Subject: Attacking progress in one turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
milos majstorovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
I have several questions if anyone is monitoring this old game forum:

1) Attacking in one turn:
If I attack and conquer the adjacent territory, can I continue attacking from that newly conquered territory to the next adjacent ones in the same turn, or I need to wait for the next turn for that?
2) Number of cards:
If we draft cards on the start of the each turn, do we do that only if we have less than 3 cards or in any case? For example if we have 2 cards, should we draft additional 2 and have 4 or just one to have 3?
And is 3 cards maximum number of cards, or we may collect cards as much as we like without using it?
3) Generals and Marshalls:
Do these cards adds one point only to the one highest dice?

thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Los 28
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Oh yes! Absolutely you can keep going on the same turn. That is what makes Risk fun. Just make sure you plan your continued line of attacks correctly, so that a large number of your armies never get stopped/stuck (come to a dead-end) because you cannot continue onwards to another adjacent enemy territory.

And remember also, that as the attacker you have control on where and how to attack. So you can attack one territory, and if that is not going well, you can (temporarily) stop and now attack another territory with another set of your armies, on the other side of the board (for example). Then if you want, you can decide to go back to the first battle-area, and continue the attack that you temporarily stopped with, earlier in your turn.
So have as many battles as you want, anywhere on the board during your turn. But of course, it is wise to leave a sufficient number of armies in your territories, as a line of defense, because your opponents will have their turn and then attack you.

2) The rules say:
...#1. If you have less than 3 cards, bring your hand up to 3.
...#2. Draw one card.
...#3. Play cards if you wish. (Some cards will be played out of this order.)

So according to rule #2, you always get to draw one additional card, which means that technically you could end-up with having 5 or 6 (etc, etc) cards during a game (if you are saving and not using your cards). This is fine/legal, if you wish.

You ask/say: "For example if we have 2 cards, should we draft additional 2 and have 4 or just one to have 3?"
So if you have this scenario, and you follow the rules, you must first bring your hand up to 3 cards, and then you draw 1 additional card, which means you have a total of 4 cards. Then according to rule #3, you can now play (as many) cards as you want. (At the very start of your turn, before you make your first attack, the cards you play are usually the Reinforcements and Diplomat cards.)

3) You are correct. They only add one point to your highest die roll (only one die). And remember that if your highest die roll is a 6, it becomes a 7.

Have fun!
meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milos majstorovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
Thank you for your kind answer. 2 and 3 are perfectly clear, but I`m not sure if you understand me correctly for the first question.
Example:
Territory A is adjacent to territory B, and territory B is adjacent to territory C, but A and C aren`t adjacent. My question is whether I can start my attack from territory A to B, and after success, from B to C...all of that in one turn?

I`m confused of this since manual states:
"An attack is one or more battles fought with the dice.....
- You may only attack from one of your territories to an adjacent enemy territory (next to it)"

If instead of bolded was wording "battle" it would be obvious that it is allowed to move from A to C (accros B) in two battles within one attack/turn, since all battles would be performed between adjacent territories. But since there is word "attack", I`m questioning myself if that maybe means that all battles which is part of one attack can be initiated only to territories which are adjacent just to the initialy owned territories on a start of the turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Los 28
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I understand what you are saying.
The problem with the wording in the Castle Risk instructions manual is that the rules try to make a distinction between the words "battle" and "attack." In my opinion, this does confuse players.

Having said that, I have played a number of versions of Risk. What I can tell you, is that after attacking one adjacent territory and winning/capturing it, the Risk family of games have always allowed you to continue to attack the next adjacent territory in the same turn, if you wish (and if you have at least 2 armies).

The instructions manual for this specific game (Castle Risk), do not explain the attack (and continue to attack) rules as well/good, as other Risk game instruction manuals do. So I will admit that I am making an assumption that you can continue to attack in Castle Risk, in similarity to (all) the other Risk games.

But maybe others in this forum, would like to comment and share their opinions about this rule. How do other's play (in Castle Risk)? More opinions from other BGG members can help.

Edit to add ...
You ask/say: "Territory A is adjacent to territory B, and territory B is adjacent to territory C, but A and C aren`t adjacent. My question is whether I can start my attack from territory A to B, and after success, from B to C...all of that in one turn?"

Yes, this is how all the Risk family of games are usually played. So to answer this specific question or scenario that you have here, the answer is Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milos majstorovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
It seems that nobody is observing this thread. It is such an old game so it is not strange to be like that.
I saw one additional thing in strategy hints (last hint), based on which we could maybe conclude that rule should be interpreted in a way that adjacent territories should be treated just those which are adjacent before an attack, and not before the battle:
Quote:
When attacking another player`s territory, consider stopping the attack when the player is down to one army - especially if that player`s territory acts as a buffer between you and another threatening territory. Remember, the player cannot attack with one army, and cannot move armies through territories he or she occupies.

What do you think? This hint would be useless if played as you said...buffer territory have use if other opponents in one turn can`t move to the territories which aren`t adjacent to them at the beggining of the attack...they can move to the adjacent buffer territory but not more ahead in one turn - am I right?
Anyway, did you try to play it with different rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Los 28
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That "hint" just means that you should consider stopping your attack on a territory, when it is down to one army (so don't occupy and control the territory, but just reduce the army size to a small amount). So if you keep attacking and advancing from one adjacent territory to another, and you notice a very large army coming-up, they are advising that you attack the territory that is immediately before this large army, deplete it to a low-level threat, and then stop your advance (don't occupy it). By doing so, the "large army" will not be adjacent to your territory, and can not be a threat to you on that player's next turn to play.

I have played many versions of Risk with my brothers and friends for 35 years or so. We have never played a version of Risk that only allows you to attack one adjacent territory per each player's turn (even if you could do this with various attacks in different areas of the map). If we did play games that way, it would take a very, very, very long time. Risk games can already be very lengthy games to play (in time), and playing it one territory at a time would be extremely testing with one's patience.

Have fun. meeple

PS: You may want to try watching some videos that explain the way Risk is played when attacking. You can probably find some on YouTube.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milos majstorovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
Ok, it make sense if the buffer territory is in the ownership of the same player from which large army treat exists. I had played the classic Risk when I was young and remember that everyone had their own home-made rules

Even in this way that you told, one of my games of Castle Risk lasted for more than 2 hours (only 2 players game).
Spoils are distributed on territories when all players finish turns, or just one by one? Rules mention that spoils are collected and distributed at the end of your turn, but that doesn`t make sense since 2nd player would always have disadvantage after 1st player`s first turn, since 1st player will distribute 8 additional armies before 2nd player first move. Therefore we distributed spoils when all players finished their turns...what do you think>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Los 28
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of a player's turn, it is only that player that collects spoils, not all players. But it you have this as a "house rule," then that is fine. Play the game as you wish.

The second player does have a small disadvantage, but that is just accepted. If you are constantly playing Risk with the same person, you should keep a piece of paper in your game box, and you should document who went first in your last game. By doing so, you can alternate who goes first in the next game you play, that way each player gets an equal chance of going first.

If I recall correctly, the Risk game called Risk (Revised Edition 2008) has rules where the second player gets extra pieces of army and/or an additional card (only at the very beginning of each game), to offset "the disadvantage" of going second. You may want to implement something similar to this in your "house rules" for Castle Risk. By the way, the Risk Revised Edition 2008 is my favorite of all the Risk family of games. I like the rules and the setup for this game, and I no longer play the "vanilla" (original) version of Risk. But on occasion, I do play Castle Risk.

Here is a direct link to Risk Revised (2008) in BGG: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/37198/risk-revised-e...
You should find links to the rules here, on if not, search the Web (online) to find the rules for this version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.