Subject: Warped tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phillip Martin
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Any help on getting these straightned out? I've never had this issue before and don't want to do something stupid and break one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Stack
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sometimes this is due to tiles being transferred to a drier climate after being manufactured. Cold winter days tend to exacerbated this.

One approach that usually works: Place them in a refrigerator for 1-2 hours to add a little humidity back. Remove from the refrigerator, place under weight (books, other board games, etc.). Let them re-acclimate for 1-2 days with the weight pressing down to keep them flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Martin
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I'm in Minnesota, so it's been as cold and dry as ever. Thank you! I'll get that going tomorrow morning if I don't get another round or two in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Montgomery
United States
Otisville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never had a Zombicide tile that is straight. I have considered getting plexiglass. I love the game, but all of my tiles are warped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
NMUWildcat027 wrote:
I have never had a Zombicide tile that is straight. I have considered getting plexiglass. I love the game, but all of my tiles are warped.

I would extend this to all CMON games and, in fact, all games that print unmounted boards. Thick, open-edged cardboard tiles are very prone to warping. There’s not much that can be done about it.

They almost always relax on their own over time, but it can take months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
NMUWildcat027 wrote:

I would extend this to all CMON games and, in fact, all games that print unmounted boards. Thick, open-edged cardboard tiles are very prone to warping. There’s not much that can be done about it.

They almost always relax on their own over time, but it can take months.

Based on anecdotal evidence this is not quite correct. Some of my non-wrapped/open-edged tiles in other games have never warped. Examples that I recall are:

Orcs Must Die
Dark Souls
Myth

Every single CMON game I have warps, as do other, but not all, games. It sure why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like to
United States
Piney Woods
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaia Project was having this problem and people were having good success in flattening boards by laying them out on a table and periodically throughout the day flipping the boards over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just gently bend mine back. Cautiously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once they're flattened out again, it might be a good idea to put a good layer of matte varnish over them. Don't use a gloss varnish or you won't be able to see anything on the board anymore.

The varnish will greatly reduce this warping effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marphi wrote:
I'm in Minnesota, so it's been as cold and dry as ever. Thank you! I'll get that going tomorrow morning if I don't get another round or two in!

Let us know if that worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cleverley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Marphi wrote:

Likewise, following.

I am experiencing this in the UK too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Martin
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
sagitar wrote:

It worked fairly well! I put them all in the fridge for about 90 minutes and then put my Gloomhaven box on it for 24 hours and flipped the tiles once for good measure sometime in the middle. Not a 100% fix, but mine are 90%... YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Phillip.

Hope I'll never need it, but it's good to have some tricks at hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Conner
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone contact CMON about this? My tiles warped badly when I took them outside this weekend. I'm going to try the freezer trick and see if it helps any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmb
I find when I take mine out of the box they warp a bit but then settle down again after an hour or so

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still something they should be made aware of so they can improve their product.

Especially at the price it goes for over here, I won't be in a hurry to buy my copy untill they've got the problem solved.

A game about horror does not need the horror of warped tiles..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One and Only Noir
Germany
Walldürn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have the same problem here. I played Green Horde last weekend for the first time and the tiles warped extremely once taken out of the shrinkwrap. Never had SUCH a problem with warping ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maziken wrote:
Has anyone contact CMON about this? My tiles warped badly when I took them outside this weekend. I'm going to try the freezer trick and see if it helps any.

Anything from CMON?

I'm starting to feel hesitant about buying the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Conner
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Maziken wrote:

Anything from CMON?

I'm starting to feel hesitant about buying the game.

They have offered to replace the tiles, but could not guarantee that it won't happen with the replacement tiles as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm.... sounds like a manufacturing error.

I mean if it was just a case of 'wrong' storage, you could fix the problem and be done with it.

Don't recall such problems reported on the original game, so what did they do different

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine warped as well. After putting a stack of heavy games on top for a few days it got acceptable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Conner
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:

I mean if it was just a case of 'wrong' storage, you could fix the problem and be done with it.

Don't recall such problems reported on the original game, so what did they do different

Yeah, I have no problems with my Black Plague tiles. But this is definitely stopping me from backing Invader at this point. I don't trust that they have it resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like to
United States
Piney Woods
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My tiles were warped and I just did this on them and they are completely flat now.
Chuck Dice wrote:
Gaia Project was having this problem and people were having good success in flattening boards by laying them out on a table and periodically throughout the day flipping the boards over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rees
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I can stop any time I want
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandKhan44 wrote:
Mine warped as well. After putting a stack of heavy games on top for a few days it got acceptable.

I did even less. I put mine back in the box and put the box of minis on top, like they originally were. I left it in my car for a few days, and when I brought the game in to put the tiles underneath Gloomhaven to flatten out, they had fixed themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maziken wrote:
sagitar wrote:

Yeah, I have no problems with my Black Plague tiles. But this is definitely stopping me from backing Invader at this point. I don't trust that they have it resolved.

Invader?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.