Popular Tags: [View All]
Manuel
Portugal
Porto
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

Can I place two merchants that touch diagonally?

I am assuming so but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod S.
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so. The rules say clearly that merchants have to be placed orthogonally to another merchant already on the board and cannot be adjacent to 2 merchants.

So I say that means no, but I am sure there are rules lawyers that will say differently. Anyway, that is how I read it and think it is meant in the spirit of the game.

EDIT: You may see an inconsistency there as you add more merchants to the beginning or end of the line then the ones in the middle will of course eventually be adjacent to 2 merchants. But it is the "placement" that is the key here I believe. And by following that set of rules I don't see how you could end up legally having a merchant that is both adjacent orthogonally & diagonally at any point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Mecoides
Australia
St Kilda
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any problem with this. The English Rules say:

Quote:
Merchants must be placed orthogonal adjacent to a merchant already present on the board. Newly placed merchants are always adjacent to one merchant at the beginning or the end of the market street and may never be adjacent to two merchants.

I think that the intention is that a merchant should not be orthogonal adjacent to two merchants. I believe this is for practical reasons (i.e. so it is clear which merchant is at the beginning and end of a merchant train at any point).m

For example, merchants might be placed in the order shown below. The red spaces would not be legal for a new merchant. The green spaces are legal for the next placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel
Portugal
Porto
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys, I am playing like you described on your visual diagram. I think I will continue to play like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod S.
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I guess that is correct. It has been a while since I last played and I was trying to remember from memory how the placement restrictions worked.

I really think this is a fun game, but I don't get many opportunities to play it since most of the people I have played it with don't care for it. Very unfortunate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.