Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Kanabrocki
United States
West Richland
WA
flag msg tools
mb
If a player plays a card that has lets say a move 3 flying, the player can move 3 hexes using the flying rules and ignores obstacles and traps. when does that flying ability end? If the last movement ends on a trap hex does the character lose flying at the end of the turn and fall onto/trip the trap?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Camacho
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would look at page 17 in rulebook to see if that helps, but my understanding, based on that, is it depends if the card is a Persistent bonus or Round bonus.

If Round bonus, it will last until the characters/enemies end of turn so so that would end where the figure lands.

Regarding obstacles, the figure can't end it's turn on an obstacle, just uses fly to enter and leave the are as part of it's movement.

I'm incorrect in that last bullet, disregard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kornetmuse kornetmuse
France
flag msg tools
Ozzlok wrote:
If a player plays a card that has lets say a move 3 flying, the player can move 3 hexes using the flying rules and ignores obstacles and traps. when does that flying ability end? If the last movement ends on a trap hex does the character lose flying at the end of the turn and fall onto/trip the trap?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that you lose flying when you discard the card the fly was onto. The card not being in your active area no more effects are on.

So if you have

move 2 Fly
Attack
move 2

You can stay on a trap or obstacle at the end of your first move. Attack and then leave the trap/obstacle with the last move.

But the second move makes you land on the ground at the first hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
These cards are all written "Move 3 Jump", meaning that you will land on the ground on the last hex of your movement. All the ways to gain Flying that I know of are persistent effects which last the whole turn or longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kornetmuse kornetmuse
France
flag msg tools
macamac wrote:

Regarding obstacles, the figure can't end it's turn on an obstacle, just uses fly to enter and leave the are as part of it's movement.

That's not true. A flying figure can finish onto an obstacle.
But if it loses his flying trait while on a obstacle, the figures takes the same amount of dammage than from a trap and move to the nearest empty hex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ozzlok wrote:

Thanks

I'm wondering if you're confusing some of the symbols on the cards.
AFAIK, "Flying" isn't generally gained via ability cards

Some people confuse the basic "move" icon for flying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
Yeah, I have never seen an ability card which gives fly. I am still missing 4 classes, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Camacho
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kornetmuse wrote:
macamac wrote:

That's not true. A flying figure can finish onto an obstacle.
But if it loses his flying trait while on a obstacle, the figures takes the same amount of dammage than from a trap and move to the nearest empty hex

This doesn't make sense, how can you land on an obstacle if you're not supposed to move through them with normal movement? Landing then moving from the obstacle would seem to be a normal movement, which isn't allowed.

Disregard, you're correct. Pg 19

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ames
United States
New Glarus
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mhl7 wrote:
Yeah, I have never seen an ability card which gives fly. I am still missing 4 classes, though.

There is at least one, but I haven't seen a good time to use it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kornetmuse kornetmuse
France
flag msg tools
macamac wrote:

This doesn't make sense, how can you land on an obstacle if you're not supposed to move through them with normal movement? Landing then moving from the obstacle would seem to be a normal movement, which isn't allowed.

Disregard, you're correct. Pg 19

Yes, therefore this is the only difference between fly and jump. you're still hovering the last hex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DallasD wrote:
mhl7 wrote:

There is at least one, but I haven't seen a good time to use it yet.

which one is that (and which class)? if you answer, it should probably go under the spoiler tag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
msg tools
If there really is such a card, it sounds like a misprint to me.

If you are flying, but it ends on your turn, that is functionally identical to a jump.

I would email Isaac and ask him if it was supposed to be a jump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tarkin1 wrote:
If there really is such a card, it sounds like a misprint to me.

If you are flying, but it ends on your turn, that is functionally identical to a jump.

I would email Isaac and ask him if it was supposed to be a jump.

depends on the card. There are certain situations where there would be slightly different mechanics between the two.

I'd have to see the card(s) in question before calling it a misprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hypothetically (not having seen the card in question) you could have something similar to the Mindthief's "Augments" that sits in play indefinitely and gives you Flying (probably as a Loss card, though I could just about see it as just granting you Flying with no other benefits as a Discard action)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
Hypothetically (not having seen the card in question) you could have something similar to the Mindthief's "Augments" that sits in play indefinitely and gives you Flying (probably as a Loss card, though I could just about see it as just granting you Flying with no other benefits as a Discard action)

But that's mechanically easy, since it would have to be dismissed for a character to lose fly during the turn, so the regular rules would apply.

I also doubt there's a single turn fly card, tbh. That would be functionally no different than jump, except that a player might take damage at the end of their turn. I don't see Isaac using a card design like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Keller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
The flying card is from
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Plaguebearer, and it's a lost card that generates a persistent effect, so I don't think this question would apply there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauro
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
I also doubt there's a single turn fly card, tbh. That would be functionally no different than jump, except that a player might take damage at the end of their turn. I don't see Isaac using a card design like that.
There would actually be a few meaningful functional differences I can think of off the top of my head:

1. If you end on a trap, the effects don't apply until end of turn (or until you choose to dismiss the card), possibly allowing you to do things like making an attack while standing on a Stun trap.
2. You could use flying to end on an obstacle and then, when the flying is dismissed, take trap damage and move to the nearest empty hex. This would often let you get an extra hex of movement if you need it and, depending on the exact situation, could theoretically get you a lot more.
3. More reasonably, if you have multiple Move abilities, flying for a turn could let you, say, end your first Move on a trap or obstacle and then move off with your second Move.
4. Finally, the last hex of jump is still considered normal movement and thus is affected by difficult terrain whereas flying would still ignore difficult terrain for that last hex.

That said, these differences are all very specific edge cases and I can't imagine Isaac using a card design like that just for these differences, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
given that we haven't heard anything back from the OP, I'm guessing they misread the card. (which happens sometimes, the wing on the boot of the move icon can be confusing)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.