Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried any of the radical options for the initial game - bypassing Sicily and going Sardinia -> Rome or direct to the boot? I’m curious if these options are at all viable. I can see that after you clear Sicily and then probably do the Salerno landings, then after that you might branch out in a different direction from Anzio, doing an invasion on the east coast or skipping further north. But the Sicily->Salerno path, using the historical landing beaches, just seems like by far the most sensible way to go. The altrnative routes the game lets you explore just seem to have risks far in excess of the possible rewards. But I’d be curious if anyone has tried them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Like you say, if you're playing the percentages, there's no doubt that following the historical path early on gives you the best chance to succeed. That said, your strategy will obviously also depend a lot on how aggressive the German player is.

Another important part when deciding the Allied strategy is simply which rules you use. Carl has posted some key rules changes, for instance to the supply rule and how commando landings work. If I'm not mistaken, these changes hasn't made it into the Living Rules though, so I guess it's up to you to decide if you think they're "official" or not.

The original supply rule encourages the Allied player to make more difficult landings just to threaten to eliminate whole stacks of Germans. The new rule makes that much less rewarding for the Allies.
Similarly, commandos used to be exempt from losses during Unsupported Landings, making it a viable strategy to land them in the German rear areas away from the main invasion site, but that has now changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1814550/campaign-game-p...

I have done this, it beats hanging around Monte Cassino for eight turns.

Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.