Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
WARNER AIREY
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was having trouble reading the counters. I wasn't the only person who's eyes weren't keeping up with the task, I think.

I gave each Panzer Division a high contrast colour. And added a gray or black stripe to further distinguish between Light Blue versus Dark Blue; Lt Green versus Dk Green.

In addition, I printed out a larger map to 64" x 44" (double size). This makes the map a vast panorama, with the advantage of allowing three 3/4 inch counters to easily be displayed in a hex - with all stats in full view.

Now I can actually keep track of divisional integrity without a problem.

The style is blatantly inspired by the AVD counters. I left out divisional symbols from the Soviet units, as they are all divisions. I used "M" to mean Mech, and "Mot" to denote motorized.

I hope I'm not missing some here: Armor and Mech are functionally equivalent, yes? So I didn't use different colors for the Soviet units in this regard. Different tank silhouettes just for aesthetics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Lewis
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff, Warner!

Are you ready to share the files you used to print both map and counters? I hope so! Or better yet, for those of us without access to appropriate printers, what about printing and sending both maps and counters. We could figure that in individual correspondence with you.

Thanks!

TML [a retired professor in Oregon]

PS: I will need to consult the rules in my two copies of PGG to pin down the answer to your question about "missing something" vis-a-vis armor and mech. Actually that won't take too long -- I also have the rules in a PDF file. Back later!

PPS: Just did a quick read of the rules paying particular attention to the material relating to mech and armor. There does not seem to be a functional difference between the two, and that correseponds to my memory, although its benn almost two years since I had PGG on my table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the differences between the SPI and AH versions of the game. In AH, the backs of the Soviet Tank and Mech divisions is the same, in the SPI version, they are different. This makes a difference in that the Soviet knows the Mech divs are not zero when using the SPI counters.

The AH version is what JFD intended, it was a misprint in the SPI version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Lewis
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don Johnson wrote:
This is one of the differences between the SPI and AH versions of the game. In AH, the backs of the Soviet Tank and Mech divisions is the same, in the SPI version, they are different. This makes a difference in that the Soviet knows the Mech divs are not zero when using the SPI counters.

The AH version is what JFD intended, it was a misprint in the SPI version.

Good catch, Don. Both of my copies and my PDF rules are the original SPI versions.

Where can I find the documentation (source) for (of) your information so that I can follow it up? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Spetz

Tampa Bay Area -Pinellas County
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The later versions had the corrected counter backs.

While in the game, Soviet tank & mech units play the same, with the original SPI version, the untried side showed the different types. That would let the Soviet player know what ‘on average’ was stronger unit between them (mech units have higher strengths than tanks). That would let the Soviet player ‘game’ the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WARNER AIREY
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The counters should be on soon as files. Once approved and correctly uploaded. Added: Looks like they are uploaded ok. There are 4 files for the counters. Plus some extras.
[Correction] Ok, the CAV has "III" instead of "XX". But its a non-VP scoring independent division anyway, so doesn't matter. I reckon just blot out the "III" with a black marker pen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WARNER AIREY
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have added an Untried Units sheet. I couldn't cut the counters with enough precision. To ensure all untried units are properly hidden, I use the separate "blank" Untried counters. Then pick a proper unit out of the cup and substitute for an actual unit, when revealed.
I have added a German Reinforcements chart, with turn of entry and locations.
I might get around to doing a Soviet Reinforcements chart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.