Subject: Another Biased (I am Dutch) Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C. J. Robinson
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
When this game became available, getting it was a no-brainer for me. My mother was Dutch. Her parents were both Dutch and even both were born in America, they would speak Dutch, usually in front of me and my brothers. They even corresponded with friends or relatives in the Netherlands since occasionally I would notice an envelope with Dutch postage in their home. Both my grandparents and my mother have passed, so this game is rather special.

Another reason for getting it is that I enjoyed the original Pandemic and the On the Brink expansion, and while I still own them, they haven't hit the table in a while. Instead, when I have a Pandemic itch, I play Pandemic: The Cure. So I viewed Pandemic: Rising Tide as a chance to revisit the original.

It should come as no surprise that I like P:RT. The holding back of flood waters is a welcome change from eradicating disease and I really feel the game captures the theme. And while some reviewers have indicated issues with the placement of rectangular wooden dikes on rivers which curve, I have not found it to a problem. My only gripe about the map is that putting muted orange-colored regions next to muted red-colored regions perhaps wasn't the best choice, as I have look twice in some cases to discern the difference.

Another issue is the use of the actual Dutch spelling of the various regions. Again, I don't see it as an issue. It enhances the theme and gives me an appreciation for how non-English gamers have to deal with the great number of games which use a North American or Great Britain map. (The use of the Welsh place names in Snowdonia is one of the reasons I enjoy that game.)

Some reviewers have also commented on how hard it is to beat the game. Theirs is a good point, but one cannot approach P:RT like regular Pandemic. Further, the difficulty is adjustable, and one can even make it easier than the Introductory level in the rulebook. Professional sports teams play a short exhibition season before the regular season. I advise the same for P:RT. For instance, use only 4 Storms and a couple of extra events than normal for your first few games as you learn the system, particularly if you are not familiar with Pandemic or it has been awhile since you have played it. Getting turned off of this intriguing game because one finds it initially difficult does a disservice to both the game and the gamer. While the game rewards good play, there is a learning curve, and some times the cards will not fall your way regardless.

I reluctantly mention this, since I don't want readers to take me to task for it. But I have one other issue; is it just me or do others find the drawing of the Dutch woman on the cover to be rather good-looking? Maybe it is because she reminds me of a girlfriend I had a long time ago, but I really find her attractive. I wish she had made it to one of the role cards.

This game is a solid 8 for me and I am looking forward to many more plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of these days, I'll get round to writing my review too and, no surprises, it will be rather positive. But that has nothing to do with my being Dutch. It has, however, everything to do with how well the game works, how thematically strong the spreading of the "disease" works in this Pandemic and, most importantly, how great an addition to the Pandemic family this game is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Palladin wrote:
My only gripe about the map is that putting muted orange-colored regions next to muted red-colored regions perhaps wasn't the best choice, as I have look twice in some cases to discern the difference.

Which are the Red and which are the Orange? I see only one region color which is somewhat in between those two colors (from Delfland to Zeeuws Vlaanderen). The other colors are Green, Yellow, and Purple.

Are you referring to the Yellow/Orange border (Delfland and Krome Rijn for example)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Neumann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
But I have one other issue; is it just me or do others find the drawing of the Dutch woman on the cover to be rather good-looking?

"beauty lies in the eye of the beholder" I think she might be more attractive to you than to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Stipetic
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic Iberia uses the Spanish and Portuguese names for the cities (no Lisbon, but Lisboa, etc). Though I would venture Spanish is closer to English than Dutch. Still, I like the idea of keeping local spelling/pronounciation; unless the language, of course, uses a different alphabet! I'm sure most would struggle with Pandemic Greece!

Also, Pandemic In the Lab has a learning curve as well; we got smoked the first three games, but eventually adapted to the needs of the game subconsciously. This is probably the case with Rising Tides, I'm guessing. Thanks for the review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V

Mount Oliver
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dutch is actually much more closely related to English. Both are Germanic languages. Spanish is a Romance language. Although I suspect most Americans have a modest exposure to Spanish and not any experience with Dutch, so when you see lots of consonants and ij's all jammed together we panic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Neumann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
Dutch is actually much more closely related to English.

Exactly. Just compare the not very senseful sentence "I have water." to "Ik heb water." to "Tengo agua". I, as a German, always thought that Dutch sounded like a mixture of German and English. Although Dutch/German are probably the precursor of the English language... so, do not be afraid of Dutch just go back to your roots
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.