Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Samurai Spirit» Forums » General

Subject: Thematic explanation suggestion for the left side of the samurai cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Not that it's really matters, but just for fun I will post thematic explanation suggestion for the left side of the samurai cards.
Quote:
Some of the villagers decided to help you in the battle, so each one of you get 3 sidekicks.

In the heat of the battle there are a lot of attacks on the families/houses. Instead of fighting you able to let one of your sidekick to handle some of the enemies. Meanwhile you can rest, save house or save family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R
msg tools
The way i've always imagined it worked is that there are bandits swarming in. Like the movie you can 'confront' them and these are the samurai you are currently engaged with circling each other.

Occasionally a bandit will run through and try to kill a peasant, attack a family or burn a farmstead, as these bandits are not focused on you you kill them instantly, 'defending' the peasant, family or farmstead.

Other times you will use your unique talents to 'support' another samurai however doing so will distract you from your post and may let a bandit slip past.

I find these thematic justifications consistent with the combat as seen in the movie the seven samurai. I guess most people have trouble justifying the defend action but i always figured that those enemies were trying to engage with someone else so were cut down easy all while the 'confronted' enemies are still circling, waiting for their opportunity to strike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Pete R's interpretation. The bandits on the right side of your samurai are just being held off, and you kill one if you hit your Kiai. The left side, however, are ones that you actually kill, as they slipped through the front line. If they are not killed, then they manage to wound you, burn a farmstead, or kill a family before they are dispatched.

While thematically they are killed, mechanically the cards all go back in the deck. It might be interesting to play the game with removing "killed" bandits from the deck, basically whittling down their forces over the three rounds, just to see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.