Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Wang
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In the first games (about 10-15) my group played Santorini with 4 players, we found that the god powers that concern opponent's turns, such as Athena, Aphrodite, Persephone, are very broken to us.

Parties playing with any of these gods ended up winning, regardless of who played them.

After the first couple times this happened, we found the pattern and came up with this theory and tested it for several more times.

The theory did not fail and we were a bit frustrated.

We think a possible reason is these god powers are affecting both opponents rather than a single player, making these powers twice as strong as they would be in 2-player games.

Does anyone have similar comments or counter-arguments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well they're definitely going to be brutal if you combine two of them together. I would avoid that if at all possible.

Of the ones you mention, Aphrodite is commonly considered to be one of the strongest gods in Santorini, so I'm not surprised to see that reaction. Persephone on the other hand is commonly considered to be one of the weakest.

I have noticed Athena can be stronger in 4P because if your partner moves down on their turn, you can move back up again on yours, keeping your opponent "forever" under her power restriction. However, doing this repeatedly requires a specific style of play which your opponents can see and maybe disrupt, and does not involve you actually gaining height overall.

You could house rule that restrictive powers only apply to the following player (player to the left) if you're really finding this to be the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Wang
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mind_ranger wrote:

You could house rule that restrictive powers only apply to the following player (player to the left) if you're really finding this to be the case.

That's exactly what we do nowadays. Thanks for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is so interesting to hear Persephone as considered among the weakest.
Shes all but undefeated at my table.
She is definitely one of the most feared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But all she wants to do is grow flowers! heart

That's one of the things I love about this game, is how one group will see one character as OP and another one will see the same one as weak.

Then you get to play each side against each other, using the one they think is broken, and find out who is right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Wang
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dnl80 wrote:
In the first games (about 10-15) my group played Santorini with 4 players, we found that the god powers that concern opponent's turns, such as Athena, Aphrodite, Persephone, are very broken to us.

Parties playing with any of these gods ended up winning, regardless of who played them.

After the first couple times this happened, we found the pattern and came up with this theory and tested it for several more times.

The theory did not fail and we were a bit frustrated.

We think a possible reason is these god powers are affecting both opponents rather than a single player, making these powers twice as strong as they would be in 2-player games.

Does anyone have similar comments or counter-arguments?

Just curious, anyone else have a comment about this issue? I have a hard time convincing myself that no one else feels similarly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.