Popular Tags: [View All]
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few years ago I posted some graphs I made by analyzing acquisition data I keep track of on BGG (buying and selling games).

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1148093/game-acquisitio...

I thought I'd dig into that project again, and update it.

Now, some will look at this information and ask, "why did you waste your time with this? Did you, or we, learn anything useful? How will you change how you approach the hobby?". These people should be ignored. I like to fiddle with data, and I keep track of all this stuff, it demands to be analyzed!

I leverage the "Acquisition Date" in Private Data. I also keep track of "Price Paid". I wanted to keep track of "Date Sold" (or given away, traded, whatever), as well as the price I sold it for. As there were no fields that, I stored the information in the "Private Comment" field.

I did the best to find all the price paid for games, when I couldn't find any, I used the other data I had to come up with an average price I pay for my games: $21.

The first one is a growth chart of my collection, including games I sold. You can see it tapers off, this is greatly influenced by a decision I made to limit my collection to a size which can fit on my shelves.

You can see that my shelves max out right around 250. This limitation has caused some tough choices, but, it works for me.

Here I break my acquisitions and sales (once again, "sales" includes trading and giveaways) by quarter, and by year:

Shows a pretty typical story, right? Gamer finds the hobby, ravenously builds their collection until they start to realize, "All this buying isn't increasing my play time." So, we start to chill out.

Ok, so, as I said, I also kept track of purchase and sales price. So, I did some graphs showing a cumulative, total outlay. What impacts this graph interestingly is that I will get games as gifts, which I record as "$0". BUT, I didn't pay for them!

Not surprisingly, we see the same tapering off.

Finally, so, does buying new games impact the amount of games I play? Perhaps gamers don't wanna see this, but, it shouldn't be surprising that the answer is "no".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen The_Geek
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So your average number of plays is 20 per game? 5000/250 = 20

That's a pretty good effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather K
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love statistics about personal hobbies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, these aren’t just plays of my games, but, all games. Honestly, I’d estimate that only half of my plays are on games I own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMK
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
May neighbors respect you, trouble neglect you, The angels protect you, and heaven accept you.
badge
May your troubles be less, and your blessing be more. And nothing but happiness, come through your door.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome. Thanks for sharing. I also keep track of the games I play and own, but haven't kept track of when I acquired a particular game so unfortunately I would be unable to do something similar.

I am impressed how consistently you play games. Your games played graph is incredibly smooth. My plays per month over the last 6 years (since I started recording them) fluctuate from low teens to about 120.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! That's quite a fluctuation. Does that include online plays?

Keele047 wrote:
This is awesome. Thanks for sharing. I also keep track of the games I play and own, but haven't kept track of when I acquired a particular game so unfortunately I would be unable to do something similar.

I am impressed how consistently you play games. Your games played graph is incredibly smooth. My plays per month over the last 6 years (since I started recording them) fluctuate from low teens to about 120.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMK
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
May neighbors respect you, trouble neglect you, The angels protect you, and heaven accept you.
badge
May your troubles be less, and your blessing be more. And nothing but happiness, come through your door.
mbmbmbmbmb
davebo wrote:
Wow! That's quite a fluctuation. Does that include online plays?

Keele047 wrote:

It does not include online plays. The fluctuation is mostly due to a very uneven work schedule throughout the year. Some months (mostly the Spring) I work 80+ hours a week. Other months I average 25 hours a week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Mero
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like graphs you may enjoy the geeklist I put up recently about my own habits. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/238062/my-2017-stats

Quote:
Finally, so, does buying new games impact the amount of games I play? Perhaps gamers don't wanna see this, but, it shouldn't be surprising that the answer is "no".

There's no way to know but I'd be interested to see what your games played graph looked like over a few years if you DIDN'T buy any new games. I would guess that you number of plays would drop as eventually you'd tire of playing the same games over and over.

Maybe games bought to games played is similar to the act of losing weight as you get older. As you get older(longer you're in the hobby) you have to do more and more work just to maintain your baseline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I play a lot of other people's games. Plus, as I get older in the hobby, my "cult of the new" ratio is more like "cult of the proven", that is, more and more often new games aren't worth the trouble of learning them. Often, after learning a new game, I think, "this scratches the same itch as game-xyz, why not just play that?".

So, I don't think that my last comparative graph proves that buying less games has little impact, I think it just backs up the point that I'm not interested in learning new games "just to try them out".

I'm not sure if I follow this?

Jimmydm90 wrote:
Maybe games bought to games played is similar to the act of losing weight as you get older. As you get older(longer you're in the hobby) you have to do more and more work just to maintain your baseline.

Jimmydm90 wrote:
If you like graphs you may enjoy the geeklist I put up recently about my own habits. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/238062/my-2017-stats

Quote:

There's no way to know but I'd be interested to see what your games played graph looked like over a few years if you DIDN'T buy any new games. I would guess that you number of plays would drop as eventually you'd tire of playing the same games over and over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weee!!! More!!!

This first graph is pretty obvious, just, total plays by quarter. A lot of the drop off you see is due to my kids getting older. There was a while there, when they were younger, that we'd play a lot of games. Plus, I was pretty ravenously new in the hobby.

The next step is to look at the total amount of time spent gaming, so I used the "Average Play Time" field BGG supplies. Pretty neat.

Ok, this last one is pretty cool, conceptually, but, I must admit I was a bit disappointed that the results weren't more dramatic. What I've done with this final one is take each game play, multiply the time played by the average weight (complexity) of the game, sum that up, then divide by the total time played. This gives the average game weight per time played. So, if I played a game weighted 1 for 5 minutes, then a game weighted 3 for 3 hours, well, it's gonna come out just a smidge below "3" because those three hours overwhelm the 5 minutes. So, I guess, on the average, what weight game am I playing at any given time?

I had assumed that the weight of games I play would have changed more, as I started out playing lighter games (with my kids), and have found that my taste for heavy games has waned a bit as of late. But, doesn't seem to be the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.