Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
So my week in the spotlight is up, and I am here to pass the torch to my successor, repairmanjack.

Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I first encountered repairmanjack in the hallowed halls of the 1 Player guild, where to this day he continues to lure me into more and more boardgame purchases.

Feisty, long-winded, and occasionally erudite, I have come to adore his posts. Here is more about him, in his own words:

Quote:
Well, I made it. This feels like the Carnegie Hall of Geekdom. Thank you, Steve, I'm thrilled and humbled to be the new Geek of the Week.

So... hi, everyone! I'm Jason and here's a bit about me: I'm turning forty-five this year and I'm trying to work out if that now puts me at my second or third childhood. I was an overly serious child and teen, for the general reasons kids can be; as an adult I've always tried to do everything with a sense of fun. (I've little doubt that a big reason my wife agreed to marry me was because I manage to make her laugh a lot (ok, with the occasional eye-roll)). This year marks our fifth anniversary, and we're blessed with a beautiful daughter who has her mum's looks and brains, and my sense of humour and ... um... height. And love of rolling dice.

I post here way more than is healthy, and probably have shared more than anyone would ever care to read. I'm not sure if my week will have anything new to teach anyone.

I've always loved games. Earlier in life, my brother and I would play Heroquest, Crossbows and Catapults, Dark Future, etc. (None of which survived a parental purge.) At High School, some friends were talking about something called Dungeons & Dragons; the school had a club run by a cool young teacher and some of their older siblings. I went once and was hooked. Shortly after, I was studying all of the almanacs and compendiums (with my parents wishing I'd hit school-books with such fervour), and then I started collecting games to play at home. That's when I encountered Battlecars, Talisman (second edition), Blood Bowl, Dungeonquest, Chainsaw Warrior, etc. Proving just how tough it is, Chainsaw Warrior is the only thing that's survived storms, floods, lofts and drops. It still sits on my shelf today.

Videogames hooked me for most of my life. Started with a Spectrum, programming dire little games into it, with my Dad, in Basic. Then got into Elite and all the classics they don't make any more. (I'm perplexed by the current trend of pixelating modern games to look retro, as none of them seem able to capture the feel of those early thrills.) I've owned most consoles, and built up a vast library of games - the trading and sales of which have allowed me to fund and build up the cardboard empire we have now.

My wife hails from Germany and has lived in the U.K. for ten years. She's a bit happier in front of the TV than I am, but comes from a gaming culture and it was at her suggestion we looked at getting a couple of games to play in the evenings. That would have been about six years ago... and things kind of grew from there.

I work as a teacher and try to work as a writer too. I loathe travelling but love arriving (I'm basically waiting for teleportation to get sorted out - although as I'm 6'5" I'm hoping we get more headroom in the transporters than I find on most public transport).

As is tradition, here are a few questions to get the week rolling!

1 - You have a ton of miniatures games, what is your single favourite mini?
2 - What is your desert island game?
3 - First album you ever bought?
4 - What costume would you wear if invited to a costume party?

Have a great week!

Poll
Two Truths and a Lie!
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
1) I have been immortalised as a player piece in a boardgame, as recognition for session reports I have written here.
17.1% 19
2) My postman uses a coded knock when he brings parcels for me, so I have a shot at getting to the door before anyone else in the family. (I refer to him as Deep Knock.)
51.4% 57
3) I have written two novels, both of which have representation at an agency. My second features a boardgame designer as the protagonist, so I created a game within the narrative. I developed the fictional game to such a degree that I'm considering sharing it with a couple of publishers to gauge their interest.
31.5% 35
Voters 111
This poll is now closed.   111 answers
Poll created by reverendunclebastard
Closes: Sat Mar 3, 2018 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jason!
Hope you have a wizard of a week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizardly type? If so, who? If not, why? And which game/book/show (if any) is he/she from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Buddy!!

And for once, I knew the answers to the poll question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Bear
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! I cannot think of a better fellow to deserve it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jason!!!

Question: Favorite Cthulhu investigator / hero to play? From which game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Schira
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Congrats!

What is you favourite game to play with your wife together?
What is your favourite game to play without her?

Enjoy your week (and every one after that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Terebayza
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! Enjoy the week...my question: what’s been your favorite or most memorable moment as a teacher?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ting Lawrence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jason! Hope you have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!! Well deserved!

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In a hole in the ground there lived a
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jason! Enjoy your week in the sun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Hey, you're touching my face...
mbmbmbmbmb
A big congrats to you Jason!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
When I'm not looking, my games play each other!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so hoping that the secret knock is true! That is so great! Congrats Jason. Hope you have an amazing week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot!! Congrats, Jason. Enjoy your week in the spotlight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jason,

Congratulations on Geek Of The Week.

My question is....

You buy a lot of games. What is it exactly that you repair and can you teach me (since it obviously pays better than what I do)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzy Vitale
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
When empty, please refill with tea.
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep Knock...lol (please let this be true - and if so, how do I train my postman to do the same?)

Congrats, mate! You are the funniest dude in the 1PG. Your posts always make me at least chuckle, sometimes even spit my tea across the room. laugh

Enjoy your week!

Edit: Also, I hope we get to meet in person someday. We might span the 1PG height spectrum, you at 6'5" and me at 5'3". Standing side-by-side would make a great photo, ha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Who dares disturb the Hobnob Goblin?
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

Tell me, what is your favourite piece of classical music? (You can answer for chamber music or modern orchestral music instead if you like.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Winning
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jason!!!

What’s your favorite dish to cook?
What’s your favorite dish to eat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jason, enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jason,

So chuffed to see you receiving the ultimate BGG accolade! Congratulations to one of my favourite BGG and 1PG contributors! Similarly, as mentioned by Suzy above, I look forward to reading all your gaming posts.

My two questions are as follows:

How do you manage to fit so much gaming into your spare time?

Will we get to meet you at the UK Expo in June or the 1PG meet-up later in the year?

Have a great well-deserved week as Geek of the Week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Jason, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jason, mucho deservo and welcome to the fold - enjoy your week! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jason. Have a great week!

What is your favorite spaceship? And why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morning all, and thanks very much for the kind words. Right, let's get started on some of these questions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
Congratulations Jason!
Hope you have a wizard of a week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizardly type? If so, who? If not, why? And which game/book/show (if any) is he/she from?

As much as I'm a huge fan of Gandalf, my favourite wizard is Rincewind from the Discworld novels. Pratchett is the only writer that could make me feel, in my forties, the same way I did when I read books as a child. His passing was an incredible loss to literature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.