Hide
3 Posts

HEXplore It: The Valley of the Dead King» Forums » Rules

Subject: "Brainwashed" in low player-count games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Real Qwade
msg tools
Just had this happen and found nothing in the rulebook to clarify how to proceed. I was playing solo (controlling 2 characters), faced some Will-O-Wisps and found myself with a brainwashed hero. No problem there (well, actually huge problem, but no problem interpreting rules). Next round, the Will-O-Wisps brainwashed my other hero. Per the rulebook for the "brainwashed" condition:

"Brainwashed heroes may not act normally. They treat their opponent as their only ally and the heroes as opponents. If the hero is attacking, roll target dice to see which group members they target. If the hero is using an ability or item that can damage themselves or an ally, they instead target the opponent (to heal, boost, etc.). "

Based on that, the two heroes should just be targeting one another until one of them dies. But, then what? The other one is still brainwashed (and as such, can't target the opponent). If you're playing solo and get brainwashed, do you just lose? The "petrified" condition also results in a similar question when playing solo, do you just roll Survival and instantly lose on a fail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Mariucci

Wisconsin
msg tools
designer
mbmb
The way it is currently written yes.

These types of scenarios can be very brutal on your heroes. There are ways around them in the game, but they can be difficult to locate. Dryad's Amulets are perfect for this situation, as is the ability to re-roll dice during combat.

We are looking at the possibility of adding something to the errata for single player games to tackle the rare situations like these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got into the same situation right now. Solo with 2 characters and both brainwashed against Will O’Wisps with Dangerous (due to Quest). So it’s a loss.

I’m not sure about 2 things:

1. What has this to do with playing solo? I thought it’s a matter of how many characters are in the game and not related to players. So if I was playing 2 players each controlling 1 character it was the same. Now it’s easier with more characters in this situation. That is clear.

2. I’m undersanding from the contex that conditions last the entire battle and not per round? What if you character get’s the same condition again? I’m assuming it does nothing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.