6 Posts

Dinosaur Island» Forums » General

Subject: Adults hating on kids games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: ratings_episode_999,999 [+] [View All]
Jordan Francoeur
Canada
flag msg tools
I love the theme of the game, biggest selling point for me. But as I played the game I began to see that it's depth was more designed for the ease of play for kids, which is fine, especially when that is the demographic for the complexity of rules, a game designed for a more mature audience would add more depth. My nephew loved this, LOVED it, me I liked it and wanted more. I see that in some of the reviews, adults giving biased ratings for a game not designed for them. I'm not saying adults wont like it, but this brought out the child like fun of a game rather than a depth of strategy in competing with one another. After a while I realized I didn't want to win at this game, which is rare, I wanted to have fun making a dinosaur park. I think some people assume the games are made for them, and base their ratings on that. Just my thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
JFrancoeur wrote:
I love the theme of the game, biggest selling point for me. But as I played the game I began to see that it's depth was more designed for the ease of play for kids, which is fine, especially when that is the demographic for the complexity of rules, a game designed for a more mature audience would add more depth. My nephew loved this, LOVED it, me I liked it and wanted more. I see that in some of the reviews, adults giving biased ratings for a game not designed for them. I'm not saying adults wont like it, but this brought out the child like fun of a game rather than a depth of strategy in competing with one another. After a while I realized I didn't want to win at this game, which is rare, I wanted to have fun making a dinosaur park. I think some people assume the games are made for them, and base their ratings on that. Just my thoughts.

I dunno.. after my plays I think there is plenty of depth in the game. Far more than many people consider adult games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JFrancoeur wrote:
I think some people assume the games are made for them, and base their ratings on that. Just my thoughts.

All people really know is how much they themselves enjoy the game, so it makes sense that they would rate games on that basis. Expecting them to rate it based on how much others might like it for particular agendas which aren't their own makes no sense.

Try not to worry about general ratings so much; they're useless without comments and even accompanying comments are open to interpretation if they're from users unknown to you. Build a Geekbuddy list if you want ratings you can rely upon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
West Lafayette
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh? I only game with adults and we've found plenty of complexity and strategy in this game. Sure, there could be more, but if anything it's on the heavier end for me. I think that a child could certainly understand the game, but after a few plays, I'm still trying to strategize better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R F
msg tools
There's nothing in the way this game is advertised whatsoever to suggest it's a kids game. In fact, it's advertised as ages 10+, which doesn't say kids.

It's promoted as "an accessible worker placement game" with "simple mechanics that lead to incredibly tense decisions" and "constant pressure to keep your guests safe" and "a nail biter". None of these scream 'not designed for adults' to me. You can hardly blame people for drawing the wrong assumption based on reading the games own promotion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I do think it is a fairly light game and lacking in (enough?) divergent strategies, I wouldn’t consider it a game for kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.