Sphere
United States
flag msg tools
Where there is darkness, let me sow light.
mbmbmb
Is there such a thing as a "Vorthos" Legendary player?

I have been playing ML scenarios in chronological order of hero, villain or schemes appearances in comic, using sites like supermegamonkey.net or uncannyxmen.net (thank you to those sites!) So far, my family is up to 1992, Spider-Man # 23, where Misterio and the Sinister Six stole a bunch of alien tech from another dimension, and proceeded to get their butts kicked by Spidey, Hulk, Nova, Ghost Rider, Solo, and the entire Fantastic Four (That was a fun one.) Whenever a new set comes out, we go back in time to pick up the issues new hero cards were included in.

I finally got the Villains Box when I needed Magneto as a hero for Age of Apocalypse. My wife hated playing Hydra, so I played most of the schemes solo or converted them to Hero-side game sessions. So far, I have observed that villain allies do not mix well with heroes, and end up make my game group members wish they were not included in the hero deck, even when the comic calls for them.

So, the only set I do not currently have is Fear Itself. I don't know that whole storyline, and feel iffy about the Villains game from a thematic point of view.

Is there anyone who would like to offer a rationale for Fear Itself's value in terms of thematic gameplay, and overall significance in the Marvel Universe? I'm happy to entertain any sound general arguments or promotions of individual cards in the set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Minis painted "As you wish"
badge
PM me for commission painting info!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing to fear...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asphere9 wrote:
Is there such a thing as a "Vorthos" Legendary player?

I have no idea what that is.....

asphere9 wrote:
My wife hated playing Hydra, so I played most of the schemes solo or converted them to Hero-side game sessions. So far, I have observed that villain allies do not mix well with heroes, and end up make my game group members wish they were not included in the hero deck, even when the comic calls for them.

Your wife has good taste and your observation matches mine. I have Villains, but it rarely hits the table. I think it's been used maybe six times. I don't care for Villains much at all.

asphere9 wrote:
Is there anyone who would like to offer a rationale for Fear Itself's value in terms of thematic gameplay, and overall significance in the Marvel Universe? I'm happy to entertain any sound general arguments or promotions of individual cards in the set.

I don't play the game the way you do, so I can't provide any insight or observations in that regard, but I can say that Fear Itself isn't a bad small box expansion from my perspective. There's only one character that's Hydra-centric and there are some good mechanics/key words that were added with this one.

I think it's worth picking up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have no idea what that is.....

Vorthos is a player-type defined by M:TG designers. There's Timmy, Johnny and Spike, and they intersect with Vorthos and Melvin.

Kinda like the D&D alignment system, now that I think about it.

asphere9 wrote:

Is there anyone who would like to offer a rationale for Fear Itself's value in terms of thematic gameplay, and overall significance in the Marvel Universe?

I've... got nothing...

The only thing interesting about that event was the title and the logo design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asphere9 wrote:
I have been playing ML scenarios in chronological order of hero, villain or schemes appearances in comic, using sites like supermegamonkey.net or uncannyxmen.net (thank you to those sites!) So far, my family is up to 1992, Spider-Man # 23, where Misterio and the Sinister Six stole a bunch of alien tech from another dimension, and proceeded to get their butts kicked by Spidey, Hulk, Nova, Ghost Rider, Solo, and the entire Fantastic Four (That was a fun one.) Whenever a new set comes out, we go back in time to pick up the issues new hero cards were included in.

Wow. This seems crazy to me. The amount of research involved!!!! Please feel free to share all of your setups with us. I'd be very interested to see how you've broken it all down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The schemes ‘The Traitor’ and ‘Last Stand at Avengers Tower’ could possibly come in handy for storylines where one Hero betrays the others, or where other Heroes are fighting the Avengers. Uru-Enchanted Iron Man and the Mighty might be good Adversaries to mix things up for civil war-type secenarioes too.

It does include versions of Absorbing Man, Titania and Attuma as Allies. I’m not sure if there are any Marvel storylines where they show up in Hero roles or work with the Heroes, but if there were you could use them. It sounds like your group doesn’t like cards that penalise other players, and there aren’t too many of those in this set as I recall (but I play solo so I could be mis-remembering). Thrown Artifact is a solid, fun mechanic as are Uru-Enchanted Weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
You're asking theme, not crunch which is a bit of a problem since I don't know you or what exactly you're looking for.

Fear Itself as a storyline, as I understand, had some effects on the Marvel Universe (as most big crossovers) which (again, like most crossovers) eventually gets rewritten or reset anyway.

It's like saying what's the significance of the Phoenix Saga if eventually Jean Grey comes back anyway.

As others noted, there are some charactesr that only appeared there, who may or may not have become heroes later on (I admit, I don't follow the latest comics).

I doubt you'll care thematically about The Mighty if you only care about the theme and want to skip this storyline.

Mechanically though? It had some really interesting options (Uru Enchanted) and some really terrible ones (Nul Smash).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I only know the story and themes of Fear Itself from the little description that starts the rule sheet. At one point Fear Itself was a big story arc, but the reviews of the set suggest it wasn't as well-received or remembered as Secret Wars or Age of Apocalypse. It was still a big story arc, however, and I don't know why in your desire to go through so many stories that Fear Itself doesn't qualify.

Personally I like Fear Itself quite a bit, and it has many good things going for it.

First, a common 'fact' about the set (its Allies are nobodies) is dead wrong. It's just that the character names are their Asgardian names, which we encounter rarely. We know Greithoth, Kuurth, Nerkkod, Nul, Skadi and Skirn as Absorbing Man, Juggernaut, Attuma, Hulk, Sin and Titania.

And there are several good things about the set. The idea of a Thrown Artifact is quite good, as it makes them vulnerable important features of the game, like Mastermind Strikes, while maintaining their power. The whole concept of Uru Weapons for Adversaries or Villains is also interesting. It's like the Berserk effect from X-Men but it empowers the bad guys. Further, I think the artwork from the whole set is nothing short of spectacular. After getting into this game, no set wowed me more than Fear Itself. And yes, that includes Dark City and X-Men.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murrell Sippy
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the problem with fear itself is you find yourself just wanting normal versions of the allies. It’d be like getting Iron Spider and never getting Spider-man. Or getting the Noir versions but not the standard. The art of the characters is the only thing that gives some clue as to who the hell some of those characters are if you don’t recognize the asgardian titles.

It was also a disliked storyline, which for me normally doesn’t make a difference, but combine that with the above and plenty of players buying it not realizing it was for the villain side at the time of purchase and it was a recipe for disaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
asphere9 wrote:

Wow. This seems crazy to me. The amount of research involved!!!! Please feel free to share all of your setups with us. I'd be very interested to see how you've broken it all down.

Marvel History Scenarios

That file is like 75 pages of thematic scenarios going back to Timely Comics in 1939 and covering the entirety of Marvel up to like 2016. 400+ scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
Trump wrote:
asphere9 wrote:

Marvel History Scenarios

That file is like 75 pages of thematic scenarios going back to Timely Comics in 1939 and covering the entirety of Marvel up to like 2016. 400+ scenarios.

And it´s awesome! Me and the wife are on page 13, having finished yesterday the scenario "Murderworld!".

Since the large majority is for two players for us is perfect! The ones for solo play i will deal with them myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murrell Sippy
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason to buy Fear Itself:

The villains have some of the most fun “plots” vs the heroes schemes, and adding a few more legit options with Villain flavored adversaries, plots, and commander may make it worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deutsch
msg tools
As others have noted, the overall significance of Fear Itself is low thanks to rewrites and retcons and multiverse shattering events.

Having said that, its thematic game play works very well. The allies you use are infused with awesome cosmic power and use that power to play around with the core deck cycling mechanic. It is a power that few heroes or allies get! Most of the allies are cooperative as opposed to competitive (one, Null Smash, is great: everyone slams their hand on the table and the last one to do so gets a binding, which fuels Null the way wounds fuel Hulk. Thrown artifacts are great and really tie in the feeling of having a powerful artifact on hand for the right moment.

The schemes are fun and well designed. They really do stretch the game as few sets have managed.

A word about Hydra starting decks, just have players chose the starter set of their choice and let Hyrda=SHIELD if it matters. That way you could have the two factions in an uneasy alliance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
Trump wrote:

Marvel History Scenarios

INSANE! I've downloaded the file and after I go through and mark out the stuff I don't own, I bet I'll still have a very interesting time ahead of me. THANKS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throwing Artifact is really fun to play with. That's my main draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheUbiquitous wrote:

Yup! Same here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
TheUbiquitous wrote:

Yup! Same here.

I've heard of "Thrown Artifact" but since I don't own that set, I've never read the rules on it. Now I have. Is it not just the same thing as Vigilant in Legendary Encounters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
DarthEd wrote:
TheUbiquitous wrote:

Yup! Same here.

I've heard of "Thrown Artifact" but since I don't own that set, I've never read the rules on it. Now I have. Is it not just the same thing as Vigilant in Legendary Encounters?

Similar but not quite, Vigilant usually gives just one set bónus, for exemple +2, or avoiding one strike.

The Thrown Artifact can build up quite a ton of damage depending on wich one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Facsantos wrote:
Trump wrote:
DarthEd wrote:
TheUbiquitous wrote:

Yup! Same here.

Similar but not quite, Vigilant usually gives just one set bónus, for exemple +2, or avoiding one strike.

The Thrown Artifact can build up quite a ton of damage depending on wich one.

Thrown Artifacts represent one of the most strategic keywords Legendary has ever introduced (another one is Teleport). You can use them optimally, as you decide when to activate them. For instance, one Thrown Artifact provides +2 attack for each Strength card played that turn. If you carefully plan your moves, you can end up with an insane amount of attack from just that Artifact! They also open up new decision trees...Should I use them now suboptimally, or should I wait for a hypothetical optimal move later on?

It's no wonder so many people consider them one of the best additions to Marvel Legendary!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sphere
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you everybody for all the thoughtful responses! I took a look at the set, and the Last Stand At Avenger's Tower would be key in completing the World War Hulk story line. I will get it once we get to 2007- just ten years to go...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sphere
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
Trump wrote:
asphere9 wrote:

Marvel History Scenarios

Terrific!, I always wonder if I should publish the scenarios we've done, this is very well researched!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asphere9 wrote:
swirlsaepi wrote:
Trump wrote:
asphere9 wrote:

Marvel History Scenarios

Terrific!, I always wonder if I should publish the scenarios we've done, this is very well researched!

The file was actually just updated this morning. It now includes Legendary content up through the Champions expansion, including recent comic book runs such as The Champions and Secret Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.