Subject: I'm going there...Jane who? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S C
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that someone on the design team wanted a female main character, that's fine. However why didn't you just make it Marian? Instead we have a princess in a tower trope and some random person with no relavence to robin hood.

You may rightly ask why it matters? Simply put, everyone is going to ask who this token person is every time you get the game out.

It's like having a star wars cooperative with Luke, Han, Chewie and Phyllis to save princess Leia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Neale
United Kingdom
Finedon
Northants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 I was like "Wait... What... [rewind video] Yep, I didn't just have a brain fart". It even sent me on a search through my library of various Robin Hood poems, ballads and tales to see if I'd missed her.
Maybe she was in that awful BBC show that I refused to watch?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katharina Schrempf
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Maid Marian is a stretch goal? But I agree, that if there is only one female character, it should be Marian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moore
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
designer
badge
'This War Without an Enemy'
mbmbmbmbmb
This was addressed some weeks ago by the principle designer on Facebook. He wanted a female player character because the game isn't just targeted at boys and men but also at girls and women, some of who prefer to play female characters - in particular, it may have been his daughter who asked for this. I can't remember why it wasn't Maid Marian, but I think her character already fulfilled a different role in the game. Robin Hood had seven score followers, few of whom are named in any of the ballads or stories, and it's not unreasonable that some of them were women.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
janos_hunyadi wrote:
I think her character already fulfilled a different role in the game.

Yeah, the prize.

It's a euro game, few people really care about the plot. Could easy have it being Robin himself that was captured and the other merry men think 'oh no we are doomed'. Then have Marian in a role reversal raise their spirts and challenge them to a competition to save Robin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not at least use a female character that already exists in some of the Robin Hood ballads like Clorinda, queen of the shepherdesses?

If not that, then what about varying one of the other known Merry Men to be female eg Ellen a Dale, Jill Scarlet etc

Finally, if instead of rescuing Marian you had to rescue King Richard, that would allow Marian to act as a player character and play into Richard I Couer de lion’s proclivity for being captured and ransomed in both real life and fictional representations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron J
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scott3387 wrote:
It's like having a star wars cooperative with Luke, Han, Chewie and Phyllis to save princess Leia.

Agreed though, it's silly and rather distracting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chesterton wrote:
[q="scott3387"]It's like having a star wars cooperative with Luke, Han, Chewie and Phyllis to save princess Leia.

You underestimate the power of Phyllis battling the dark side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

I think we can deduce from the game's title, that Jane wasn't merry.

I suppose that might be an advantage if the going gets tough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moore
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, others are complaining about the lack of female players characters in this game! Given that, with the KS stretch goals, there will be several characters to choose from (both male and female), I don't see how the inclusion of a character called Jane Fortune could be a problem for anyone. If you want to go for all male characters, then replace Jane with Alan-A-Dale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moore
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rosie_187 wrote:
Why not at least use a female character that already exists in some of the Robin Hood ballads like Clorinda, queen of the shepherdesses?

Because hardly anyone has heard of her, so it wouldn't be any different from using a newly invented character. Besides, she only appears in a single ballad, composed for a specific event, which is not part of the mainstream of the legend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
janos_hunyadi wrote:
rosie_187 wrote:

Because hardly anyone has heard of her, so it wouldn't be any different from using a newly invented character. Besides, she only appears in a single ballad, composed for a specific event, which is not part of the mainstream of the legend.

So this is an opportunity to introduce more people to less well known characters that do appear in existing versions of the stories.

There is very clearly a difference between "minor character that already exists" and "character made up whole cloth". It may not matter to you, but there are undoubtedly some people who would care. I appreciate it when games broaden my knowledge by, for example, including lesser known aspects of something that I might have a limited existing knowledge of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
janos_hunyadi wrote:
Hmm, others are complaining about the lack of female players characters in this game! Given that, with the KS stretch goals, there will be several characters to choose from (both male and female), I don't see how the inclusion of a character called Jane Fortune could be a problem for anyone. If you want to go for all male characters, then replace Jane with Alan-A-Dale.

Lack of female characters is a far lesser sin than the literal princess in a tower trope this game has. Both problems could be solved with a different story (doing pretty much anything because put bluntly its a euro game) and then being able to use Marian as a 'base game' character.

You can throw in as many random new women as you want in stretch goals however, as people expect a bit of non-canon in those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vojkan Krstevski
Macedonia
Skopje
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Hey guys,

Wanted to tell you that we are monitoring the comments and understand your points.

This being a crowdfunding game, we are not just asking the "crowd" for funds, but we want to use the "crowd" for feedback and additions to the game.

The team sat down to discuss the plot in the game and we can confirm that there will be minor changes to it, in order to "free" Marian from the tower and use her as a playable character. Once we unlock the announced SGs, we are adding her in the game.

While we are here, I want to ask you what other female characters you want to see in the game that are mentioned in the ballads/stories. Unfortunately we cannot use characters from the movies because we would be stepping in copyright infringement territory.

Sound off in the comments
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ Johnson
msg tools
Unfortunately, outside of Maid Marian, there are no mainstream female characters. Sure there are individual females that take place in single stories (Like the above mentioned Clorinda, or Ellen of Diarwood -Alan A Dales bride-, and maybe a couple others) So to get more female characters you basically have 3 choices:

1. Get creative and use a version of the lesser known females like mentioned above: Ellen A Dale, etc.

2. Create new, original female characters(Like the TV Shows and Movies do)

or

3. Make male characters into female(also mentioned): Jill Scarlett, Midge the Millers Daughter, etc.

Excited to see what you guys do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vojkan Krstevski
Macedonia
Skopje
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Here is the update that I talked about few days ago. Thanks for the feedback guys, it was a mistake not to include her from the start

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/512772051/robin-hood-an...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wakefield Morys-Carter
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falco84 wrote:
While we are here, I want to ask you what other female characters you want to see in the game that are mentioned in the ballads/stories. Unfortunately we cannot use characters from the movies because we would be stepping in copyright infringement territory.

Sound off in the comments

However, you could presumably use female characters with names and backgrounds inspired by TV/movie characters. e.g. Catelin & Beth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.