Subject: Yet another ranged focus (and disadvantaged) question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) For ranged enemies that start standing right next to a player and in range of other player, what do they do?

Player 1: 1 hex away (adjacent), initiative 30
Player 2: 3 hex away, initiative 10
Player 3: 2 hex away, initiative 50
Monster: ranged (3 distance), initiative 1, performing an attack

So my thought would be it looks for closest enemy it can attack in range, that is all players. So next step is based on proximity so that seems to be player 1. But since it's attacking, to get rid of disadvantage it would have to move 1 space away which is fine?

2) What if the monster literally has no space to move (its surrounded by wall or traps), it would just attack player 1 without moving I'm thinking (it prefers disadvantage to stepping on traps)

3) Unrelated, but if player is standing next to a monster, and is doing a ranged AOE attack that targets a monster 2 spaces away that also happens to affect the adjacent monster, does the whole attack get disadvantage or just the adjacent monster (since you draw modifiers for each separately)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
1)Yes.
2)If it cannot remove disadvantage, then it would attack with disadvantage. It would not switch focus.
3)You get disadvantage on ATTACKS, not ATTACK ACTIONS. An attack is a single hit, so you can make an attack action that only has disadvantage against some targets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V C
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
Joou wrote:
1)Yes.
2)If it cannot remove disadvantage, then it would attack with disadvantage. It would not switch focus.
3)You get disadvantage on ATTACKS, not ATTACK ACTIONS. An attack is a single hit, so you can make an attack action that only has disadvantage against some targets.

For number 2 you appear to have only answered part of the question. He has also asked whether the monster would prefer standing on a trap or to attack with disadvantage. I am unsure myself. The monster has a place to attack so treats the trap like an obstacle? Or the monster sees a place to attack without disadvantage, but the only path is through a trap, so moves through the trap?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjorn B
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganashal wrote:
Joou wrote:
1)Yes.

For number 2 you appear to have only answered part of the question. He has also asked whether the monster would prefer standing on a trap or to attack with disadvantage. I am unsure myself. The monster has a place to attack so treats the trap like an obstacle? Or the monster sees a place to attack without disadvantage, but the only path is through a trap, so moves through the trap?

If there is any possible path to a spot to attack from without stepping on a trap (or hazardous terrain), it won't ever step on a trap (or hazardous terrain).
A monster would even go around a trap if that would mean the monster won't attack this turn. So it certainly doesn't step on traps to avoid disadvantage.

Of course this all doesn't count for flying enemies, because they don't spring traps.

When practicing, you can use this flowchart. You will get the hang of it quicker than you think.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/159106/complete-monster-a...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.