbing elements to add to the tension until the end of the scenario
- It would be nice, if the first 30 seconds feature a specific soundtrack, which is played once and should describe the happenings while reading the back of the old and the front of the new Act/Agenda. So you press the button on the app first and then read. (Examples: Appearance sounds of giant monster, ringing of church bells, chants of the cultists). After that the music/sound for this Act/Agenda plays.
- A given piece of sound loop for a certain combination of Act/Agenda card should at least have a length of 10 minutes, so that it is not going to be too repetitive. Of course not every legal combination of Act/Agenda card in a scenario needs a different sound loop. Depending on the story only some changes can be sufficient. (Example: It starts out with some music, but suddenly the Act Card brings a monster into play so the music starts to be more stressful and with horror sounds accordingly)

All in all i think this approach can be integrated into gameplay easily, as one has to only press a button each time the Act or Agenda advances.
I also thought about other game elements which interact with the app, but it would start to be fiddly if one has to interact more with the app, and the payoff for this effort isn't there i think
(Example: Press a button if a certain monster appears. (Would also give away potential spoilers)).

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Hobbes
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

That could make sense if the location / situation changes often completely within a scenario but that is not the case.

Imo much simpler to look for a fitting soundtrack and play that.
If its in a town or I want something more relaxing I take old jazz tunes and if more creepy is required there are a lot of excellent lovecraft ambient sounds on youtube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
One who fully grasps Bayes' Theorem, yet remains in our universe to aid others, is known as a Bayesattva.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spotify has a half-dozen great playlists, so, in a sense, there's already an app to cover music.

Sound effects are another thing. If I had an app that made environmentally appropriate sounds based on the location of my investigators per scenario, that would be very cool. So, if I'm in a swamp or bayou, the sounds of water gurgling, frogs, and birds; city effects when I'm in Arkham, which would be different than the ambient sounds of Paris or Venice; jungle sounds, etc. etc. That would be an app I'd purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bragaglia
msg tools
Another cool feature would be pointing at a card (i.e. agenda or act) and the neural network in the app recognises it and advances things on screen accordingly, makes the music escalate, etc.

Same things for monsters or other specific cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.