11 Posts

The War: Europe 1939-1945» Forums » Rules

Subject: airbases at start rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Lapinou
France
flag msg tools
Country cards show a number of aibases for each country.
Based on the rest of the info and because these numbers do not match rule 11.1.1, I assume they refer to starting number of airbases at the start of the campaign.

Can anyone please confirm?

Also, what are the US going to do with 5 Airbases at start ??

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin,

If you're referring to the Country Cards, these lay out the entire set of assets for a Major Power. You may not exceed these numbers during the course of the game, and you need to pay for them when that particular time frame arrives (i.e. Fall 1943).

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Copley
United States
Cumberland Center
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
The Professor wrote:
Robin,

If you're referring to the Country Cards, these lay out the entire set of assets for a Major Power. You may not exceed these numbers during the course of the game, and you need to pay for them when that particular time frame arrives (i.e. Fall 1943).

Cheers,
Joe

Hi Joe - thanks for fielding this one. Also, to elaborate: the U.S. bases are obviously unneeded as long as US units are in the US Box. But they'll be needed in places like North Africa once US units appear on the board.

regards,

ernie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lapinou
France
flag msg tools
Hi both of you

Thanks for answering quickly, but I must say I am completely lost with the answers:

Rule 11.1.1 says that "There are national limits to such airbase construction:
Germany, 6; Italy, 3; Soviets, 5; British, 6; Americans, 5; and French, 1."

But country cards indicate:
Germany 4; Italy 2; Soviets 2; British 3; US 4; France 1

The counter mix seems to agree with the rulebook. (Althoug in my sad case I appear to have lost 2 German airbases when moving in soblue )

In addition, in the case of Germany, the country card shows 4 fortifications. And I believe they are present at start because it is consistent with the scenario book that clearly says they have 4 free fortifications at start (Siegfried line).

Although I still don't really see the point of the US having 4 airbases at start (obviously they need several of them when at war), all this seem consistent: country cards show at start forces (although not the fortresses...) and rule 11.1.1 states the max number that can be built.

Otherwise there is an errata in the rulebook.

Am I wrong ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Copley
United States
Cumberland Center
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Agabdir wrote:
Hi both of you

Thanks for answering quickly, but I must say I am completely lost with the answers:

Rule 11.1.1 says that "There are national limits to such airbase construction:
Germany, 6; Italy, 3; Soviets, 5; British, 6; Americans, 5; and French, 1."

But country cards indicate:
Germany 4; Italy 2; Soviets 2; British 3; US 4; France 1

The counter mix seems to agree with the rulebook. (Althoug in my sad case I appear to have lost 2 German airbases when moving in soblue )

In addition, in the case of Germany, the country card shows 4 fortifications. And I believe they are present at start because it is consistent with the scenario book that clearly says they have 4 free fortifications at start (Siegfried line).

Although I still don't really see the point of the US having 4 airbases at start (obviously they need several of them when at war), all this seem consistent: country cards show at start forces (although not the fortresses...) and rule 11.1.1 states the max number that can be built.

Otherwise there is an errata in the rulebook.

Am I wrong ?

Hello, Robin, in order:

1) the country cards are correct, but there is no contradiction with the rules; for example, Germany starts with four airbases, and can build two more, for a total of 6. The counter mix should support the max # one can build.

2)yes, the German get 4 fortifications to start a 1939 campaign game scenario;

3) the US airbases at start (assuming it's a Fall 1939 start) will do what all other US counters are doing at start, which is sitting quietly in the US Box, or on the US country card until they are needed (e.g., until the US enters the war);

hope this helps,

ernie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lapinou
France
flag msg tools
Okay I prefer that way
everything clear then.

I was wondering for the at start US airbases, because I was thinking that unlike other units they could not be stratmove, but actually they CAN be stratmove or dismantled. Anywawys that's not a big.
The issue is solved

thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Copley
United States
Cumberland Center
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Agabdir wrote:
Okay I prefer that way
everything clear then.

I was wondering for the at start US airbases, because I was thinking that unlike other units they could not be stratmove, but actually they CAN be stratmove or dismantled. Anywawys that's not a big.
The issue is solved

thank you

Hi Robin - Okay good. One clarification: the US need not stratmove airbases to Europe. The US player can just build them in friendly hexes on the European map board.

Glad to help,

ernie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lapinou
France
flag msg tools
Hi Ernie,

Sure, but according to 11.1.2 if airbases are already built (which is the case of the 4 US bases at start) dismantling and rebuilding them alsewhere will cost either 5 NARFs (in operations segment) or 2 SMP (because of the fleet) in SM segment.

It seems to me that it means these 4 airbases are a liablility to the US... But since nothing seem to oppose that the US player dismantles them (for free?) during the build segment of any turn before US entry, they will jus be dismantled in Fall 39 and wait in the force pool to be built for free after the US enter the war.

I think...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Copley
United States
Cumberland Center
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Agabdir wrote:
Hi Ernie,

Sure, but according to 11.1.2 if airbases are already built (which is the case of the 4 US bases at start) dismantling and rebuilding them alsewhere will cost either 5 NARFs (in operations segment) or 2 SMP (because of the fleet) in SM segment.

It seems to me that it means these 4 airbases are a liablility to the US... But since nothing seem to oppose that the US player dismantles them (for free?) during the build segment of any turn before US entry, they will jus be dismantled in Fall 39 and wait in the force pool to be built for free after the US enter the war.

I think...

Hi Robin - the US bases are not built at start - they're just sitting there on the force pool card, or if a player prefers, in the US Box. They are available, but not yet built. Just place them for free in Europe during the build segment,

hope this helps,

ernie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lapinou
France
flag msg tools
Well... but then what is the difference between the airbases in the at start forces (listed on the country cards) and the airbases in force pool (listed in rule 11.1.1) ?

In other words, for other nations, does Germany for instance start the game with 4 airbases to place on the map ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Copley
United States
Cumberland Center
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Agabdir wrote:
Well... but then what is the difference between the airbases in the at start forces (listed on the country cards) and the airbases in force pool (listed in rule 11.1.1) ?

In other words, for other nations, does Germany for instance start the game with 4 airbases to place on the map ?

Hello Robin - Germany starts with 4 airbases they can place on any eligible friendly hexes. They usually don't need that many at start, but they have them if they want to place them.

The rules (11.1.1) refer to the max number they can have on the board - which means Germany can deploy a grand total of six, assuming they want to add 2 more to their starting number, which is four.

Hope this helps,

ernie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.