Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the thread about Fox being overpowered, and the suggestion that Dragonfly was underpowered. So, when I invited a couple of first timers around for a four player, I took out Fox as a possibility, and picked Dragonfly for myself. The others were Lotus, Turtle, Koi.

As Dragonfly I went for an Oni strategy, and keeping on the board. I didn't bother praying to gods. This seemed to go terribly most of the game, but I did manage to rack up a couple of provinces a turn, and keep a certain board presence.

In the last round things began to coalesce. The Oni which gives you points for other Oni when you win a province made some impact. The presence of the Oni acted as a disincentive of sorts.

A hostage here or there and winning a decent set of provinces proved just enough to squeak a victory... by 2 points.

Lessons:

1. I felt the Oni low honour strategy was very touch and go. It worked out, but only by the skin of my teeth did I convince one (inexperienced) player not to buy an Oni that was pretty much make or break for me. You need them all or it's a bust. And you can't use seppuku. I don't think I would try it again.

2. Dragonfly has value. Being able to move all your dudes in one swoop to a crucial province is fun. But it feels more situational than the more solid powers.

3. Deciding not to worship has a serious cost, but allows for more persistent board presence.

4. A win can be so so close. A couple of hostage point steals can make all the difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Seijuro
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting! Thanks. Do you recall the fourth clan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiko Seijuro wrote:

Yes. It was koi. I accidentally erased earlier. Koi came 2nd. Turtle 3rd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the lessons are

1) Fox not overpowered
2) Dragonfly not underpowered
3) Game about playing well rewards good play
4) Threads from people who played twice insufficient to determine balance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wheeler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also...

5. Playing with inexperienced players allows you to convince them not to take an action which, if taken, would have cost you the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Seijuro
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
Hiko Seijuro wrote:

Yes. It was koi. I accidentally erased earlier. Koi came 2nd. Turtle 3rd.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhwho wrote:
Also...

5. Playing with inexperienced players allows you to convince them not to take an action which, if taken, would have cost you the game. :D

To be fair, the person just wanted it because they wanted a monster. They were playing a high honour strategy, so it really wouldn’t have helped them much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wheeler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
But it would have harmed you in more than one way (VPs for winning battle and Winter Upgrade VPs), and that’s sometimes just as valuable. 😁

It would certainly have cost you more than 2 points and thus you would not have won.

Tut tut. 😄

(I mean personally I believe you are never obliged to point out such facts as ideal turns to other players, although I might take pity on a newbie. As far as our group is concerned giving helpful advice which happens to distract others from seeing what you are doing is part of game play. However it is also part of play for other players to point out why you are being so helpful and what you are distracting them from.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhwho wrote:
But it would have harmed you in more than one way (VPs for winning battle and Winter Upgrade VPs), and that’s sometimes just as valuable. 😁

It would certainly have cost you more than 2 points and thus you would not have won.

Tut tut. 😄

(I mean personally I believe you are never obliged to point out such facts as ideal turns to other players, although I might take pity on a newbie. As far as our group is concerned giving helpful advice which happens to distract others from seeing what you are doing is part of game play. However it is also part of play for other players to point out why you are being so helpful and what you are distracting them from.)

All fair points, although at that stage I was languishing firmly at the bottom of the score track with nul points (although on my way to a couple of sets), and the oni strategy was all I had going.

He would certainly have hurt my chances by taking that oni; he would also have denied himself a large amount of cash that he earned with way of the serpent. Who knows. I don't feel too bad :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.