Subject: Strategy Guide? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does a strategy guide to Eagles of France exist?
I'm thinking of something along the lines of Vince's excellent write up on cavalry tactics here on BGG, but more comprehensive in scope.
If time permits, I'd love to take a stab at putting something together.
I envision a document the covers best practices and recommended tactics.
As reasonable minds would differ here and there, it should include multiple approaches when appropriate, spelling out pros and cons.
As I don't presume to know everything there is to know about how best to play the game, I'd circulate a draft for comment and feedback here, on this forum, before uploading a completed draft as a file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
walter vejdo
France
paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello
This is in project but time is lacking currently.
Walter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exciting to hear. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Reschreiter
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This would be very useful to new players, in order to give them a chance when playing with more experienced ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuseppe Tamba
Italy
Roma
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it is a great idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps we can give Walter a hand and bat some ideas around here?
If I have the time I'd be more than happy to post something to get the ball rolling.
Folks could join in and I imagine it would not only be an enjoyable exercise for everyone involved, but a helpful resource to whomever is working on the final, official product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a first crack at an opening section.
This would be applicable to pretty much ANY war game, and as such it's very generic.
Still, I think it should be spelled out in any strategy guide.
Comment away!

Eagles of France Strategy Guide
GENERAL PRINCIPLES

In Eagles of France, victory is achieved by amassing more victory points that one’s opponent(s). These victory points come in the form of flags, which are earned by eliminating units and in accordance with scenario-specific instructions. Most flags will typically be earned by occupying certain locations on the battlefield.

The primary means to the end of earning flags is combat: offensive engagements to capture flags, or to open pathways to their capture, and defensive engagements to deny your opponent the same.
Success in combat is affected, primarily by the following factors, each of which will be discussed in turn:
• Terrain
• Stack composition
• Placement of stacks, units, and leaders
• Use of stacks, units, and leaders

To prevail consistently in combat (and in the game), you should not put your faith in luck. Rather, you should base your decisions upon carefully calculated odds, in which you compare the potential benefits of a situation against its risks. As a general rule, you should only take action when such potential benefits outweigh such risks. Further, you should try to engineer situations which afford you not merely favorable odds, but rather the best possible odds in a particular anticipated combat engagement. You can do this by maximizing the potential benefits of the engagement, and minimizing its potential risks, via manipulation the above-mentioned factors to your favor.

Bear in mind the risk of inaction, or the opportunity cost of foregoing another possible option. Offensive fire combat, for example, is accompanyied by no immediate combat risk to the attacking unit(s). But this does come with a movement penalty, and may not be a wise decision if your units would be put to better use moving more rapidly through the area in question.

There are exceptions to the general rule of acting only upon favorable odds, or the best possible odds, and these should be borne in mind. If time is waning, and your situation is desperate, then you may need to act upon the least unfavorable odds possible, rather than upon odds that are indeed objectively favorable. Further, if you are besting your opponent, an engagement with an equal chance of failure versus success might be advisable if you could withstand the loss whereas he could not. Finally, if multiple important opportunities (or challenges) present themselves, it will probably be advisable to utilize your forces in such a way as to give you decent odds with regard to each such opportunity or challenge, rather than the best possible odds with regard to one. In short, situational awareness, in conjunction with judicious, odds-based decision making, is a second key component to success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.