Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Dice Throne: Season Two» Forums » General

Subject: Why is it so much extra to have your game in one box? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally get the two fighter pack idea. They want to lower the cost of entry, but anyone getting a season pass level has to pay $25 extra for the privilege of having their game in one box instead of split across four (and even more with each season). Who thought that was a good idea? It is super annoying digging around through a bunch of boxes when you want to play something, especially a game as light as this, so realistically you pretty much have got to buy the box of you are getting all four sets.

Why not make the Champion edition a single box edition so people don't have to pay $25 extra for their game to be packed like any other game? Offering that kind of thing is exactly what Kickstarter is perfect for since you have people paying upfront for the full set.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Go look up Scythe's giant box to put everything together.

People will pay for it.

That's as complex as it is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, but then the Champion level would go up in price (someone has to pay for this KS exclusive box you are proposing) and then people who don't mind four separate boxes would be complaining that they are paying too much (heck, people are already complaining that they are paying too much (Is Season 2 really worth $60?)).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
laserjudas wrote:
Go look up Scythe's giant box to put everything together.

People will pay for it.

That's as complex as it is.
Not the same. Scythe has one box that holds everything and is a huge game with big expasions.

This is a decision to split one box of content into four and change $25 extra to put it back together. That is also just for one season. They said they are planning 10 so you can have 40 boxes or pay $250 to have 10.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
Sure, but then the Champion level would go up in price (someone has to pay for this KS exclusive box you are proposing) and then people who don't mind four separate boxes would be complaining that they are paying too much (heck, people are already complaining that they are paying too much (Is Season 2 really worth $60?)).
Why would it cost more? I am proposing you get the content in one box of you pledge for all of them and you do not receive the separate smaller boxes at all. That is less cardboard, and the Champion edition is already a separate product. They also said a lot of the issues of the bigger box is shipping the empty box. This would solve that too since it wouldn't be a large empty additional box, it would be the only box.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
chearns wrote:
Sure, but then the Champion level would go up in price (someone has to pay for this KS exclusive box you are proposing) and then people who don't mind four separate boxes would be complaining that they are paying too much (heck, people are already complaining that they are paying too much (Is Season 2 really worth $60?)).
Why would it cost more? I am proposing you get the content in one box of you pledge for all of them and you do not receive the separate smaller boxes at all. That is less cardboard, and the Champion edition is already a separate product. They also said a lot of the issues of the bigger box is shipping the empty box. This would solve that too since it wouldn't be a large empty additional box, it would be the only box.

Because the factories that produce these things don't charge the same for 4000 small boxes and 100 special boxes as they do for 4400 small boxes. In terms of resources, you are right, it is the same thing. In terms of pricing policies by manufacturers, totally different.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Who thought that was a good idea?"

"Go look up Scythe's giant box to put everything together.

People will pay for it.

That's as complex as it is. "

I answered your question. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean the situations are different.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
chearns wrote:
Sure, but then the Champion level would go up in price (someone has to pay for this KS exclusive box you are proposing) and then people who don't mind four separate boxes would be complaining that they are paying too much (heck, people are already complaining that they are paying too much (Is Season 2 really worth $60?)).
Why would it cost more? I am proposing you get the content in one box of you pledge for all of them and you do not receive the separate smaller boxes at all. That is less cardboard, and the Champion edition is already a separate product. They also said a lot of the issues of the bigger box is shipping the empty box. This would solve that too since it wouldn't be a large empty additional box, it would be the only box.

Because the factories that produce these things don't charge the same for 4000 small boxes and 100 special boxes as they do for 4400 small boxes. In terms of resources, you are right, it is the same thing. In terms of pricing policies by manufacturers, totally different.
There are currently 67 backers NOT getting a pledge that includes all four characters. It is currently 4x4000 small boxes + 2000 empty boxes instead of my proposal of just 4000 "special" boxes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
chearns wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
chearns wrote:
Sure, but then the Champion level would go up in price (someone has to pay for this KS exclusive box you are proposing) and then people who don't mind four separate boxes would be complaining that they are paying too much (heck, people are already complaining that they are paying too much (Is Season 2 really worth $60?)).
Why would it cost more? I am proposing you get the content in one box of you pledge for all of them and you do not receive the separate smaller boxes at all. That is less cardboard, and the Champion edition is already a separate product. They also said a lot of the issues of the bigger box is shipping the empty box. This would solve that too since it wouldn't be a large empty additional box, it would be the only box.

Because the factories that produce these things don't charge the same for 4000 small boxes and 100 special boxes as they do for 4400 small boxes. In terms of resources, you are right, it is the same thing. In terms of pricing policies by manufacturers, totally different.
There are currently 67 backers NOT getting a pledge that includes all four characters. It is currently 4x4000 small boxes + 2000 empty boxes instead of my proposal of just 4000 "special" boxes.

I think their plan is for KS backers to be a minority of the overall production, not the majority. At least, I hope that's their plan. Otherwise they'll be doing the whole thing at a loss.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
laserjudas wrote:
"Who thought that was a good idea?"

"Go look up Scythe's giant box to put everything together.

People will pay for it.

That's as complex as it is. "

I answered your question. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean the situations are different.
It doesn't put everything together. You can have one box for ALL of Scythe. This is $25 extra for a box to hold 1/2 to potentially 1/10 of the game. You don't have to buy 10 empty boxes for Scythe.

Spending extra on a huge box once to hold all of a huge game is worth it. Spending $25 for a normal size box hold a fraction of a game that could have been (and in season 1 was) a single product isn't.

BTW I have both the Scythe Legendary box (I paid $21 for it) and Dice Throne Season 1 box. After comparing them, I can tell you that the Scythe box could easily hold more than 4x the content of the Season 1 box.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett MacDonald
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s more than just that though. The battle chest price includes shipping and shipping for a box that big is going to be a good chunk of the $25. Add on a small production run (costs more per box), vac trays, and some development costs (and likely some small profit margin) and you get $25.

The 2 player boxes are the normal format moving forward so this is not something they will be making many of and is in line with what I have seen other campaigns charge. Not sure I’m going to get it myself as I can live with the 4 boxes... but I might end up going epic anyway since I want 5e sleeves and it’s not much more to go up to epic from there.

Still I do see your point but I would not have expected it for under $20 shipped... so $25 is in the right ballpark
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eflin wrote:
It’s more than just that though. The battle chest price includes shipping and shipping for a box that big is going to be a good chunk of the $25. Add on a small production run (costs more per box), vac trays, and some development costs (and likely some small profit margin) and you get $25.

The 2 player boxes are the normal format moving forward so this is not something they will be making many of and is in line with what I have seen other campaigns charge. Not sure I’m going to get it myself as I can live with the 4 boxes... but I might end up going epic anyway since I want 5e sleeves and it’s not much more to go up to epic from there.

Still I do see your point but I would not have expected it for under $20 shipped... so $25 is in the right ballpark
I don't have a problem with the $25 for an extra box. What I have a problem with is the extra box itself.

The Champion edition is already a small, one-off, production run. Actually its 4 separate ones, and then a firth small production run for this additional box. On top of that nearly everyone (more than 98% of backers) in the KS is buying all 4 packs. It would save everyone trouble and money, Roxley included, if the Champion edition was just a single box with all 8 fighters. In reality, I don't think anyone prefers 4 boxes, it is just a mechanism to help them sell more of the game later so there isn't much reason for backers to needlessly absorb that cost now in the Champion edition too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett MacDonald
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha. I am on the same page and have said I wished they made an all in box for the KS only. Would have made a good KS exclusive that was not hurtful to the game in the long run (like swirl dice). I guess the silver lining is the updated trays for season one

I think they were truly surprised how much people wanted the one box and the battle chest was something they scrambled to put together in the short time between the 2 player box reveal and the campaign that would not impact schedule.

Hopefully for next time they poll a couple loyal backers to get feedback ahead of time... for example the season one remaster also seems to be a lot bigger/wanted than they anticipated (or not and it’s just PR talk) and both that and the big box were the first things I think many backers noticed and asked about
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The two-fighter packs feel nickle and dimey and make storage/transportation a nightmare. Auto-pass for me. The campaign seems to be doing fine anyway, so what do I know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett MacDonald
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
The two-fighter packs feel nickle and dimey and make storage/transportation a nightmare. Auto-pass for me. The campaign seems to be doing fine anyway, so what do I know.


The 2 player boxes are roughly the same price point per hero as what the large box would have been. So the 2 player boxes are more flexible and less greedy of them I think. You can pick and choose which heroes you want instead of having to buy 8 heroes to only get a couple you want.

I think the 2 player boxes are definitely the right choice for major retail
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
Hic Sunt Leones
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You bring up a good point: the people who are KSing this are likely huge fans and would bring all 8+6 heroes to whatever event they're going to anyway, why not include the chest in the "Champion" tier.

I've backed it and am a hair away from adding the chest but now am wondering. Why bother backing at $60 + Shipping when I could likely get it cheaper at release (because the campaign is definitely succeeding)? It's like a Kickstarter-existential-crisis...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
The two-fighter packs feel nickle and dimey and make storage/transportation a nightmare. Auto-pass for me. The campaign seems to be doing fine anyway, so what do I know.


If the 2p boxes end up being $20, that means it's $20 to try the game instead of 60-80 for everything in one drop.

That's a lot easier to swallow if you end up not liking the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LetsOlympics wrote:
You bring up a good point: the people who are KSing this are likely huge fans and would bring all 8+6 heroes to whatever event they're going to anyway, why not include the chest in the "Champion" tier.

I've backed it and am a hair away from adding the chest but now am wondering. Why bother backing at $60 + Shipping when I could likely get it cheaper at release (because the campaign is definitely succeeding)? It's like a Kickstarter-existential-crisis...


If after KS the boxes are $20, but $15 online, it's the same price for everything, except that you get swanky dice and some bonus extras this way.

No crisis at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.