Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
I know that the push these days is to have "unique" game components, but when it comes to metal coins I just want something that has a nice weight to it and attractive, theme appropriate design. The problem is that most metal coins designed specifically for gaming are relatively expensive....case in point Rising Sun's KS campaign's 65 metal cons for $20.

Got me wondering....did CMON consider using current Japanese Yen coins?

What with the current exchange rate, $3.05 will get you 65 5 yen coins
Design is gorgeous, top quality, theme appropriate, great size, 15% the cost of the coins offered on the KS campaign.
I'd have picked some up by now but am having a hard time finding where I can exchange $ for 5 yen coins at the current rate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I do not believe that it would be legal to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Renaud Verlaque wrote:

Is that so? Seems odd, but I would not put it past current laws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
Renaud Verlaque wrote:

Current laws? I'm trying to imagine *any* time when repackaging and selling currency would have been legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
cferejohn wrote:
Lowden025 wrote:
Renaud Verlaque wrote:

Current laws? I'm trying to imagine *any* time when repackaging and selling currency would have been legal.

Really?
Not something I have ever given any thought to.
Why would repackaging and selling currency be a legal issue? Isn't that basically what currency exchange businesses do?

(When I run a GOOGLE search for "Buying foreign currency" a LOT of companies turn up!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree, and I am happy with what CMON went with.

While I know this isn't a historically accurate game, yen shouldn't even be considered for the game since it wasn't created until Meiji (circa 1868) era. Even if they called it ryo, I don't even think that was standard at the time period the game takes place in.

I mean, why not just use pennies if cheap components are all you really care about? The only coins I would have considered subbing with are the ones offered by Fantasy Coin LLC. (pic below).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Smith
Switzerland
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Lowden025 wrote:
Renaud Verlaque wrote:

Coin collecting is a hobby, and there are places that people trade coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
ChromiumAgeCollector wrote:
I disagree, and I am happy with what CMON went with.

While I know this isn't a historically accurate game, yen shouldn't even be considered for the game since it wasn't created until Meiji (circa 1868) era. Even if they called it ryo, I don't even think that was standard at the time period the game takes place in.

I mean, why not just use pennies if cheap components are all you really care about? The only coins I would have considered subbing with are the ones offered by Fantasy Coin LLC. (pic below).

As I mentioned in my first post, the design.
A US penny would not fit the bill.
I can't tell the difference between a current 5 yen Japanese coin and the one offered by CMON, but both look appropriate to Japan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The coins they used were based on a real Japanese coin appropriate to the time period. As mentioned above, the Yen is too modern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Renaud Verlaque wrote:

cferejohn wrote:

Why would it be illegal?
And how do coin collectors buy and sell coins if it's not legal?
There are zillions of advertisements in various magazines and websites buying and selling money.

FWIW the Polish game Mozaika included 50 or so real Polish coins (of the lowest denomination, 1 grosz) as its money. I never heard of there being legal trouble as a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
ras2124 wrote:
The coins they used were based on a real Japanese coin appropriate to the time period. As mentioned above, the Yen is too modern.

Not living in Japan, I can't tell the difference between a modern 5 ¥ coin and one from several hundred years ago. I suspect the same goes for most of the people who are playing Rising Sun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Smith
Switzerland
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Renaud Verlaque wrote:

cferejohn wrote:

Why would it be illegal?
And how do coin collectors buy and sell coins if it's not legal?
There are zillions of advertisements in various magazines and websites buying and selling money.

FWIW the Polish game Mozaika included 50 real Polish coins (of the lowest denomination, 1 grosz) as its money. I never heard of there being legal trouble as a result.

I know I just said the same thing, but after thinking about it I think lower denominations no one is going to put in the effort. Higher denominations people/governments start caring. I think in the US (or Ive heard) that it's illegal to have more than 10k on one person. I think this is because its harder for the IRS to track what money you have, and you might be involved in drug trafficking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
ras2124 wrote:

Not living in Japan, I can't tell the difference between a modern 5 ¥ coin and one from several hundred years ago. I suspect the same goes for most of the people who are playing Rising Sun.
Okay? You said Yen was theme appropriate, and while many things in this game are not super accurate, a modern Yen coin would not be, whether you know the difference or not. You are free to acquire and use such coins though as many have done, but if your question is why CMON didn't do that for everyone, that is your answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Aside from potential legal issues with Japan ( don't know if they would care or if illegal to market use coinage from there ), it would've been a cheap move from CMON to do such a thing. What you're suggesting is an alternative for people who own the game, just like house rules and using proxy miniatures - which would be fine, nobody cares. Why not have cardboard standees instead of miniatures? CMON is marketing premium gaming experiences ( up to the player to determine if the gameplay is premium or not, but the quality of the components are ). The components are meant to be interesting/artistic/unique, making them enhance the gaming experience and be collectible ( perhaps ) and the like. Why not go all the way and just purchase rules and create your own components to play it ( some actually do this )? Most don't do this because most gamers want cool stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SwissQueso wrote:
I think in the US (or Ive heard) that it's illegal to have more than 10k on one person. I think this is because its harder for the IRS to track what money you have, and you might be involved in drug trafficking.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm pretty sure this isn't true. What you maybe thinking of is that cash or checks deposited in banks over 10K are flagged by our intelligence services for investigate illegal activity.

I hesitated to reply with this because I'm sure someone with more legal knowledge will correct me...

Back on topic,

I mean, do you, boo. Use Colombian pesos if you want. I think the coins look good, feel good, and were a good value. Since I know a tiny bit about Japanese history, the anachronism would bother me too much to use modern coins. And I do mean a tiny bit, that isn't me trying to be braggadocios.

To be fair, I do concede that most (51% or more) will not know the difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Hayes
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Superbowl Champions!
badge
Can't stop buying games...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want dirty coins, touched by millions of people.

I like my factory-made, overpriced coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...maybe 52%✓😁
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rensberger
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SwissQueso wrote:
I think in the US (or Ive heard) that it's illegal to have more than 10k on one person. I think this is because its harder for the IRS to track what money you have, and you might be involved in drug trafficking.

No. The law is just that cash transactions over US$10,000, taking place inside US territory, must be reported (IRS Form 8300). There is nothing inherently illegal in making such transactions, or about simply possessing any amount of currency.

What you maybe thinking of is that cash or checks deposited in banks over 10K are flagged by our intelligence services for investigate illegal activity.

There's a separate Suspicious Activity Report that financial institutions file under a more complicated set of rules designed to flag money-laundering and other criminal enterprises. These can apply to transactions under $10K as well, and not to ordinary and legal ones above that amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Smith
Switzerland
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I hesitated to reply with this because I'm sure someone with more legal knowledge will correct me...

No worries, I don't mind sounding dumb in my posts, and hopefully I will learn something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Smith
Switzerland
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsteedhayes wrote:
I don't want dirty coins, touched by millions of people.

I like my factory-made, overpriced coins.

I'll admit that I only bought mine not knowing there was a cheaper alternative. With that said, Ive wanted the metal coins for Scythe since Ive seen them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
gelaar wrote:
Aside from potential legal issues with Japan ( don't know if they would care or if illegal to market use coinage from there ), it would've been a cheap move from CMON to do such a thing.

Not if they were up front with their customers.

gelaar wrote:
What you're suggesting is an alternative for people who own the game, just like house rules and using proxy miniatures - which would be fine, nobody cares. Why not have cardboard standees instead of miniatures? CMON is marketing premium gaming experiences ( up to the player to determine if the gameplay is premium or not, but the quality of the components are ). The components are meant to be interesting/artistic/unique, making them enhance the gaming experience and be collectible ( perhaps ) and the like.

I agree. It basically comes down to marketing. A good example is the reply above by ras2124;

ras2124 wrote:
Okay? You said Yen was theme appropriate, and while many things in this game are not super accurate, a modern Yen coin would not be, whether you know the difference or not. ..

Nice example of the effect of marketing
If a person can't tell the thematic difference between a modern ¥ coin and a coin sold with the game, then why does it matter to them which one they use...other than what they were enticed to desire based on the manufacturers marketing.

gelaar wrote:
Why not go all the way and just purchase rules and create your own components to play it ( some actually do this )?

"Straw man" argument?

gelaar wrote:
Most don't do this because most gamers want cool stuff!

Gamers debate "what is cool" all the time, how they want to spend their money, how to "upgrade" their games.

I think modern 5¥ coins would have gone great with the game. I actually prefer the design and given that they are official currency, suspect that they are very high quality coins.
Others disagree.
It's all "cool."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

A buddy of mine frequently visits Japan. He got us both a set of Yen coins for our Rising Sun copies. Cleaned in an ultrasonic and brightened with lemon juice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
Okay? You said Yen was theme appropriate, and while many things in this game are not super accurate, a modern Yen coin would not be, whether you know the difference or not. ..

Nice example of the effect of marketing
If a person can't tell the thematic difference between a modern ¥ coin and a coin sold with the game, then why does it matter to them which one they use...other than what they were enticed to desire based on the manufacturers marketing.
Because A PERSON is not ALL PEOPLE. You do know that other people bought this game besides you right? Based on how you are responding, it is really not clear that you do.

Lots of people bought their own alternatives, but CMON went with a metal copy of the same coin that was in the game instead of an incredibly anachronistic modern coin.

I mean you probably don't know where Kyoto is on the map either, but just look through the forums at the flak they took on that issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Malo
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream I dream alone is reality.
badge
When I cease to dream, you cease to exist.
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the plastic coins the game came with. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:

Yeah, right, as if plastic coins are appropriate to the time period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.