Sword & Sorcery» Forums » General

Subject: Some issues i have with the game. Am I missing something? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Micah Shapiro
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Some issues I have with Sword & Sorcery.

i'm well onto my way with the second quest and bought a ton of gear from the shop. Also, all characters except Thorgar are level 2 now. And here are some of my initial complaints which I hope will be fixed with expansions:

There's hardly any armor and weapons to purchase. And some of them seem on par or maybe even inferior to some of the Stash equipment, especially weapons. And what's the deal with some of the bought weapons being exactly the same weapon that came in the Stash?

Secondly, I'm annoyed by Laegon's ability on his hero card. Dual wield, really? All the bows are two handed items, so I can't even equip a second weapon, and I feel like he should be wielding a bow. Anything other seems out of place. And there's like one bow to choose from in the shop.

Thirdly, why does Auriel seem so weak? Firstly, her starting staff is weak. I bought the wand and it also seems incredly weak. She seems to make up for it slightly with her spells, but my problem is they seem too zero sum. It's all or nothing, and it seems like a 50/50 chance of casting her AOE effects roughly. Boy i'd hate to play with her solo. Am I missing something here?

Overall, I love the game, but these are a few issues I have that kind of disappointed me. Maybe I should buy a couple Hero expansions to replace Auriel and Laegon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rutgurt wrote:
Some issues I have with Sword & Sorcery.

i'm well onto my way with the second quest and bought a ton of gear from the shop. Also, all characters except Thorgar are level 2 now. And here are some of my initial complaints which I hope will be fixed with expansions:

Some of your concerns are indeed fixed with expansions. I'll be more specific below.

Quote:
There's hardly any armor and weapons to purchase. And some of them seem on par or maybe even inferior to some of the Stash equipment, especially weapons.

Some weapon effects are good to have even though the damage may be lower than others.
The game is differentiated from other similar games because there is a limit to the availability of items and the Heroes are forced to pick subpar weapons, especially in bigger parties until they buy or find something better.
This directly contradicts the usual standard 'all heroes can get fully equipped right from the beginning of almost all other dungeon crawlers out there and this makes people feel weird about it. You do have to think how to equip your heroes as good as possible with the low quality weapons available. This is not necessarily a bad thing because it makes finding or buying a shiny new weapon more special.
I know I'm the minority on this one because I've read about people not happy with starting equipment one too many times but I think it adds to the game's wow factor when you eventually manage to get your hands on something better.
In other words, you need to have low quality items in the game to give more value to higher quality ones later on.
I think this article may explain it better than me.

Moreover, the expansions will add more items to the Emporium in order to reduce item scarcity for certain key items like shields. Shields were indeed needed because many heroes have their secondary weapon slot empty if you just have the base game.

Quote:
And what's the deal with some of the bought weapons being exactly the same weapon that came in the Stash?

The deal is the item scarcity concept I wrote above. If you have 4-5 heroes you need to spend money to buy some items to be able to equip all of them at the beginning of the game.

To use an example, imagine if ALL dungeon crawlers you've played started your hero item quality at a certain power level, let's give it a base rating of 0. Sword & Sorcery starts you at -2. You need to find the money to get to 0, then with a few treasure drops and by forging weapons you get to 1+ like all the other games of the genre. It's different, it's not standard procedure, I know that it alienates people but sometimes doing things differently is what makes a game stand out from the rest of the pile, even if that means players have to adapt and overcome. cool

Quote:
Secondly, I'm annoyed by Laegon's ability on his hero card. Dual wield, really? All the bows are two handed items, so I can't even equip a second weapon, and I feel like he should be wielding a bow.

You played with the wrong version of Laegon. The Good version is an archer. You chose Ranger which is a dual-wielding hero. Just exchange the card with the Archer and you are good to go.

Quote:
Anything other seems out of place.

It is not.

Quote:
And there's like one bow to choose from in the shop.

There is one bow because there is one real Archer in the game. Other characters prefer crossbows, wands or nothing as a ranged option. Shortbow is bad on its own, really bad when the Night effect in Quest 1 is active but it can do some nice combos with Consumable arrows + Expert talent...

In general, Quest 1 provides the party with a lot of low quality weapons but they are for free. So, use that inventory and equipment slots and fill them up with everything. Rank 1 heroes are not supposed to be so different from each other anyway. If you occasionally use a dagger with your Archer instead of a bow it's ok, you did nothing wrong. The real differentiation comes when heroes start getting specialized powers that boost certain weapons and styles. At that point, you need to stick to your preferred weapons.

Quote:
Thirdly, why does Auriel seem so weak? Firstly, her starting staff is weak. I bought the wand and it also seems incredly weak. She seems to make up for it slightly with her spells, but my problem is they seem too zero sum. It's all or nothing, and it seems like a 50/50 chance of casting her AOE effects roughly. Boy i'd hate to play with her solo. Am I missing something here?

Mages in this game are typical MMO/D&D mages. They start slow, they need protection until they can get a few levels then they become really powerful. Auriel is no different. You need to 'carry' the mage for a while then he/she will 'carry' you. That's how it goes. meeple

Quote:
Overall, I love the game, but these are a few issues I have that kind of disappointed me. Maybe I should buy a couple Hero expansions to replace Auriel and Laegon?

New heroes are good just because they are different enough from the others but both Auriel and Laegon are pretty good heroes when they rank up. I can't say buy or don't buy, if you don't think that you can wait to find out how they'll become powerful later then by all means buy a few hero packs and replace them. The point is to have fun, if you aren't having fun there is no point playing quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.