Subject: Tips for PnP test version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leon Kerkhoff
Colombia
flag msg tools
mb
Hi there,

I have a card game in the works and there´s a couple of things that I would like some advice on.
I´ve just started using nanDECK (thanks Andrea, it looks very promising).

The game consists of 18 jumbo-sized cards, 36 poker-sized cards, and 64 mini-sized cards.

About colours and ink-usage.
I would like to try and cater to the wants and needs of people who are willing to print and play this.

So right now I have card fronts with numbers in the top left and bottom right, a name, and an image. The images are placeholder art (not mine) in colour, taking up about 1/8 of the card. Is that ok? Should I edit the images (to shades of grey for instance)? Or should I remove them altogether?

The backs also have an image and nothing more. Should I remove those? The cards are already differantiated by their size so they don´t need the image for recognition. The point of the imagery is to add some theme for the look and feel of the game, which I also want to test.

If I choose to leave the backsides blank I fear that the cards will be easily marked by stains. Should I make them grey instead?

About double sided printing.
NanDECK has a function for this and I found a tutorial on how to do it. The measurements given in the tutorial are standard European A4 pages, which you can alter to suit your needs. Here in Colombia they have standard American paper, so for my own version I will change the pagesize. But what do I do for potential playtesters from around the world? Do I have to make 2 versions?

Lastly, I think I will print the game rules and player sheets as cards as well. There are not that many rules and since I´m already going to use jumbo cards I thought that may be appropriate. Good idea or bad?

As always, any other tips & tricks are also very welcome!
Tia,
Leon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leon Feargus wrote:
Is that ok? Should I edit the images (to shades of grey for instance)? Or should I remove them altogether?

The backs also have an image and nothing more. Should I remove those? The cards are already differantiated by their size so they don´t need the image for recognition. The point of the imagery is to add some theme for the look and feel of the game, which I also want to test.

If I choose to leave the backsides blank I fear that the cards will be easily marked by stains. Should I make them grey instead?

Do I have to make 2 versions?

Lastly, I think I will print the game rules and player sheets as cards as well.

A person who wants to print your game can easily print in greyscale, its just a quick print option. Replacing the image with a basic icon or something might be more printer friendly. The same concern also leads me to advise you to get rid of background colors as even if I click greyscale it will still be putting down ink to get some background.
Thats all for making it as light on ink, so if someone wants full color and ink then yeah sure have a background color.

Whoever is printing this can decide if they want to print backs too, no reason for you to worry when its easy for someone else to decide for themselves.

The more you give us, as far as different file types, the more likely more people will print your game. That goes for color and detail level and paper size. Depending on your programming I think you just need to factor in some healthy margins and it should work on whatever side paper if they print at full size.

lastly, I don't see a problem with printing the rules on cards. Just as long as its still easy to read. Also if you need a few cards for the rules make sure I can understand the flow, so I don't read card/page 1 and 2 then skip to 5 accidentally or make it so it doesn't matter.

Having three different sizes of cards in your game might hinder some from making it, but if thats the way your game is I don't think there is too much to do about that. Try to fit them to a card sleeve size though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greyscale just shifts ink-use from colors to black, so that one cartridge runs out faster.

What really matters for low-ink is to have as large areas as possible white, so use thinner lines, change fill-colors to white/none rather than using some colors. Thin colored outlines only.

I would never print backsides, just put the cards in colored sleeves with some old cards as backing. Standard card size is good if at all possible. Guess some would like sheets of card backs to print, so the option might be a plus. It is easy to not print some pages. A

Layout the cards to fit both on A4 and letter if you want playtesters on both sides of the Atlantic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.